Status: Finally a new chapter:) And a new layout, the other one seemed kind of...eh

Disenchanted

Chapter 5

Gerard ran around the bridge. He had to do something; anything to save her. He thought about what she said. "If it were any other fan right here, you would say the same thing. I'm no different." The truth was, she was different. There was a moment in the audience when he looked at her and saw her beautiful eyes and thought she was what he wanted. Seeing her attempt suicide was a terrible thing to watch, as terrible as it would be for him to see any fan, but in a different way.

He ran down to the park where the lake met. He threw his cell-phone, and other valuables out onto the grass and jumped into the water. It was ice cold. For a summer night, Gerard did not expect it to be that cold.

Gerard looked around the water. It was too dark to see anything, and for a moment he feared it was too late, that he was going to lose her, until he saw her bright blue eyes in the water. Gerard dove down and grabbed Mae's arm and pulled her towards him, and then wrapped his arm around her waist. He used what little strength he had left to pull her up out of the water, but his hands were slipping, and he felt himself losing consciousness. Gerard was a singer, he could hold his breath for a long time, but the fact that he was losing the fight against saving her life took all of the energy out of him. He tried again, and still, his hands were slipping. He was in a fight for consciousness, a fight for strength, and a fight for a fan's life.

To Gerard it seemed like it was either her or both of them. He could leave right now and live, or he could stay and they would both die, but there would be no living for both of them. Gerard decided if he could let her live, he would. He held her tighter than before. He used all his strength and then some to push her up to the shore, to save her life. Finally, she was out of the water, and Gerard had little to no consciousness left in him. He knew he was going to die that night.

Gerard thought of his life the past few years. Of his band members, of his fans, and of his music. Gerard knew he had saved lives through music, but he had never once saved a real life like this. He felt almost like he was just now living.

Just now living. As he stayed there, head above water, he could feel his strength coming back and headed back to shore. His foot got caught on seaweed. He struggled, underwater again. He was going to fight. He was going to live for the fan whose life he had saved. He would not die tonight. Gerard kicked his foot wildly, but the seaweed stayed put. He then remembered the pocket knife he held. He went to his pocket to grab the knife but he had thrown it out with his cell phone. He would have to do this manually.

Slowly, Gerard bent down to the seaweed and tugged at it. He pulled and pulled and he felt it break. His foot was not free yet. He kicked again. There had to be some way out. He tugged and kicked at the same time, and this time, he was free. All he had to do was swim to the edge and get out.

He swam and swam and finally made it out. Mae was still unconscious.

"Gerard? Where are you?" Gerard looked up and saw Frank looking for him. Frank started walking down to the lake and looked at Mae, questioning what had happened. Gerard sighed.

"She jumped the bridge man, like I did when we lived here. I couldn't let her do it. She had no one there for her, no one to save her like I did. She has no one at all. But now she has me." Gerard was out of breath, and scared for Mae's life.

Gerard and Frank did everything they could to help her gain consciousness. They brought her back to bus, now half-conscious. Gerard and Mae cuddled together on the couch, covered in a ton of blankets, waiting to see what was to happen next.
♠ ♠ ♠
In this story, Gerard is figuratively the same age as her