Sequel: The Fleury Life
Status: Completed

The Crosby Life

Waking Up

I heard a faint beeping in the distance. I couldn't see anything either, then I realized my eyes were closed; but I was having trouble opening them. My head was pounding and my left wrist was screaming in pain. By the time I realized the god aweful pain, I let out a moan.
After the moan, I felt a soft squeeze on my right hand. I automatically curled my fingers over the hand that held mine.
"Sierra?" Sidney's voice broke through the darkness and the pain. I was finally able to slowly open my eyes, squinting at the bright light. How unusual. I thought to myself.
Sidney's voice was more elevated, but relieved this time around. "Sierra!" I opened my eyes completely and turned my head to look at him. I squinted my eyes at him again and then took in my surroundings.
"Where...am... I?" I asked my brother. I was finding it hard to speak, and speaking killed my head. I didn't understand what was going on.
Sidney squeezes my hand again, his face was full of sorrow and I tried to move my wrist, only to stop and moan. "You are in the hospital, Sierra." He told me quietly, as if I would spook at him talking louder.
I gave my brother a curious look. "Huh?" I said, part incoherantly. "Why?" I asked him, trying to sit up, but he held me down and sat on the edge of the bed I was in.
"You were in a car accident. Just a little ways from our place. A car behind you lost control and slammed you from behind, causing you to roll out into the intersection because of the wet pavement." Sidney explained to me, and it all came back to me.
I thought about the last moments before I blacked out; being slammed into, trying to stop the rolling into the traffic, and then noticing the car coming at me. And ultimately, blackness.
I was able to find myself and speak. "Oh." I said and looked back at Sidney. "I'm a wreck, aren't I?" I asked him quietly, my voice coming to me more easily.
Sidney nodded and stretched himself out next to me. I placed my head on his shoulder and he rested his cheek on my head. "The car hit you from the side. Your head slammed into the glass, leaving a terrible gash along your hairline. And the crash crushed your already injured wrist." He told me and I sighed.
I tried to make a joke about it. "Well, I guess that doctor visit came a little early then." Sidney gave a dry laugh.
"What about mum and dad and Taylor?" I asked him.
Sidney rubbed his thumb on my arm. "Dad took Taylor home, it's a school night for her. Last week of school and she can't miss it. Mum is taking a walk." He said and I nodded. "Marc-Andre is worried sick about you." He added at the end.
I gasped slightly and tried to move, but that didn't work so well. I just moaned again and Sidney held me back. "Just relax." He whispered and I did.
"You told him?" I asked.
Sidney gave another dry laugh. "Of course, considering he has called and texted you and you haven't replied in 2 days."
I also gagged. "I've bene unconcious for two days?!" I was flabbergasted.
I felt Sidney nod. "Yeah. He wanted me to call him when you woke up. So when mum gets here, I'll have to go call him."
A soft knock came at the door and my mother and a doctor stood at the door. "You may go do that now, Sid." My mother said, she looked so tired.
Sidney nodded and slowly got up, placing me gently back down without hurting me. "Mum?" I asked as Sidney left.
Both her and the doctor came over and she sat next to me. "I'm so happy you are finally awake." She whispered, holding my good hand as I kept my hazel eyes on the man in the white jacket. I really hate doctors.
The doctor cleared his throat. "How are you feeling, Miss. Crosby?" He asked me and I narrowed my eyes.
"I feel oh so fantastic." I said sarcastically and my mother sucked in a breath.
"Sierra, manners!" She scolded me and I mumbled an apology.
The doctor smiled gently. "I know you can't be feeling great. It was quite a hit to your head...and quite a break to your wrist." He said, and against I grumbled a sarcastic thanks as he pointed out the obvious.
He continued on. "You will probably be in pain for a while, but there wasn't any serious or life-threatening issues." He looked me over. "You can probably go home tonight. You could use your home environment."
I said, "Awesome." Just as my mother said, "Thank the lord." I gave her a look and the doctor guy helped me sit up.
"I will give you some pain medication for you to take for the week. After that, you can't take anymore." I nodded and looked at my battered self. My wrist was in a brace/cast. It was a mix between the two. My whole left side looked like a big bruise and I moaned.
The doctor chuckled and I had the urge to punch him. I'm not the violent type, don't get me wrong. We in Nova Scotia are raised properly, we are good people. But this guy was really pissing me off.
"The bruises will go away soon enough. The stitches on your head will need to come out in a week, your brother already made the appointment. And your wrist should take about 6 weeks, if you don't put any pressure on it." I just stared at the guy.
