It's Not So Dark When We're Together

Sixty- Seven

Amy’s POV

Caleb was now 6 months old. I couldn’t believe how quickly time had flown by although my body was showing it had been a while. Caleb had finally started sleeping through the night at 4 months old, which gave me and Alex a few hours together and also time to catch up on months of lost sleep.

As Caleb slept at 5 am i was downstairs getting myself a glass of water. I soon heard Alex’s footsteps come down the stairs.

“How come your up so early?”

“i needed a drink, I’m coming back to bed in a moment. Go and get some sleep you look worn out Lex.”

Alex soon dragged himself back to bed. As i got in the bedroom he was sprawled out on the mattress fast asleep again. I settled back down beside him as he moved closer to my side of the bed. Kissing his forehead i settled down unable to sleep anymore.

By 7 am i was downstairs feeding Caleb some breakfast, which he decided towards the end was more fun to throw at me. I didn’t realise Alex was now awake as i ducked avoiding the good aim my son had, the slop that was once his breakfast leaving his hand and striking his dad straight in the face with a squelching sound.

I stood up straight and turned around to see Alex suddenly wide awake with the shock of the food hitting him, Caleb sat in his highchair giggling hysterically at what he had done. Alex slowly walked towards Caleb, his arms outstretched.

“I’m coming to get you little man, I’m coming....... I’m coming ........... I got you.”

Alex then started to tickle Caleb who was now in a little giggle fit. It was so adorable and i couldn’t help but watch on smiling as father and son laughed together. Once alex had picked Caleb up out his chair and sat him on his lap cleaning the food off him i set about tidying up all the porridge that now coated the floor and sides as well as the high chair. Once Alex had gotten Caleb dressed in a pair of jeans and a striped rugby top i got myself ready. I took Caleb into the living room whist we waited for Alex to get ready knowing that Dan, Ed and Elena would be here soon followed by Alex’s parents.

As we settled Caleb sat in-between me and Alex on the sofa a couple of toys in his lap i smiled. He was content sat between us both although he soon wanted to stand up as the door knocker went and Alex got up. I lifted Caleb to his feet and he stood leaning against the back of the sofa looking through the doorway waiting for faces to emerge. I had turned on my side holding him up straight since he wasn’t yet stable on his feet. Soon Dan came practically running into the living room.

As i watched, Caleb’s face seem to light up more. Dan was soon sat down the other side of Caleb who was hanging on to Dan’s shirt trying to pull himself up. Dan took Caleb onto his lap and stood there dancing to some of the advertisements no the TV with him. Ed and Elena soon emerged with Alex following behind them as they settled onto the other sofa. Elena sat down as best as she could what with been due in a couple of weeks it was a little difficult. Alex sat beside me arm around my shoulders as he watched Dan with Caleb who was now sat playing with the toy car with Caleb on the sofa.

Elena soon started a conversation though.

“How’s he doing, since he’s getting pretty big now.”

“He’s fine, managed to hit his dad in the face with some porridge this morning since i ducked to avoid it.”

“Looks like he’s already picked up Alex’s mischievous side, guarantee he get’s some of Dan’s mischief to.”

“More than likely, I’m sure it will be worse when he’s walking, he’s easy to lose in this place.”

We sat talking for a while and soon Alex’s parents also arrived. They always enjoyed visiting and spending time with their first grandchild and seeing how he was growing, he was spoilt to and was always bought a new toy by them. It was probably cause of that i was always managing to fall over toys somewhere in the house.

*********************************************
Elena’s POV

It was two weeks after my due date and finally i was in labour. Ed was going to be with me during he birth but after what happened with alex i asked Amy if she minded waiting around.

As my contractions got stronger i was as ready as i could be to give birth. I had gas and air to help with the pain as i started to push, Ed’s hand been squashed with my own as he stood beside me brushing my hair off my face. Having ed beside whispering sweet little comments and encouragement in my ear i felt a little more at ease despite all the pain of giving birth.

It didn’t help that the baby had decided 5 am was the perfect time to escape the confines of my womb. Meaning that i was pretty exhausted as well as Ed. It took a while but Ed stood by through it all not even feeling the slightest bit queasy as finally baby was born.

Taking in a deep sigh i smiled as the sound of a cry started to erupt from the opposite side of the room. The nurse smiled at me as Ed wiped my face from the sweat and moving strands of hair from my face. Soon the nurse walked over a bundle of white blankets in her arms.

I was soon handed mine and Ed’s daughter as i sat up in bed. The little bundle seemed so small compared to having seen Caleb two weeks ago. I smiled looking down at the little face, Ed sat right beside watching our daughter as she lay in my arms. I handed her over to ed who gently took her moving the blanket a little to get a better look at her. I smiled watching him and how careful and caring he was gently rocking her so she didn’t start to cry.

It wasn’t long before we were moved onto the maternity ward in a little more privacy for the rest of the day and the night. As our daughter slept me and Ed finally confirmed her name as we signed the birth certificate, she was to be called Angel Rae Minton. The name ran of the tongue easily and we had decided her Japanese side of the family would be included in the name. Letting her sleep Ed lay beside me on the bed feet dangling off the end. I rested my head onto his shoulder smiling as i looked up into his perfect eyes.

“Our daughter Angel Rae Minton, alongside Caleb Davies. I’m sure the two will be great friends when older to. Let’s just hope angel is a little less mischievous than Caleb.”

“She will be just perfect, she already us, just by been our daughter, more importantly your daughter, i have a perfect family of my own now. An amazing wife and an angelic daughter. I couldn’t ask for much more.”

Ed kissed me as i smiled.

“And i have the most amazing husband any wife could ask for.”

We shared a couple of kisses before Ed suggested i got some rest as he headed to get himself a cup of tea and to inform the others of Angel.