It's Not So Dark When We're Together

Seventy-Three

Gary’s POV

I had already arrived at the studio before Elena had even got there. As i stood in the reception area i waited around, i was sure she would only be stuck in all the foot traffic of the streets, no getting annoyed with the bustling London streets. It was as i stood in the reception i received a phone call, one of a roadie that i knew lived near the area.

“Hey John you alright?”

“Gary, not sure if your London or even heard but i was just in the tube station, one of the tubes just exploded a few stations down from where i am. Transport is stopped completely down here for know, just thought i would give you a heads up.”

“Shit, John, I’m awaiting my top photographer, she was on the tube. Do you know what stop it was near to?”

“Victoria”

“I’m heading down, you staying there to see what’s happening?”

“yeah, you want to meet me ? I should be able to get a little more information from my cousin in the fire service?”

“Yeah i will meet you by the stop, since I’m at the studio i won’t be long.”

With an agreement of John to meet me i scuttled off leaving the artist in the capable hands of the rest of the team at the studio. As i reached the station i spotted John almost instantly, my face clearly full of worry as i approached starting the first question.

“It’s Elena isn’t it, the one who was on there?

“is it that obvious? I hope she’s a lucky one she has a kid and ed back at home, they probably don’t even know what has happened.”

“Come on let’s head forward, see what answers we can get with knowing that someone you treat as your own daughter could be hurt.”

We pushed through concerned bystanders or those phoning work to explain they couldn’t get in yet due to the issue with the underground. As we got to a police cordon i felt my breath catch in my throat. I could see the smoke starting to seep up through the station, walking wounded slowly been assisted up the stairs.

As the faces started to appear i looked out hoping to see Elena’s face within them but as more started to pass and head towards paramedics that had arrived on the scene, i didn’t see her. A couple of fire-fighters arrived the one recognising John and who wondered over, i had a picture of the band and the two girls in my wallet and as John’s cousin walked over i felt fear and dread build up inside me.

“Heya, is it bad down there?”

“Pretty yeah, trying to control the fire at the moment and help those alive out.”

“You haven’t seen this young face as of yet have you, preferably one of the lucky ones?”

I showed the picture to John’s cousin who looked at the picture for a few minutes seeming to stare at it in deep thought.

“I don’t recognise that face, I’m sorry. I hope she’s ok.”

“So do we she had a daughter and husband at home she is meant to go back to tomorrow.”

“Keep your phone where you know it’s going off, i will buzz through if i see her and let you know, i promise.”

I nodded as a thanks as John also thanked his cousin, i felt his hadn on my shoulder for support.

“Don’t worry we will find her, let’s wait up in the open where it’s safer for now though, this smoke can’t be good for us.”

I nodded, my body full of dread, i think deep down i knew she hadn’t made it, i hoped she was alive though. As we got outside i sat down against the wall of the station entrance, i couldn’t phone Ed until i had the news i needed, i couldn’t leave him in the worry i was in.

******* 4 Hours Later*******

I was still sat outside the station with john, watching many of the wounded been helped to hospital in various methods. As we sat there i heard John’s phone ring and he let me see it was his cousin calling.

The call was quick and before long John was pulling me to my feet as we headed back in to where his cousin said he would be. As we stood there i felt a pit open in my stomach. Instead of Elena there stood a Chinese girl about the same age as Elena.

“This young lady has answers for you, John please look after her, she saw some bad things down there.”

We walked with the Chinese girl outside going to a quieter area of the street outside so that we could talk. Her face was almost black with ash, her face covered in a few scratches, dried blood on her shirt and jeans, clearly other peoples.

She sat down on the pat leaning against the corner of an alley wall. As she did she broke into tears.

“hey, it’s ok we know you saw bad things down there, please i would like to know something?”

I pulled the picture from my wallet again.

“Did you see this girl whilst you were down there, take your time we don’t mind. Would you like a drink.”

The girl shook her head to the drink as she wiped her eyes, she gently took the picture from my hand and rubbed her thumb over Elena’s face. The look in her eyes as she looked up into my own told me something was wrong.

“She...she got on and i asked her for directions, she was talking to me when the first explosion occurred a couple carriages down. Us and a few other uninjured, headed further down to help those injured get out. She..... She helped so many. The main carriage was still burning after the explosion, i was heading back to her after helping someone with a broken leg to the nearby platform, as.........as i did........it.......”

With that the girl broke down into more tears. I placed a hand on her shoulder as John pulled her into a gentle hug trying to calm her.

“When your ready carry on, we can wait.”

The girl took in a few deep breaths calming herself down and wiping her eyes again on her ash covered jacket sleeve.

“The carriage exploded again, it was like in slow motion, i tried to warn her as she was helping a young women out with her, the last survivor our end. Her face was full of worry, scared. As she landed i ran to her, she was injured badly, losing a lot of blood, it was horrible, after all the work she had done to help the others. I stayed with her wouldn’t move, i kept her hadn i mine checking her pulse, talking to her trying to keep her alive, whatever she landed on was blocking the wound a little but not much. I........it was horrible, your friend, the fire-fighter, he arrived at us and i stepped back. The look in his eyes told me she hadn’t made it long enough, she’s.............. Gone. I just wished it was me not her, she had helped at least thirty people off before that second explosion, it wasn’t fair she was so kind to me.”

The girl broke down again John trying to cam her down explain it wasn’t her fault. I just sat there unable to speak, i felt the colour drain from my face. Elena, gone. She couldn’t, i had to see it for myself. What would i tell Ed, what about angel, us all. Her mother would be devastated, her daughter gone. My heart felt like it had been ripped from my chest, a young woman who i treated as my own, someone so kind so giving and with a family of her own now. How could she be taken away for cruelly. This young girl had to witness it all, after seeing her help so many, she couldn’t save her, which i agree wasn’t her own fault.

I had to get up and briskly walking further into the alley i threw up, the shock and grief hitting me already. How was i going to tell everyone? Although firstly i must help this girl, she had the bravery to tell us, she informed us of the help Elena gave in such a difficult situation, she was my priority at the minute.

I returned to the two as the girl apologised to me.

“it’s not your fault, you did all you can, she would of been grateful to have you there, i know that much. Please let us take you to the hospital, let me look after you, just alone for what you done for Elena, she was like a daughter to me, i would like to share this time with the last person to see her and to help her.”

The young girl nodded her head, tears still slowly running down her cheeks, leaving clear paths through the ash that already coated them. I helped her to her feet as we walked up the road where traffic was only taxi’s and ambulances helping the wounded to the hospital. The only thing that ra through my mind throughout the drive to the hospital was had Ed already seen it on the news, what would i tell him?