Sequel: The Fleury Life
Status: Completed

The Crosby Life

Losing Sucks

The final horn had blown after our 6-2 defeat against the Florida Panthers on January 3rd. I was on the ice as it blew, and I stalked off the ice in a fit of rage, stalking down to the locker room.
As I entered the locker room, my stick slammed against the doorway and it broke. I swore and picked up the two pieces and tossed them inthe garbage.
I felt strong arms wrap around me and I sunk back into Marc-Andre's grasp as he whispered things in my ear to calm me down.
All of the guys eventually piled into the locker room and I had finally calmed down and started to take off all of my gear.
Not a lot of things were said this time around, as our losing streak stretched to a season high of five games. It was eerily quiet, and I looked over to see Geno with his head in his hands.
I finished getting ready, and listened through Coach's talk, and headed outside the locker room to wait for everyone to finish up and come outside.
Evgeni happened to be the first one out, and I quickly turned around and beckoned for him to come over. I noticed how his dark eyes were clouded over and downcast. "What's wrong?" I asked him, forcing his tall frame to sit down on the bench. Again, he slumped as he sat.
Geno didn't look into my eyes. In fact, he didn't look at me at all. His broken English was quiet, making it a tad harder to understand him. Thankfully I'm used to the harsh accent. "It is my fault that we lost." He said.
I sighed and sat down next to him, placing my hand on his shoulder. "You don't know that, Evgeni. It isn't like the blame can all fall onto you." I said.
He shrugged and his shoulders dropped slightly more. "It started when he plucked the puck from my stick. I should have been able to hold onto it." He said. "And I'm not scoring like I should be."
I leaned forward and looked at him, knowing he wouldn't look at me. I could feel his confidence draining from him, I could after each game. "Geno, that is not your fault. Everyone goes through a slump, just like every team does. You just need to find your game again." I said quietly.
Geno sighed and turned his head to look at me. "Do you really believe that?" He questioned me.
I nodded my head just as Mark and Brent came out of the locker room. "I do believe it." I said, standing up as Marc-Andre came out.
Evgeni nodded and stood up as everyone else came out of the locker room. I tucked myself under Marc-Andre's arm and Sidney walked beside us as we headed outside to the bus that would take us to the airport to go home.
I felt Marc-Andre's lips on my head. "You really shouldn't have broken your stick." He said as I rubbed my wrist along the scar.
I looked up at him as we got on the bus. "I didn't mean too." I muttered, sliding into a seat against the middle so he could have the aisle space.
He grinned and Sidney sat across of us with Max. Sidney pulled out a gronola bar and I reached across Marc-Andre to take a piece of it, smiling my thanks to my brother who was not in the best of moods. When he is angry or upset, he gets really quiet and distant. But he never, ever loses his temper.
"It sure didn't seem that way, considering how mad you were. And probably still are." He said quietly as I snuggled against him.
I ate the piece of gronola bar as Max talked to Jay Jay (my nickname for him). "Well, of course I'm pissed off." I said. "That's five games, Marc. I'm so frustrated!"
Marc-Andre stroked my arm and rested his cheek on my head. "I know, darling. I'm as frustrated as you are. But we can't keep thinking about it, it will only affect our game even more. We need to simplify things and get back on our game." He said and Sidney looked over at us.
"Thank you." Sidney said, and I lifted my head to look at him. Marc-Andre looked slightly confused as well. Sidney shook his head. "I guess I just needed to hear that from someone other than myself." He said quietly.
I smiled softly at my brother who turned back to whatever it was he was doing. (Which I believe was daydreaming.)
We reached the airport and we climbed out of the bus. I took in the fairly warm air compared to Pittsburgh's, and savored it, knowing that we were heading back to the cold and snowy weather.
We checked in and headed to our private plane. We were able to get on immediately and Marc-Andre and I sat together. (No duh.)
Sidney called Jenna to tell her we were coming home and will be there in a few hours, and then turned off his phone, leaning back into the seat.
