Vampires can Love Too

Nightmare

This dream isn’t pleasant. I’m running through a dark alley, panting. There’s blood on me. The vampire hunter is after me. Just when I think I’m safe I see a shadow pass over me. I shiver and try to run away. I’m in a bind though. There’s nowhere to go. This is a dead end. I start to cry then. Then I feel hands on my face. “Baby don’t cry,” I hear Ren say. I gasp, he shouldn’t be here!

“Ren why are you here?”

Ren smiles sadly at me, “I know when you’re in danger, I can’t just let you die.”

I sob, “But he’ll kill you Ren.”

Ren sighs, “I know but I can at least buy you enough time to get away.”

I start to cry hysterically, “I won’t let you kill yourself!”

Ren kisses me then. It is short but full of passion. In those sixty seconds I actually feel my worries drifting away. When I hear the vampire hunter’s footsteps though I know my reality will become a nightmare.

“Go!” Ren says.

I shake my head.

Ren sighs and says, “Please.”

“I can’t!” I say my voice soft and not very powerful.

“Sweetie,“ Ren says and then I see the vampire hunter.

He laughs as he sees Ren trying to protect me. He takes a gun out and shoots at Ren’s heart. I stand there, not moving, totally imbolized by fear. Ren falls to the ground, soaking in blood.

“Ren!” I cry out.

The hunter turns to me then, “You’re next girl.”

I cry as the scene fades out. I wake up, sweating. I feel tears on my face. I let out a deep breath. Ren is okay. I’m not dead either. Well I am dead but not in the bad way. I laugh at the irony of it. I get up out of my coffin see it’s dark out and decide to go to Julian’s.

Crap! I forgot to tell the manager I was taking the day off the other day. I’ll just have to tell him today about my not being able to be there one day now. When I arrive at Julian’s the manager pounces on me.

“Where were you yesterday?”

I laugh nervously, “I felt sick.”

The manager nods, believing my lie.

“Also I’m not going to be able to work the next day.”

The mangaer frowns, “Why not?”

“I’m going to take a personal day.”

The manager sighs, “Okay but don’t make it a habit. I need you here.”

I nod.

Karin turns to me then and smiles, “Do you have a date that day?”

“What?” I gasp.

Karin laughs, “I know you do, who is it?”

I gulp. I can’t tell Karin it’s her brother, she would never forgive me.

Karin laughs, “Are you thinking about him?”

I nod, that I can at least tell her.

Karin sighs, “You don’t have to tell me who it is. I just was being nosey.”

“Thanks,” I say.

Karin smiles, “No problem.”

We work until eleven at night and then I’m off to hunt. I’m starving. I didn’t eat the night before because I was with Ren. I sigh, I need to drink someone’s blood. I navigate to the park. There is a drunken man sleeping on a bench. No one is around. I take this opportunity.

I bite him and suck his blood out. He falls to the ground, like a discarded doll. I prey on more humans until I’m sated. I head back home and fall asleep in my coffin.