It's Not So Dark When We're Together

Twenty-Nine

Ed’s POV

I heard a few screams echo outside the bus and for some reason i felt my stomach drop. I hoped it was just the fans screaming at something but i knew i should check it out anyway. Alex and Amy had also heard it and Amy had just headed to the window as i headed to the door. As i went to pull it open Amy turned to look at me her face white as she ran making me nearly pull the door of it’s hinges in hastiness.

Amy had already gotten past me and was knelt beside Elena’s head, who was lay unconscious on the ground and shaking uncontrollably. I could see Amy gently trying to steady Amy’s head and i threw my jacket to her for her to place underneath. A fan was already on the phone to an ambulance whilst another was stood watching in horror as Alex to, with a handful of jackets emerged from the bus.

He carefully placed them over Elena, her lips were chapped and turning an ice blue. By now i was on my knees in the snow, not caring how cold was as i held Elena’s hand in mine. Her face growing ever more pale as minutes etched by slowly. A fan had darted around from the corner to inform us the ambulance was here as i watched Elena’s body continue to shake.

I stepped back and beside amy and Alex as paramedics worked helping her and getting her as warm as possible, congratulating us on our quick actions to help her. Once she was tucked away in the back of the ambulance we were informed that if we headed up and went to reception we would be taken somewhere private. I nodded in half taking in the information. I felt arms hug me and turned to see that Amy was hugging me, which actually comforted me a little, she was an amazing friend to have around. Alex’s long bony fingers were soon also pressed lightly onto my shoulder his arm supportive around me as Gary informed the other three we would be back just before the show.

As i sat inside the taxi my head on it’s own tangent. It was my fault i should of got her into the warm sooner, she was already getting ill with a cold. I felt helpless as i sat that wanting to see her, wanting to know what was wrong completely. The others were silent the whole journey there, something i actually wished that they weren’t it was sending me crazy. I looked over to Amy who was staring blankly out of the frosty window, her eyes half glazed over in the reflection i could see. I placed my hand onto her shoulder and she jumped slightly before turning to face me. Her eyes glistened as the setting sun shone through the window, Alex leaning over my lap to hold her hand as i gave her shoulder a gentle squeeze, the only thing i could manage in the back of the taxi.

We were soon seated in some room off the main hospital corridor awaiting a nurse. My eyes darted around to see saddened faces, my heart breaking as i thought of the last scene, Elena lay there with blue lips a pale face. I hadn’t noticed the door open and a nurse step in until the high pitched and caring tone calmly hit my ears.

“Mr Minton and friends, for Miss Night?”

“Yes, how is she?”

My voice was quiet as i tried not to allow my emotions to run wild. I couldn’t just break down here, that would happen if she was really ill.

“Miss Night is stable Mr Minton...”

“Ed”

“Ed, then, she is still unconscious which is safest whilst her body strengthens itself from the hypothermia she is suffering with. We will know mreo once her body starts reacting to the medication she has been put on. If you follow e i shall take you to see her though.”

“Thank you”

I took the first steps and followed fairly closely behind the nurse. I could hear Alex’s large feet echoing slightly of the clean floors, Gary’s slight taps whereas Amy’s footsteps were silent. I actually had to look back to check she was following she was but her head was bowed as she walked beside Alex, whose arm was wrapped around her frame.

As we stood outside the room a moment i looked in, Elena lay there in a hospital bed again. How much would she be hating this i. I wanted to take her into my arms, hold her close to my chest whilst she lay there, angelic. It bought back memories as i entered the room, memories of what Lucy had done to her. A sharp pain stabbed my chest and head as those memories flicked through my mind and i jolted unexpectedly. I felt arms on me again and i shook them off.

“I’m fine, just memories coming back.”

“If your sure Ed, but please let me know if you need some air at any time.”

“Thanks Gary i will be fine though.”

I stepped over taking the delicate hand into my own, our figners had always entwined perfectly together and i smiled as i looked down, she was wearing a bracelet that i had bought her whilst shopping before the fire, i started to feel tears build up slightly but managed to hold them back.

Amy was sat the other side with Alex perched on the edge of the chair she was sat in. I looked up at them and smiled.

“I know Elena will make it, she’s strong, stronger than me. I just need to be patient.”

I watched amy nod in agreement as she smiled slightly before resting her head against Alex’s shoulder letting out a deep sigh.

“She’s probably cursing right now, another trip in here as if we haven’t all visiting hospital rooms enough so far.”

I stood and kissed Elena’s cheek and forehead before settling down. We had an hour to sit here, allow me time with her before the show. We could then return tomorrow morning during visiting hours. The nurse had informed Gary outside the room that Elena would not be awoke til at least tomorrow, dependant on her body’s reaction throughout the night. I had good feelings though, but would feel so much relief when she was awake and well again, i knew my body could cope though, at the moment this didn’t seem as bad as the first admittance Elena had, and i hope that good feeling would stay.