Remembering Sunday

Lost and Found

I got home from working at Rian's new house to find Greg was working late; I grabbed the phone to ring Bailey when I noticed my ring was missing.

I searched everywhere and started to cry, I went straight to bed not feeling like seeing anyone.

2 days later and I was still really upset but I refused to tell anyone because they’d think I was stupid and I’d been avoiding Alex since.

I was walking to work when Alex shouted me “Have I done something wrong?” he asked as he walked towards me and I shook my head, as soon as I saw his eternity ring I started to cry.

It was stupid this shouldn't make me cry, Alex was my past and never going to be my future, the day he chose his friends over me he decided that.

He hugged me ”Lexi what?” he asked.

“I feel so stupid but I lost something and I can’t find it and I don’t know where it is, it might be a Rian’s but I really don’t know” I rambled and he tightened his grip.

“You’ll be late for work, cheer up and tell me about it at lunch” he said and I wiped my eyes walking off.

He'd always made me feel safe, like he'd do anything to protect me and to make sure I was happy and part of me never wanted that to disappear.

To know you had someone you could turn to and they'd shield you from the world felt nice, I always felt safe as long as I knew Alex and even in the time after we broke up until that night in the club I never doubted that if i needed him he'd have been there for me.

At lunch I walked to the park to meet Alex and saw the others were with him, “I’ve got something for you” he said holding out his hand and I saw a silver ring.

I grabbed it checking it over, “It’s yours, I found it under some stuff in Rian’s lounge” he said and I smiled thanking him.

“I noticed you didn’t have it on and realized that might be why, why didn’t you tell anyone?” he asked.

I sighed “I felt stupid I mean it shouldn’t bother me, I shouldn’t wear it but I do” I admitted quietly not wanting the others to hear.

“I still wear mine, I’d be upset if I lost it” he admitted as we sat down, he took his off rolling it in his hand. They were identical plain silver bands, to everyone else they were plain but to me it was more than that.

Nothing anybody had ever given me meant this much to me, it was like having a part of Alex with me all the time.

“My ex found out it had your name inscribed inside and went mental” he said and I saw the sunlight hit the inscription and the word 'Lexi' caught my eye.

“Greg doesn’t know says ‘Alex’” I admitted and he smiled, “He doesn’t even know it’s an eternity ring or what the boyfriend before him was called” I said and he laughed.

“So that’s why he was nice to me, I expected him to be awkward” he said and I nodded as we both put our rings back on.

“Do you ever wonder whether we’d still…” he started but I cut him off.

“I try not to, it just hurts,” I admitted and he nodded, no matter how much he'd hurt me I knew I'd hurt him too and that no matter who was really to blame we were both even now.

He'd made me cry, made me stop eating and he'd broke my heart but from his reaction at the club that night I knew I must've done the same to him too, there was no need to argue or bring it up constantly.

We broke up, we broke each others hearts, said things we shouldn't have said and we moved on and grew up. Dwelling on it wouldn't change a thing it would only make it worse but there was no changing it Alex was still attractive.

He was still the kind of guy who I could look at and never see a bad point about him, his smile made me smile, the way he dressed only made him look better and he ever seemed to try too hard at anything.

It was okay to still fin him good looking surely? I wasn't even sure anymore, did everyone feel this way about their first boyfriend or was it just me? Was it Alex that made things different or was I reacting like anyone would?

“You know this morning I panicked a bit when I saw you weren’t wearing your ring, I told Jack before I realized that was why you were upset and he told me to take mine off. I don’t think I’ll ever want to take it off,” he admitted pulling me back from my thoughts.

I looked at him and we both smiled “I know but I guess one day I might, it really was ages ago” I said and he nodded.

“Anyway I have to get back to work otherwise Rian will never have a finished house” I said standing up and they laughed.

I said bye and went back to work turning the ring round on my finger as I walked.