Sequel: The Fleury Life
Status: Completed

The Crosby Life

Home

It seemed like forever, but we had finally landed in the Halifax airport. I was so happy to be home that I squished Sidney against the side of the plane to look out the window. The weather, being Nova Scotia, was wet with drizzle and fog was rolling in from the Altantic.
"Ow, Sierra." Sidney mumbled, pushing against me. "Your knee is digging into the wrong places." I quickly stood up.
"Oops, sorry." I said to him, just as the airplane latch opened.
Sidney and I both quickly grabbed our stuff and quickly raced out of the plane and jogged out of the tunnel. Once out I opened my arms and breathed in the airports Halifax scent. "It feels good to be home!" I said to him, Marc-Andre's sweater keeping me warm in the air conditioned airport. (Not like it is needed).
Sidney laughed and I looked up at him; just as people noticed our presence and started pointing at us yelling. "It's Sidney Crosby!" Or "Look! The Crosby twins!"
I laughed and nudged Sidney as we started to walk towards the baggage claim area. "You know, you will never have any peace here. It's our home province, your biggest fans are here." I grinned at him.
Sidney only shrugged as his smile only grew. "Well, I will face the fans with a warm smile, just like I ever have since I joined the NHL." He said.
I looked up overhead and followed the signs to the baggage claim. "You have always been better with people than I have." I said.
Sidney glanced over at me and grinned. I purposely bumped into him and he laughed. I was more of the shy type. I didn't like to be around a bunch of people I didn't know, unless I was surrounded by a bunch of people I did know. I have the perfect logic.
We entered the baggage claim area just as something...err someone tackled right into me. "Oof!" I said, losing my balance and Sidney roared in laughter and I realized who it was. "Taylor!" I said, hugging my little sister back.
Taylor hugged me so tightly and I noticed our parents come up and hug Sidney. "I'm so glad you are home!" She said, before letting go and latching herself on Sidney. I laughed and hugged my parents.
"It is so great to have you home." Our mom said as she kissed my cheek.
Sidney was smiling his sweet, goofy grin. "It's great to be home, and it seems we are not home for ten minutes before we get attention." He said, nodding in the direction to the pointing people.
Our father chuckled just as I pointed and said. "The carasol. It's going now." We all looked over and scurried to get over so we could grab our bags. I was able to grab my luggage, but my father grabbed my hockey bag.
"Man, I forgot how heavy these things are." He said after we pulled away from the crowd as Sidney waited to grab his bag.
"That is precisely why I can't get a hold of it." I said, holding up my damaged wrist.
My mother took a hold of my wrist and I winced as Taylor seemed to latch herself onto me. "You still haven't healed from this yet?" She asked me, clearly worried as my phone vibrated in my pocket.
"Can you answer for me, Taylor?" I asked her and she replied to Marc-Andre's text saying that we landed as well. "And no, mom. It hasn't healed. I will make an appointment to see a doctor though. Because I think it's getting worse." I said to her and both my parents gave me looks as Sidney came up.
My father threw my hockey bag over his shoulder and we started to head out to the car.
As soon as we left the building and I got a blast of the Nova Scotia air. I grinned wildly and yelled. "Home sweet home!" And all my family laughed. The ocean scented air was great, the cool humidity was inviting. I looked up as the drizzle hit my face and smiled. This was my home, and this was my perfect weather.
"I kept both of your cars at our place in Cole Harbour." Dad said to Sid and me. "I'm sure you two just want to go home, right?"
I looked at Sid as we climbed into the car. Taylor got squashed between us. "No, I'd like to grab my car." Sidney said and I looked nervously, mainly because I'm not supposed to drive with my wrist.
Our father looked back at us in the mirror. "Alright. We will head to Cole Harbour then." He said and pulled out onto the highway.
I looked out the window and stared at all the trees. Down in most states, of course it depends on which and where in the states, there isn't as much nature as there is here. The Halifax airport looks like, especially from above, that it is positioned in the middle of a forest. I am a nature lover, and it feels great to be amongst the nature once again.
We were traveling for a while, Sidney and my parents (with the occasional interuption from Taylor) talked the whole way. I said little and mainly just watched the trees go by.
Finally the trees opened up to the ocean. I watched the ripples in the water, and I could see pelicans dive into the water after fish. I could see an ospray sitting on a bouy. There was also a little sailboat, out in the ocean in the drizzle. Yes, we Nova Scotian's are crazy. We love wet weather.
We finally pulled into Cole Harbour, and as soon as I saw the sign, I burst into hysterical laughter. The sign read "Cole Harbour, Home of Sidney Crosby." Sidney saw it too, because he started laughing as well.
"Surprise!" Taylor said, a big smile on her face. Sidney and I looked at each other.
"Well well, I think everyone who travels through here will know who is from here." I said laughing as we pulled up to our parents house.
We piled out of the car and the rain was starting to come down a little harder. We walked to the garage behind the drive way and opened the doors, revealing our cars. My blue 2003 Chevrolet Malibu was sitting there, inviting me. I ran my hand along it and looked at Sidney as he grabbed the keys to his car.
"I wish you guys could stay here." Our mom said to us, pulling us into a hug as our father put our bags into our cars respectively.
"I know, mum." Both Sidney and I said at the exact same time as she sighed and let us go. I said nothing about that I shouldn't be driving. But I wanted to go home and I wanted my car.
Our dad hugged us and then I hugged Taylor. "Call us tomarrow whenever you two wake up." Our mom said as I opened the door to my car to slide in.
Sidney nodded. "We will mom." I slid into my car and turned on the engine. I haven't been behind the wheel in a while, and it felt good to be behind the wheel of mine.
Sidney got in his car and pulled out, waving back to our family. I followed him and I noticed it was starting to turn dusk.
I followed Sidney all the way to Enfield. We were almost home when I had to pull into a gas station to get gas. I filled up the car while looking at the sky, the rain looking mystical against the setting sun that was trying to break through the clouds.
I finished filling up my car and my phone rang. I answered it. "Do you have the gate switch?" Sidney asked me on the other line.
"Umm." I looked in my glove box. "Oh, yes I do. Thats right, yours broke. We will have to order a new one." I said back to him.
"Yeah." He said and I heard him getting out of his car to punch in the code into out subdivision. "Ok, I got it." He said.
"Alright, I'll be home in a bit." I told him and closed my phone, putting it in my pocket.
I pulled out of the gas station and was at one of the busiest intersections before heading into the closure of trees and privacy that lead to our place along Grand Lake. I looked into my rear view mirror and saw a car slid on the wet pavement. (Something that happens a lot here.) I looked behind me and saw that the car was coming right behind me.
My eyes opened in surprise and prayed the car would gain control, or the light would turn. Of course, neither happened. I tried to move out into the intersection a bit to get away from the car that lost control, but it was too late. The car slammed into me and I gasped in surprise.
But that wasn't the worst part. The impact sent my car sliding across the wet pavement into the intersection. I tried to brake, but it didn't work. I saw an oncoming car and I knew it was too late. I braced for impact, and when it came; everything went black.