I quickly took my medication I had to take in order to fly so I don't get sick or panic, and we were up in the air within ten minutes.
For some odd reason, all of the guys started to sing '99 Bottles of Beer On The Wall.' Yeah, we are a little strange...just a little. Hey, it makes us feel better, well a little bit.
I shook my head at the crazy men I consider family and tried to tune them out as I read a book. Marc-Andre played his PSP, which was a little hard for him because I was leaning on him. Tee hee.
The flight seemed to fly by, and everyone's mood improved throughout it. Even Sidney was starting to back out of his distant shell and I started to bicker with him, knowing it would help. It sounds weird, but trust me, it's a sibling thing.
We landed in the Pittsburgh airport and I was more than ready to get off and stretch. Our large group got off the plane and grabbed our hockey bags while running from the runway into the airport. It was so much colder in Pittsburgh than Florida!
Marc-Andre and I huddled while chuckling at Brooks. He was doing an impersonation of his reaction when he got the call from his father that he was on Team U.S.A for the Olympics.
I was upset that three of my teammates would be going up against my brother and boyfriend, and the fact we were all split on who we all want to win. But it is what it is, and Team Canada will win! They only have the best players and goalies in the league, and I mean that literally since Brodeur is on Team Canada.
This was going to be a great Olympic year for my home country, especially hockey, that was for sure.
We all got on the bus to head back to the Mellon Arena, where all of our vehicles sat. I noticed that Geno seemed to be a little more cheerful, which was good because we need to get back on top and that can't happen when players are upset with themselves.
The bus was quieter than on the plane. It was around midnight and we were definitely ready to all hit the hay.
I yawned and rested my head on Marc-Andre's lap, curled up in the seat. He stroked my hair while talking to Sid and Pascal.
We made it to Mellon Arena and we filed out of the bus, wanting to head to our cars and be on our way home. But Coach wanted to tell us something.
"We will be having a practice tomorrow." He said and we all nodded. I wasn't the least surprised considering we have a lot to work on. "You may go now. Rest up and see you in the morning."
"Yes sir." We said, and weall headed our separate ways.
Marc-Andre's and Sidney's car were parked side by side, as always. He kissed my forehead. "Are you going home tonight?" He asked me.
I nodded. "Yeah. If that is ok with you." I said quietly, yawning again.
Marc-Andre smiled and leaned down to kiss me goodnight. "Of course it is alright with me. You know I always respect your decisions." He said, making me smile.
I turned to Sidney. "Keys." I ordered, not trusting that we was completely over being upset. He sighed and handed me the keys, getting in the car. "Goodnight, Marc." I said to him, kissing him again before getting in the cold car and starting her up.
"Goodnight, my love." He said, getting in his own vehicle and started to back up and head down the street.
I followed behind him most of the way home, since his place was close by. I pulled off onto the street that the Lemieux mansion was on and pulled into the driveway.
Sidney and I trudged into the house, both extremely tired, and I saw Jenna was asleep on the couch.
I noticed the soft smile on Sid's face, even in the shadows by the door. He went over and picked up Jenna, carrying her to her room.
I put away both of our hockey bags and dropped his personal items off in his room as he closed Jenna's door.
Sidney looked up me, his eyes were as soft as the smile he wore. "Thank you." He lipped to me, kissing me cheek goodnight.
I patted his shoulder and headed into my own room, closing my door. I got in my fleece pajamas and grabbed Pen out of my bag and crawled into my bed. I put my phone in its usual spot and rested back against my pillow, turning off the light.
I curled up and touched the heart locket at my neck, and smiled to myself in the dark. I closed my eyes and closed my hand around the locket, feeling its shape in my hand, and the love from Marc that it shows.
I drifted off to sleep like that, except my black cat, Aislinn, joined me on my bed, curled up in a ball at my feet. My dreams were filled of none other than my Marc-Andre.