I Need a Hero

"Yeah, I think I can say I love you now.”

Image

- Brenda’s P.O.V. -

It was already the next night. I had went into what Jessica is referring to as ‘quiet mode’. I didn’t talk, I was force fed by Jessica when Nick came around with our food, and I zone out all the time when outside with the group. No one trusted to leave me alone anymore, not even in my room.

“Brenda?” I looked over from staring out the window to see Nick standing in the doorway. Jessica was asleep since it was very late at night, probably around one o’clock in the morning. I raised an eyebrow at Nick. They were suppose to be gone and in their rooms on the first floor by now. A long time ago, actually. He was dressed in jeans and Slipknot hoodie.

“C’mon.” I just raised the eyebrow I had just lowered. He let out a sigh, running a hand through his hair. “Would you just come with me? I could already get in a shit load of trouble and I just figured you want to see Johnny si-”

I was already off my bed, hurrying over to the door. He chuckled, locking the door once we exited. He waved over his shoulder to follow me. Instead of going to the elevator he led us to a door near it. He unlocked it, revealing the landing of a staircase. He ushered me in first. The cold in the stairs seemed to soak through my straightjacket and pajama bottoms. I was stupidly barefoot which caused me to shiver.

“The elevators are shut down after twelve. We have to go to the next floor, the second one, where all the padded rooms are. I now remember you can’t know that,” Nick said softly, wincing a little. I smiled weakly at him, letting him know it was okay. He pulled to a stop in front of the next door, one level below. He opened the door, looking both ways before ushering me in. The only sound I could hear was a soft thump on the wall in a rhythmic pattern. Thump…thump…thump…

“Let’s go. I’m going to give you ten minutes then we have to get you back,” Nick warned, stopping in front of a door. I nodded as he fumbled with his keys before finally inserting the correct one into the keyhole. He quickly pulled it open, urged me in, then quickly locked the door again. I looked up and felt guilt rip through me.

Johnny sat on his bed, his Mohawk flat on his head from not styling it and no doubt getting messed up in his fight. His legs were held to his chest by his arms. He was the same clothes he had worn the yesterday; blue jeans, long sleeve black thermal, and his signature Converse. His head was going back onto the wall in a familiar rhythmic pattern, each thump a stab in my chest.

“Johnny?” I croaked from the lack of use of my voice. Johnny paused long enough to look at me for a moment before continuing his pattern, concentrating on the wall again. I felt tears weld up in my eyes. I wished I didn’t have this goddamn jacket on. I walked forward, kneeling in front of him. “Johnny?”

“You aren’t real. You can’t fool me,” Johnny said loudly, looking over my head. I frowned, genuinely confused. Was this just because he was angry I put him here?

“Johnny, I’m sorry about this. You don’t have to act like I don’t exist,” I said quietly.

“You can’t trick me you fucking voices. There is no way Brenda can be here.” He looked me in the eye with a distant look. “You. Aren’t. Real.”

I don’t know what came over me that moment. I launched onto the bed, sitting on his knees. They fell under my weight which made me straddle him. His eyes grew wide as he stared up at me. I closed my eyes, pushing my face forward. I caught Johnny lips with mine which caused a shiver to go down my spine. It took a few moments, but Johnny began to kiss back. Our mouths moved in sync, Johnny’s hand coming up to cup my left cheek. After a minute we parted, breathing heavily. His brown eyes bore into mine as he rested our foreheads together.

“That’s a waking up I need more often,” Johnny panted.

“I’ll let Nick know,” I replied, a smile on my face. Johnny’s face twisted up in disgust.

“Yeah, I think I’ll pass. Nick's not my type.” It was silent for a moment as we just sat in each other’s company. Suddenly I remembered where we were and my eyes automatically filled with tears again. Johnny pulled to me to his chest, shushing me and rubbing my back. “What’s the matter?”

“I’m so sorry I got you in here,” I sobbed. He pulled me back, holding my chin so he could look straight into my eyes.

“Do not apologize. I did this all on my own. It is not your fault in the least. If anything you should be thanking me,” Johnny told me with a sly smile. I pecked him on the lips.

“Thank-you, Johnny.” He pulled me back to his chest, my head resting in the crook of his neck. After a moment of silence I had to ask the question burning on my tongue. “How did you know about it? Matt said by the time he was downstairs the fight already happened.”

Johnny sighed which caused me to look up at him. He was staring over my head again, looking at the wall. “I was outside and Rodger came out. He was- he was bragging about it to these two guys. I just, well, I couldn’t help myself. Something just snapped. According to Dr. Stiles I almost killed the bastard. I wish I would of.” Johnny chuckled darkly. I kissed his jaw, causing him to look down to me with a haze over his eyes.

“You don’t need to kill anyone. If you did I’d never see you again,” I reasoned with a small smile. He nodded with a smile of his own, pecking me on the lips.

“By the way, does this mean you’re willing to admit you love me now? ‘Cause I keep hearing from Jessica you refuse to say it,” Johnny joked.

“Hm. Let’s see. You ignored me, you didn’t care for a while there, and you were kind of an ass.” Johnny face fell causing me to giggle. “But you almost killed Rodger and you’re taking this for three days. Yeah, I think I can say I love you now.”

“Good. I’ve been waiting a day or two to hear that,” Johnny chuckled. Just then the door opened to reveal Nick. He gave us a sad smile, tapping his wrist to let us know I needed to go. I sat up, giving Johnny a kiss that lasted a moment longer than need. I stood and headed to the door.

“I’ll see you when you get out. And by then this stupid jacket will be gone,” I informed.

“Good. They’re just a drag. I can’t wait.” With that Nick and I left the room.

“Me either.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for commenting; hachie, Hanny Gates, Rhi_LoveMeHateMe, Green_Rose_413, ExterminatorXDiamond, violetriddle, and midlipsters. Sorry it took so long & was so short. Uhm, love for cute chapter? :D