Remembering Sunday

Love notes reminding me

We went back to Alex’s and I sat looking at all my stuff when I started to cry and he appeared at my side hugging me, it felt awful to be homeless, to be shown that you choice in boyfriend was once again very wrong.

The only upside was Alex’s apartment was nicer looking, sure there was lots of white and black involved but there was color too.

The floors were a light colored wood and the walls were mainly white although every room had one colorful wall and the couch was bright red, obviously all them years of hanging around with me he’d picked up something about interior design.

Jack left and I curled up on the couch after putting Alex’s clothes back on and Alex sat watching me, “Didn’t I buy you that?” he asked pointing to the bag I’d pulled from under the bed and I nodded.

“Want to see what’s in it?” I asked and he nodded.

I got up dragging it back to the couch and signaled for him to join me, I opened it and smiled.

Alex had bought me the bag for my birthday when I was 17 and after we broke up I put everything that reminded me of him in it and hid it away.

I pulled a hoody and a top from the bag and he laughed, “I wondered where they went,” he said.

I pulled out 3 teddies he’d given me over the years and he smiled, next was a massive stack of photos and I saw the one of the top and felt a pain in my chest and knew I’d cry.

“How cute were we,” he said taking them from me and I nodded.

The top picture was my favorite picture of us, we’d been going out 4 years and it was snowing and we were both laid in the snow and he had his arm wrapped around me.

“I remember when I took you home your mom thought we’d die of pneumonia because we were freezing” he said and I smiled at how my mom had dragged us inside and made us have showers to get warm.

We looked through all the pictures laughing at the stupid things we used to do, “Is that it?” he asked and I shook my head as I pulled a stack of paper from the bottom.

“This is every letter or note you ever wrote me. I know I’m a loser for keeping them,” I said and he smiled reading some of them.

I started to cry and he took them from me hugging me “Why does this happen to me?” I asked and he squeezed me.

“There has to be something wrong with me” I cried and he laughed.

“There’s nothing wrong with you” he reassured.

“Well Greg cheated on me and you preferred your friends!” I said.

He pulled away “I never preferred them to you, I loved you more than anything in the whole world” he said but I would never believe him.

“I was never sure that I wanted to be with Greg forever but I was so sure with you, I always thought I’d marry you that we’d be together for the rest of our lives and you finished that in 3 days” I said.

“I thought that too, I thought we’d grow old together” he admitted.

“Then why do it Alex? We rarely argued, after 3 months of being away in California you came back and went straight out with them 3 even though you agreed to come straight round to see me? I missed you so much, I hated you being away but I knew that’s what you needed to do,” I shouted.

“It was a lie okay! I was supposed to be with you and I got up dead early and went to town with the guys to buy something and it took longer than I thought and I got carried away and before I knew it you were ringing me and I lied to you, the first time I’d ever lied to you. You got upset and we argued and that was it, 5 years gone!” he shouted back.

“What could be so important to buy that you took that long? That you had to lie to me?” I shouted as he stood up, he put his hands behind his head “Well?” I shouted.

“A ring okay! I was going to ask you to marry me!” he shouted and I looked at him shocked as he stormed off.