Sequel: Eclat
Status: finished.

Smirt

Seventeen.

I never went to the airport. I had gotten used to staying in town for all my life; getting out was rarely an option. Vacations? Get real. I only left town to visit sick relatives but other than that, I was stuck. Ellie Turner had the opportunity to leave this shithole town two years ago. She took advantage of that chance and left the boy she supposedly loved behind. Ellie never looked back because of her big city dreams.

That boy was me.

Where the hell is she? I glanced at one of the many clocks on the wall, noticing that she was late. Ellen Grace Turner was never late. It was one of those moments where I wished she never came back. But then there she was; long brown hair in a messy ponytail, a smile on her face, dimples ever present.

“Chrissy! Oh, it’s been too damn long.” Ellie threw her arms around me after dropping her bags. I hugged her back and kissed her cheek. Any bystander would immediately think we were a couple and not old friends. If only it were true.

She took a step back, her small hands holding mine. “You look so different. Hair, tattoos, piercings. . . What would your mama say, boy?” Ellie couldn’t hide her accent, no matter how many acting classes she took. It would always be there and that was it.

“It wouldn’t matter anyway. Parents divorced and kicked me outta the house. I didn’t finish high school, Ellie.” I began to explain the past two years she’d missed of my life. When I was done, I took her bags and went to the car. Carter honked the horn and waved as Ellie passed by en route to the passenger’s seat.

“You’re still making music then?” she asked after I put her bags in the trunk and got in the car. “I remember you loved writing songs and singing ‘em to me.”

“I’m still making music,” I responded as Carter maneuvered the car out of the airport.

“Chris is pretty close to a record deal,” Carter boasted, much to my dismay. I wasn’t the type to show off or brag. “Don’t be surprised if you see him on a billboard in New York City soon, Ellie.”

Ellie giggled. “I know he’s talented, Carter. So, when you’re famous, we can live in the city together. That would be fun, huh? Just like old times.”

Just like old times. “Yeah, wouldn’t that be great.”

“And not to be too pushy, but I heard you replaced me while I was gone.” Her tone was light and teasing; I already knew what she was going to say though.

“Really? What did you hear?”

“Dahlia Bennett. She was such a quiet girl in high school,” Ellie said with a laugh, “you don’t remember her, right?”

“Should I?”

“No, she went to another high school. But I’ve seen her around. Before I left, I mean.” She looked back at me. “Are you two together. . .?”

“No,” I replied quickly, “we’re just friends.”

Ellie smiled, relief showing on her face. “Ok. I was just wonderin’.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I just noticed that the last two chapters were in Dahlia's POV.
D: Then I wrote chapter seventeen (which is now chapter eighteen) in her POV again.
I am such a space cadet.

Anyway, I don't know why the amount of subscribers keeps
lessening then adding up to more, but alright, I'll take it!

Just a little reminder, comments are appreciated. <3

P.S. Here's a picture of Ellie.