Remembering Sunday

Can't we all just get along?

It was 2 days before Alex had to leave for California and I’d agreed to go round to see my parents but the problem was I hadn’t told them about Alex and me, I’d persuaded him into going round to see ‘a friend’ when in actual fact we were going to my parents.

“They live on the same street as your parents?” he asked and I nodded, we got near my house and he stopped dead.

“I hate you Lexi!” he stated and I smiled at him “Your taking me to your parents aren’t you?” he asked.

“Sorry” I replied and he shook his head.

“They hate me after what I did to you” he stated.

“They don’t hate you” I lied as I dragged him down the driveway.

I knocked on the door and I felt him tense up “Hey mom” I said smiling but her eyes widened.

“Alex! What the hell Lexi?” she snapped and I rolled my eyes.

“Hi Mrs Nelson” he offered and she shook her head.

“Have you lost your mind Lexi, I thought you 2 didn’t even talk?” she shouted.

“Mom don’t shout, can we come in and I’ll explain,” I offered and she hesitated before nodding.

“Don’t get any ideas your not staying” she snapped at Alex and I tried not to laugh.

“Peter you’ll never guess who she’s got with her” my mom shouted to my dad.

"Greg, I love that guy” my dad replied as he walked into the hallway and he stopped dead.

“Fuck off!” he snapped and I burst out laughing at the fact he’d cursed.

“Guys let’s stop hating Alex for a second and let me explain” I said pushing them all through into the lounge.

“I ran into Alex at a club months back and I didn’t tell you guys, I knew you’d react this way. We started talking again and he explained everything” I explained.

"What about Greg does he just get pushed aside because this losers back?” snapped dad and I rolled my eyes.

“Dad you used to love Alex, Greg’s the loser I caught him cheating on me!” I snapped.

“So what your dating again?” mom asked and I nodded.

“Lexi!” she shouted.

“Mom I love Alex you know that,” I argued and she sighed.

“I know I hurt her and I’m sorry” Alex said quietly.

“Lexi please” mom begged and I shook my head.

“Are we having dinner or what?” I asked and she nodded.

My parents got up and walked off to finish getting dinner ready as I dragged Alex upstairs, he automatically walked into what used to be my room.

“This place has changed,” he said looking at the beige walls of the room that was now a guest bedroom.

“I remember when this was pink and full of posters, do you remember all them pictures of us on the walls?” he asked and I nodded.

“Yeah, I miss them days” I admitted.

“Me too, everything was easy back then. All I ever worried about was whether you’d finished your homework or not so we could go out and now everything’s more complicated” he admitted.

“No it’s not, you still have to worry if I’ve finished my work” I said and he laughed.