It's Not So Dark When We're Together

Seventy-One

Ed’s POV

It was strange having Elena away from home, i was to used to her been here with me and Angel all the time. Each day i would phone her and ask how everything was, with her always reassuring me she was fine and not to worry, she also spoke to Angel.

I was coping fine with Angel on my own and took her around Alex’s for a few hours allowing her to play with Caleb whilst i arranged a few last minute things for her birthday and got Amy to assist me in wrapping the many presents me and Elena had gotten her. I was leaving them in the spare room of Alex’s house so that they were safe out of sight until Angel’s birthday in two days time. Elena would be home the night before her birthday and going back to London the day after, just a short visit but at least she was able to have that day back home.

As i headed back to the cottage, Angel fast asleep in her pushchair i took in a long intake of breath. I missed Elena a lot and since we had gotten together there wasn’t really any proper time like this where we spent weeks away from each other except for the tour earlier on this year. I had my mind focused on the shows then though, now, whilst Angel slept every night i would sit and wish i had Elena in my arms to cuddle with. I missed the little things like when i would rest my head on her and take in the lovely smell of her hair, the warmth her hugs always gave me, the way my stomach would still turn each time we shared a kiss.

As the two of us got into the cottage i picked angel up ou of her pushchair which disturbed her a little, as i pulled her to my should and held her i felt her arms wrap themselves around my neck, her head burying itself into my hair as she continued to sleep. I small smile spread across my lips as i moved the pushchair out the way before heading upstairs. I gently lay Angel on my bed as i changed her into a pair of pyjamas, her eyes fluttering open a little as i straightened out her top.

“Daddy, kiss?”

I lent forward kissing Angel as i watched her eyes close again the exhaustion of playing for a solid four hours kicking in now. Instead of disturbing her to much again i moved her further up the bed into the centre and tucked her under the duvet. I got myself changed into a pair of pyjama bottoms before heading down to lock all the doors and grab the kids bed support out of the spare room. I placed in onto Elena’s side of the bed positive that Angel now couldn’t fall out of the bed if she fidgeted to much.

Once the whole house was locked up and everything switched off i settled into the bed myself, it was only 8 pm and so i grabbed the TV remote flicking on the TV in the room and deciding to watch that. Finding a film to watch i smiled as i felt Angel’s hand on my side before she pulled herself closer to me. I wrapped an arm around her little body as she went into a deeper sleep against my chest. By 11 pm i was ready for sleep myself and settled down Angel still asleep against me as i kissed the top of her head pulling the blanket over myself a little better.

*****************************************
Elena’s POV

All my clothes were packed up in my bag as i prepared myself for heading home in a few hours. Gary was driving me back since he wanted to be at Angel’s birthday party to, and so was spending the night in York to. I had spoken to Ed earlier and knew that everything was prepared for the party tomorrow, with the weather forecast looking positive to. My mum and Ed’s parents were coming around as well as all the other guys which would allow for a nice chilled environment.

As we got into the car i smiled hugging Gary as a thank you for allowing me to head home for angel’s birthday and for coming along himself. I knew it meant a lot to Ed as well as me. Once we were both settled in the car and were well on our way i text to let him know how long we reckoned it would take before getting myself comfortable.

“You know, I’m proud of you two, not only have you done well for yourselves but you’ve started your own family and it’s going so well, I’m glad to see you kids so happy together. From that day you and Amy joined the guys in alex‘s place i knew Ed instantly took a liking to you, he had only seen your picture and his little face had lit up, and that led on to amazing things, you really are prized possessions to those boys and myself.”

Gary’s little outburst had caught me off guard but made me so happy.

“I’m glad, the best think to happy to me ad Amy was to move up here and meet such lovely, kind group of lads and an amazing boss or father. You are literally both to us.”

I caught Gary wipe his eye quickly, thinking i hadn’t seen him, he then turned to smile at me. I smiled back before picking up my phone off the seat again to read the message amy had text me.

The journey back wasn’t so bad i was more than anything filled with excitement to see Ed and my little girl again. As we pulled up outside the house i practically leapt from the car grabbing my bags and heading for the front door. Gary locked up the car before following me to the front door. Ed was soon at the door, i could here angel babbling from the kitchen and guessed she was halfway through her tea. I hugged Ed puling myself tight into his chest as i felt his arms wrap around my waist. Just breathing in the intoxicating smell relaxed me instantly and i loosened up kissing his lips as he moved to allow me and Gary to step into the house, him hugging Gary to.