"I don't think I could put pressure on it if I wanted to without screaming." I said to this guy. "And I am not stupid, I know how to take care of a broken wrist." Wow, being down for two days really made my temper flare. But doc here just waved it off.
He put some notes down on my sheet and nodded to me and my mother. "Take care now, and don't miss your apointment." He said.
I watched him leave. "I don't plan on it." I mumbled and my mother hugged me.
"I am so happy you weren't terribly hurt!" She cried and I groaned because she was hugging too hard. "Once we get you home, you will not need to suffer~"
I interrupted her. "Mum, I'm not going to Cole Harbour." I said and she looked at me in shock.
I felt Sidney's pressence in the doorway but I just stared into my mother eyes. "I don't want to go to that home. I want to go to my home here, in Enfield." I said to her. "Sidney can take care of me, it's not like I will be a lot of trouble."
I finally looked at Sidney and he smiled. My mother turned around to face him and then let out a sigh and nodded. "You guys aren't my babies anymore. I can't help but want to take care of you guys." She said quietly as Sidney came over.
I put my hand on hers and smiled. "We are adults now, we can take care of ourselves." I said, and Sidney said. "She will be safe in my care, mum."
She pulled us both in a hug, where I completely ignored the pain.
Our mother stood up and tried to help me up. My left side burned like crazy and I moaned. My mother gave me a worried look but I just shook my head. "I'm fine, just sore." I said and started to waddle to the bathroom to change into my own clothes.
I hobbled out of the bathroom and Sidney was sitting on the bed. "He's extremlely relieved you are alright. But he would like to talk to you tomarrow."
I nodded and fell onto the bed next to Sidney. "Ok, I'd like to talk to him too." I said, trying to make my voice sound indifferent...apparently it didn't work.
The realization definately hit my brother. "Ah." He said. I could hear the smile in his voice. "It's Marc-Andre." He said, not as a question. But I answered anyways.
"Yes." I said softly, and almost shyly. I tried to change the subject. "How beat up is my car?" I asked Sid.
My brother shrugged. "Pretty beat up, but repairable. It's in the shop now." He said and helped me to my feet. I leaned heavily on him on my right side. "I approve, by the way." He said.
I looked up at him and our hazel eyes met. "You approve?" I asked him. My head hurt, so I couldn't exactly think correctly.
Sidney laughed and we started to walk out of the room, just as my mother came in to grab my stuff. "I approve of Marc-Andre. He is a great guy. A gentleman, and kind. He is good to you, as he is to everyone. There isn't too many guys I would trust my sister with, but I would happily give you to him." He said.
I snorted and then laughed. "You make me sound like a present." I said and he smiled. It hurt to laugh, but I didn't care.
"I know." He said as he sighed me out. "I just wanted to make you laugh." He smiled at me. "But I really do approve."
I rested my head on his shoulder as my mom scurried to grab the car. "Thank you.." I whispered to him. "I..." I hesitated. "I really do like him....a lot." I said.
Sidney let out a chuckle. "Good." Was all he said to me as our mother brought up the car.
Sidney carefully slid me into the back seat and sat next to me. I refrained from putting any pressure on my left wrist at all, and being in the chilly Nova Scotia night weather actually cleared my head.
We drove in silence, all three of us. Not that I minded at all, it was nice. We arrived at the place Sidney and I call home and my brother had to carry me into the house. He carried me up the stairs and set me in my bed. (I happened to already be in my pajamas.)
I looked around my room and then looked at Sidney. "You already got my room set up?" I asked him and I grabbed a hold of Pen.
Sidney nodded. "Yes. It isn't like I had a lot to do the past few days." He said, grabbing the remote. "I don't think you will be sleeping too much." He said.
I nodded. "At least not until this pain medication sets in." I said. My wrist was throbbing, and I think it was affecting my head too.
Sidney smiled gently and opened my window a crack before closing my blinds. "I'll tell mum that you wanted peace." He said, just as my cat, Aislinn, hopped up on the bed.
I pet her happily. "Aislinn!" I called out and she rubbed against me.
Sidney started to walk out. "I'll see you in the morning, Erra. Sleep well." He said quietly.
"Goodnight, Sidney." I said, nestling into my comfortable bed happily.
I was starting to drift off and my phone vibrated with a text...or two. I opened them. One was from Jenna, saying she wanted me to call her whenever I was feeling better. The other, from Marc-Andre. He was wishing me a goodnight and hoped I felt better in the morning.
I replied to Marc-Andre's saying thank you and goodnight. I put my phone on my side table and continued to pet Aislinn with the arm that didn't feel like someone was drilling through.
Somehow, I was able to drift into a sleep. Not a deep sleep, but enough for time to pass as I slept between my cat and my stuffed penguin.