Vampires can Love Too

Breaking Free

I searched the castle some more but came across nothing except more paintings. Where was she? I kept looking, a fiery determination burning in my chest. I had to find her. There were no ifs ands or buts about it. I squeaked to a stop when I saw Karin in hand cuffs following a strange man. Was he the vampire slayer’s uncle? Only one way to find out. I snuck up behind them and Karin glanced in my direction.

I gulped but she didn’t seem to notice anything out of the ordinary except that there was a bat in the castle. She kept quiet about me though. What could I do? Would I have to fight him? As soon as we entered a round room that looked like a prision I changed slowly but swiftly. I made sure to change behind Karin and the vampire slayer’s uncle. In a loud voice I said, “I’m Aura and I demand you to release Karin.” Both of them looked at me and I noticed the uncle’s eyes were steely and cold. I held my ground though. Karin looked surprised to see me. I tried to mesmerize the uncle but he didn’t seem any different than when I had first glanced at him. Was my charm failing? It appeared to be. Guess I would have to use brute force. I jumped and kicked off Karin’s bonds.

“Come with me!” I yelled to Karin.

She nodded and we ran quicker than humanly possible. The vampire hunter’s uncle was having trouble keeping up with us. I grinned and then made my way to the basement. I kicked open the door and made sure to look out for traps. “It’s so dark!” Karin whined.

“What? You can’t see in the dark?”

Karin shook her head, “No I can’t!”

“Are you not a vampire?” I asked.

She sighed, “I’m a un-vampire.”

What did she mean by that?

“I don’t have time to explain now though. Why are we here?”

I rushed to where Ren was, making sure there weren’t any other traps, which there weren’t.

“Your brother and family were trapped here.”

“What?” Karin said and I could feel her terror dripping off her.

I got up to where Ren was.

He smiled fondly at me, “Aura. You found Karin!”

I nodded and bent the bars on the cage. They bent to my will and I frowned at Ren.

“Why couldn’t you have freed yourself Ren?"

Ren laughed, “Anju had another plan for us that she didn’t tell you.”

“Which was?” I asked.

“If all of us got caught but one of us the one that wasn’t caught was supposed to investigate and find Karin. That way we all wouldn’t get caught again. Besides I knew if it didn’t work I could break out of here and free the others.”

I nodded and Ren stepped out of the cage. He flew up to the cage on the right of him and bent the bars open. I flew up to the left and bent the bars as well. A bat flew out and then there was only one more cage with one of us in it. Ren jumped up and freed them in the middle. Once they were all freed they turned back to their vampire forms. I looked up at the exit and noticed it was blocked with a rock. Had the vampire hunter done that? I frowned and told everyone our predicament. They all groaned.

“How are we going to get out of here now?!” Karin yelled, hysterically.

“Calm down Kare, I know how to get out.”

“You do?” Everyone said in unison.

I nodded, “How do you think I got out the first time?”

They all gave me blank looks.

“Okay everyone turn into a bat.”

“Uh, I can’t do that,” Karin said pitifully.

“Oh right, so what’s your story?”

Karin sighed, and said “I don’t suck blood. Instead my blood increases when I’m around unhappy people and I have to release it into them. See I don’t suck blood but I give it.”

I blinked and tried to grasp all of that. “Is that true?” I said turning to Maaka’s family.

Everyone nodded.

“She’s been that way since she was little,” Anju replied.

I frowned, “Well this sucks. Does anyone know how to solve this dilemma?”

Everyone looked lost. But then Anju came up with an idea.

“We could dig underneath the castle and emerge from another way.”

“That’s a good idea Anju. But with what tools?”

Anju pointed to a shovel in the back. I laughed, feeling foolish. Ren grabbed it and started digging. After ten minutes he had made a hole all the way to the surface. The rest of us fell into the hole and went after Ren. We emerged on a different side like Anju said we would.

“Okay so we’ll split up. Karin you go with Aura and Ren and Anju will go with mama and me.”

Karin nodded and Henry picked up Anju and they went running off while Calera turned into a bat and flew above.

“You have some answering to do when we get home, little sister,” Ren said scolding Karin.

Karin groaned, “I guess I deserve that for making you guys worry.”

“You certainly do. Especially for involving Aura. She didn’t have to help us save you.”

Karin looked sad then, “I’m sorry Aura.”

“No, it’s okay. I wanted to help rescue you. You’re my friend too.”

Karin smiled and Ren blew me a kiss. “I love you,” he responded.

I smiled and returned his I love you. Ren picked up Karin and then ran off with her. I ran alongside Ren and we went straight to his house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Longer chapter. :)