I was soon on the move to the kitchen where Angel was sat holding a banana in her hand, half of the banana in a form of mush attached to her face. I smiled as i headed over to her kissing her head as she dropped the rest of the banana onto the highchair tray and outstretched her arms to be picked up. I wiped her face a little before picking her up into my arms, not minding that as she hugged me she managed to get bits of banana in my hair and over my top, that i was used to by now.

Gary didn’t stay too long after all he had driven for a few hours and was going to be helping set everything up tomorrow morning to. I said goodnight to him before yawning and taking my bag upstairs unpacking what needed washing, leaving the rest ready for Thursday’s trip back to London. I spent the rest of the evening either curled up with Ed or playing with angel. Angel was by now stating she was 2 tomorrow a fair bit which i found adorable. However by ten pm all three of us were tucked up in our beds, i lay in Ed’s arms having missed this over the past week and was glad to finally be sleeping in a comfortable bed alongside my husband. It didn’t seem to take me long before i was fast asleep.

***************************************
Ed’s POV

I was awake early the next morning, i got up leaving Elena to sleep i for another hour or so. I stepped into Angel’s room to see her just waking up herself. Once she had woken a little more i picked her up taking her downstairs with me kissing her before making the typical whose the birthday girl comments as i made myself a cup of tea, Angel still in my one arm as she drank some fruit juice.

I headed into the living room placing Angel on the sofa flicking on some of her TV programmes before making a cup of tea for Elena having heard her move around upstairs. I kissed her as she appeared in the kitchen before heading upstairs to start grabbing the presents i had collected yesterday afternoon and also grabbing Elena’s camera to.

Once i had made several trips up and down the stairs all the presents now in the hall ready to be moved to the living room i let Elena know i was ready. She headed into the living room and i heard pick Angel up and wonder towards the garden giving me chance to move all the presents. I set them all up neatly within the living room before whistling so that Elena wondered back in. I stood with the camera to my face as i saw Angel’s face light up as she took in all the presents placed on the floor. She was instantly wriggling for freedom from her mum’s arms and was placed onto the floor quickly heading for the mound.

Both me and Elena sat on the floor beside her each snapping away on the camera in turns the other helping Angel to unwrap any difficult presents as her face practically glowed at all the new toys she had received. As it came to opening the packaging on each present i heard the door knock knowing full well it would be Gary and dan and teddy to start helping me set up the garden.

I welcomed the three inside and they headed into the living room each giving birthday kisses to Angel before Dan sat helping open the toys and play with them with angel. I smiled as both me and Elena headed upstairs t get ready and bring down some new clothes for Angel to wear for the day to. Before long Elena and Angel were left in the house as me and the other three headed out into the garden to set up the garden and all the chairs and tables, including the large plastic bin full of ice and water for putting all the cans of alcohol into to keep them cold.

At 12 pm the three of us came back in finally having set everything up apart from getting the barbeque going which would happen when the others started to arrive at 2 pm. The sun was shining well overhead and the warmth in the garden was lovely, i was grateful for the weather allowing us to give our daughter a great 2nd birthday.

At 2 pm everyone else started to arrive, Elena’s mum, my parents, alex, amy and Caleb and Ali. Angel sat on the grass opening the other presents she had been given as Gary took the honours of been chef and started the barbeque. I had set up a little shaded area for Angel and Caleb to play in and the two sat playing with the new toys happily both of them giggling away as well as the rest of us sat talking and laughing.

The afternoon ran by smoothly and we managed to get a load of pictures of everyone although most the focus was on angel, especially when we bought her birthday cake out. It was a hand made cake with a picture of angel her name and 2 on with two candles standing defiant at the top. Placing in near her we all celebrated as Elena helped her to blow the candles out.

The rest of the afternoon and into the evening sun was spent out in the warmth of the garden, the two kids soon having an afternoon nap in their pushchairs as the rest of us had more of a laugh, Dan and Ali been their typical themselves and not failing to have us all in hysterics at their stupidity. It was a lovely day and it seemed Angel enjoyed it so well that she slept well during the night as well.