I Need a Hero

"Not sure who won, but it was pretty bloody for the other guy."

- Matt’s P.O.V. -

I quickly left Jessica and Brenda’s room, Nick in tow. My anger was just slowly boiling as we took forever to get to the first level in the elevator. I clenched and unclenched my fists, trying to calm myself enough to talk to Mr. Knight. If I walk in with fists flying then he’ll never listen to me. But as soon as the door slide open, a few orderlies and Mr. Knight himself ran past to the glass, backdoors of the building.

“What’s going on?” Nick demanded as he ran with the group, me quickly following.

“Jonathon Seward got into a fight with Rodger Silone. Not sure who won, but it was pretty bloody for the other guy,” Becky replied, her lips in a huge smile. She loved gossip. It was like weed to her. Wait a minute, Johnny and Rodger? Fuck!

“Move out of the way!” I shouted, shoving people aside. I would have enjoyed the pain I caused, but I was too busy worrying about my dumbass friend. Two male nurses pulled a bruised and struggling Johnny away. On the floor was pretty fucked up, bloody Rodger. I don’t know where Johnny got his sudden strength but I was glad for it.

“Let go of me!” Johnny shouted, kicking his legs. He was at least a foot from the ground and looked pathetic trying to reach the floor.

“No Mr. Seward, its to the padded rooms for you,” Dr. Stiles snapped, the two nurses leaving the way Dr. Stiles hinted to. My eyes grew wide and I frantically searched the crowd for Mr. Knight. When I spotted him ten feet away I sprinted towards him.

“Mr. Knight!” I called. He paused from walking inside when he saw me. When I reached him I leaned over, panting to try to catch my breath.

“How can I help you Mr. Sanders?” Mr. Knight asked calmly.

“It’s about Johnny! Don’t send him to the padded rooms. It wasn’t his fault. Rodger raped Brenda,” I said, trying to not draw the attention of others. Mr. Knight’s eyes narrowed, a frown on his face.

“Really?” I nodded. “Well that changes things Mr. Sanders. After Rodger is treated he will be moved to the fifth floor. But for Johnny, I cannot help that. Dr. Stiles is in charge of that. I would suggest you go talk to that so I can arrange for Rodger to be moved.”

I nodded, dashing off the way I saw Dr. Stiles go. I caught him right before he got onto the elevator with Johnny, who was now unconscious from drugs no doubt, and the two nurses. “Dr. Stiles!”

“What Mr. Sanders?” Dr. Stiles snapped. Yeah, he still hated me. Oh well.

“Don’t put Johnny in the room. He did it because Rodger rapped Brenda!” One of the nurses held out his arm, stopping the elevator from shutting to find out where they were going.

“While I believe you, I really don’t care at the moment. Johnny had showed extreme violent behavior and can’t be trusted with others. If he is okay after two days then I’ll allow him back.” The doctor climbed on before the door shut in my face. I groaned, running a hand through my hair. Where was Zack when I needed him? I needed to punch something that would feel it.

“Let’s head back to Brenda. I have a feeling she needs you,” Nick said, coming up behind me from nowhere. He called down the other elevator for us to climb on to. As we ascending I cleared my throat.

“Why do you think she needs me?”

“Well Johnny’s locked up and then you act like her older brother. Kids need that even when they don’t think so,” Nick replied with a shrug. I raised an eyebrow at him and he sighed. “Look, my half sister went through almost the same thing. Only it was her boyfriend that did it. She ended up hanging herself. I really don’t want Brenda to do the same.”

“I’m sorry,” I spoke softly. Just then we reached the third floor. Nick headed down the hall first, stopping in front of room 322. I took a deep breath before walking into the open doorway. Nick said something about being back in twenty minutes before leaving. Jessica was sitting Indian style on her bed, biting her bottom lip.

“I haven’t heard anything from her. I didn’t want to bother her, but I’m getting nervous,” Jessica spoke. I hurried over to the bathroom’s doorway. The shower was still running, the curtain cutting any view or outline of Brenda.

“Brenda?” No replied. I walked forward and pulled the curtain aside. Brenda sat in fetal position in the corner. I sighed, turning off the water. I pulled her out of her knees, wrapping a towel around her body. I noticed her skin was a bright red like if she’d been scrubbing for ten minutes straight. We brought her into the bedroom, sitting her on the edge of her bed. “Jessica, get her some warm clothes. I’m no good at getting girl outfits.”

“Got it.” As Jessica began to look through Brenda’s trunk I brushed back Brenda’s hair from her forehead. Her eyes were half lidded like she was trying to stay awake.

“You okay Brenda?” There was no reply, as if I expected one. “You should have seen Rodger’s face.”

“Is that really wise to talk about?” Jessica hissed. I felt Brenda stiffen up under my arms that were rapped around Brenda’s shoulders. I gave her a faint smile.

“Sorry Brenda. But Johnny did you justice. You can barely recognize….you know who. I thought Johnny was going to practically die when I heard about it. Rodger can’t hurt you anymore. He’s on level five. Once you get there, there’s no coming back.”

“What’s happening to Johnny?” I was actually shocked at hearing her voice. I sighed, rubbing a hand through her pink and blonde hair.

“Well Dr. Stiles thinks he’s dangerous. He’s going to be in the padded room for two days.” Brenda’s eyes grew wide as she looked up at me, her head shaking violently.

“No! Johnny can’t be in there!” Brenda exclaimed. I shushed her, holding her close to my chest. I rested my chin on the top her head as she tried to calm down.

“It’s okay Brenda, Johnny’s gunna be strong. You know he did t all for you, right?”

“He’s in there because of me?”

“No, no, no. He’s in there so he could protect you. He went in there for himself to prove he loves you.” She sighed burying her face into my chest.

“C’mon Brenda. Let’s get you dressed, okay?” Brenda just nodded, standing. Jessica helped her into undergarments, black skinnies, a yellow tank, yellow converse, and Jessica’s black leather jacket. Brenda sunk back onto the bed, curling up into a fetal position again. I sighed, running a hand through my hair.

“I really don’t know how else to make you feel better Brenda. I need to go. I’ll see you later.” I kissed her head before hugging Jessica and knocking on the door. Nick opened the door, leading me towards my room. As soon as I was locked back into my room I laid out on my bed. Brian sat on the other bed, interested in the ceiling dots. “Dude, do you have any idea of what’s been going on?”

Brian looked over at me with a loopy grin. “I wish. Dr. Stiles says that I need to be isolated for a little while. Do I want to know what happened?”

“Uhm. Probably not. Well, actually, yeah. I’ll just let you know the one part you’ll want to know. Johnny, our short shit, beat Rodger to a bloody pulp.”

Brian snapped up in excitement. “No fuckin’ way! How come?”

“That’s the part you don’t want to know.” He just stared at me before nodding.

“I’ll leave it at that. I’m so proud of Johnny. He’s growin’ up,” Brian mocked, wiping away a fake tear. I chuckled, crossing my arms behind my head.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for commenting: Hanny Gates, Christ!, hachie, violetriddle, Rhi_LoveMeHateMe, Smanah!!, and midlipsters. Too lazy for proofreading. Luckily I'm not going with my mom for Thanksgiving. Hoping to update a bit over Thanksgiving Break. Sweeeet. So, comments? Please & thank-you. [: