Remembering Sunday

That girl

3 days later and Bailey rang me to ask if I wanted to go out with her and Kate for dinner but I had already agreed to meet Jack so I said no.

Alex had gone to see Rian to do some song writing so I took Lou with me, I saw Jack sat on a park bench and let Lou off his leash and he ran straight over to him.

I threw Jack Lou’s ball and he started throwing it for Lou who would sprint off after it only to come back drop it at Jacks feet and sit waiting for him to throw it again. Fetch was a game Lou never got bored of; I sat next to Jack and decided to bring Kate up.

“Jack you know Alex’s girlfriend, Kate was it?” I asked and he nodded.

“What was she like?” I asked and he shrugged.

“Blond, blue eyes, tanned, you know typical Californian girl. Why?” he asked and I shook my head.

“I know when something’s on your mind Lexi, so spit it out,” he said and I shrugged.

“Bailey made a new friend, her names Kate, she looks like you just said and she from California. She says she knows people here,” I explained and he shook his head.

“Nah she’d not come over here, she never said she knew people from here,” he said and I nodded, we started talking about some band he wanted to go see but none of the others would go with him and I knew this was his way of hinting.

“I’ll go with you if you really want me to,” I said.

“Fuck,” he said and I laughed.

“It’s not that impressive you know,” I said and he shook his head.

“Hide now,” he snapped and I looked at him confused.

“Seriously go! That girl you were asking me about, is that her?” he asked motioning towards the entrance near the trees and I saw Bailey and Kate and I nodded.

“Fuck, that is Kate. What the fuck?” he said and I looked at him.

“So much for no it won’t be her,” I said and he shook his head.

“She’ll recognize Lou and me, go I’ll look after Lou,” he said and I stood up.

“Just go,” he said and I walked off.

I walked off not wanting to go too far because curiosity was too strong, I wanted to see what happened.

Surely Bailey would give it away if she said she knew Jack.

I watched as Kate pointed at Lou and then looked over at Jack and then she walked over towards them with Bailey following her, she stood talking to Jack and Bailey seemed to stay out the way as if avoiding Jack which seemed weird.

Yeah she thought he was childish but she loved Jack, he was our friend and she’d never avoid him like that.

I watched as Kate petted Lou as he waited for Jack to throw his ball again and then Jack picked up the ball and walked off towards where I was waving to them both. I saw he was ringing me so I answered.

“Hey go back to mine, I’ll meet you there in a few minutes,” he said.

“But what about Lou?” I asked realizing he wasn’t on a leash.

“He’ll be fine he never normally runs off, I’ll carry him if it’s busy just go,” he said hanging up.

I got to Jack's and waited for him to see him walking down the street with Lou next to him and I smiled at how well trained Alex had Lou.

He did what you told him to do, he never chewed anything in the house, you let him off his leash and he’d always come back when you shouted, to be honest he didn’t really need his leash because he’d happily walk next to you without ever straying away.

Jack smiled walking upstairs with us both following him and we walked into his apartment.

“Okay sorry I got a bit snappy back then but I just didn’t want her seeing you with me, she’d realize straight away you were that Lexi,” he said and I looked worried.

“Why does it matter?” I asked and he smiled.

"Because she sort of loved Alex and Alex never loved her, he called her Lexi on occasions and she lived in your shadow. How would you feel if it was the other way around?” he asked and I shrugged.

“I wouldn’t like me,” I admitted and he smiled.

“It’s not your fault but she obviously has her hopes set on meeting up with Alex again because she told me to tell him she is around here for awhile, I texted Bailey to pretend we don’t know each other that’s why she was weird with me,” he explained and I nodded.

“What do I do?” I asked and he smiled.

“You tell Alex she’s here because sooner or later he’ll run into her and if he does it without knowing and then someone lets on you knew he’ll get pissed at you. However much he loves you you know he won’t take being lied to so tell him yourself,” he said and I shook my head.

“If I tell him it sounds like I’ve been asking around to see what she looks like, I’ll tell him I met her with Bailey and then was with you and you told me who she was,” I said and he nodded.

“Okay but don’t leave it Lexi, you know what he’s like. I’m heading over to them now if you want to come?” he asked and I nodded.