Sequel: The Fleury Life
Status: Completed

The Crosby Life

Gold... The Best Colour In The World

Slovakia. Do I really need to say anything about that team? Besides the fact my second least favorite person in the world is on that team. Yes, I am talking about Marian I-think-I’m-so-great Hossa.
But enough of my not-so kindness, because Team Canada finished them off in the semifinals, sending them packing as their gold medal dreams were crushed.
And that means that Team Canada is heading for the gold, playing against the mean and nasty United States.
Marc-Andre had his jersey on and I was wearing a Crosby one, considering that’s my name but my brother’s number. We sat together behind the Team Canada bench, watching the game as we were in the lead.
The final minutes of the game were excruciating, and I yelled the “f” word when Parise tied the game up. Marc-Andre squeezed my hand and I looked up into his dark eyes. We had a silent agreement- this was Sidney’s chance, and maybe even his destiny.
I held onto Marc’s hand tightly as overtime played out, and it took a second to register in my brain that Sidney’s shot had made it past Miller, and was in the back of the net to win the game- and gain Canada gold.
I screamed and threw my arms around Marc-Andre’s neck and he picked me up and spun me around, as tears fell down my cheek and we both continued to shout. The arena was in an uproar; hockey is Canada’s game, and Canada just won it.
“Come.” Marc said, pulling me through the wild crowd that surrounded us. He may not have played, but Marc-Andre is a part of Team Canada, and he would get a medal as well.
We walked to the railing where Coach Babcock was waiting for us. He helped Marc jump down to the runway, and Marc-Andre picked me up and set me on the ground next to him just as people laid out the carpet over the ice.
“This is your game.” Babs said, sending Marc-Andre to the ice, who smiled his usual, brilliant smile and stood next to his teammates. (He is taller than a few of them, and he is wearing shoes and they are wearing skates. I find that cute.)
I spotted my dad at the railing and walked over to him. My family was sitting in the row behind me and Marc-Andre. “I believe these are yours to give.” He said, handing me the two bouquets of flowers I had bought.
I saw a tear in my father’s eye, which brought more tears to my own as I smiled. “Thank you, dad.” I said, just as Babs put his hand on my shoulder.
I turned from my father as he went to go cheer with my family, and gave Coach Babcock a puzzled look. “Sierra, you may not have been on that team, but it is still your team. Go out there, they will let you. Stand with your family; I know you have things you want to give.” He said with a smile. “Get going, before they start naming them.” He ushered me to the ice.
I grinned. “Thank you.” I said, stepping onto the ice and stood next to the people who would give out the gold medals. I could feel the stares I was receiving, but I didn’t care.
The silver medals were handed out and I bowed slightly to them in respect. I could see Brooks smile at me, and I knew that he was happy with what he got. I ignored Kane at all costs.
The names of the Team Canada players were being read out loud, and they were handed the gold. I shook hands with every single one of them, and Igy gave me a hug while Eric grinned at me. When they stop in front of Marc-Andre, the pride swelled inside of me, and tears appeared in my eyes once again.
His name was called, and Marc-Andre bent over to claim his medal and shake hands with the man who gave him the medal. His eyes locked on me as I took a step forward and handed him one of the bouquets. I kissed him softly and quickly, and I saw his eyes glisten. “I’m so proud of you, so very proud.” I said to him as the crowd roared through our quick kiss, and after.
Marc grinned at me. “I love you too.” He said as I stepped away from him, and continued to follow the others.
We all stopped in front of my brother, and everyone turned to look at me. I blinked in surprise and saw Sidney smile. I was handed a microphone and a girl whispered in my ear. “He is your brother, you announce him.”
I closed my eyes and smile. I opened them as the man with me raised his arms and everyone roared for the man who won the game. “Sidney Crosby!” I yelled into the microphone, and the arena was in such a hullabaloo that I couldn’t hear a thing.
The gold medal was put around my brother’s neck, and I tossed the microphone at someone and ran and threw myself into Sidney’s arms. He stumbled backwards and laughed as I shrieked and cried and told him how happy I was that I was related to him.
I finally pulled away as the anthem was about to start, and gave him the roses I had bought. He put his arms around me as we sung the Canadian anthem together to celebrate our win.
After the song was done, Marc-Andre came up to me and picked me up, throwing me onto his shoulders. I shrieked, and the laughed as we went over to take the picture. “Put me down!” I said to him, laughing, but he just shook his head and laughed.
The Canadian flag came onto the ice, and the players took turn skating around with it. Sidney skated around with it last before we were ushered off the ice.
Marc put me down, but held me close as family members for each player hugged their sons. I spotted my father before Sidney did, and I pointed.
Troy Crosby didn’t even look at anyone else; he was so focused upon his son. Sidney smiled and father and son stopped on front of each other. “You are an amazing child.” My dad said. He then pulled Sidney into a huge hug, and tears fell down his cheeks. “I love you.”
Sidney hugged our father tightly. “I love you too, dad.” He said softly.
I wrapped my arm around Marc-Andre’s waist and watched the touching scene between my family.
Jonathan walked up to us. “Sid, we best get cleaned up.” He said. “We have a closing ceremony to go to, and a party afterwards.”
Sidney laughed. “Yeah, ok.” He said, leaving us to head towards the locker room.
My father looked over and me and Marc. “How is it that I had and raised three great hockey players?” He asked, hypothetically. “And two of them are in the NHL.”
Marc-Andre grinned. “It must be something in the blood.” He said, and my father grinned at him. I bit my lip and grinned at them.
I looked at my cell phone. “Marc, you have a call to make before we head out.” I said to him, smiling. He nodded and walked off. The pride that I felt for the two men that I loved most in the world was almost overwhelming, and I was so happy.
The closing ceremony was about to begin, and the athletes were all crowding around, excited and ready to go. Sidney stepped on my foot amongst the chaos, and I elbowed him, hard, in his side. “That hurt, Sidney!” I growled at him, slipping my foot out of my shoe and rubbing it.
“Sorry, Sierra.” He said as I rolled my eyes at him.
The music sounded outside, and I felt someone raise me onto their shoulders. I gasped and looked down to see Lu, with Marc-Andre chuckling next to him. “Let’s celebrate, shall we?” Lu said to me, and Marc winked.
We entered BC Place and walked around. I held up my arms and cheered along with the rest of my country, and threw the moose antlers that were given to everyone into the crowd.
Lu set me down as we went over to take our seats for the beginning of the closing ceremony, but as soon as it was party time, we were all on the center floor once again.
All of the hockey players were wearing their jerseys, and Marc-Andre and I were delighted that Nickelback was up first. And better yet, Burn It to the Ground was the song they played. We danced to the song, not very well if I may add, and I leaned my head against his chest. “This is amazing.” I breathed heavily to him.
Marc rested his chin on the top of my head and closed his eyes. “A chance of a lifetime.” He agreed, and I chuckled at the slightly broken English.
“Are you ready to go home?” I asked him as we swayed to Avril Lavigne’s song.
“Yes.” He stated. “Are you?”
I nodded my head slightly. “Yeah, I miss our home.” I said quietly. “And I miss playing.”
Marc-Andre chuckled. “I knew you’d say that.” I looked up at him curiously. “I just hope my house isn’t in ruins.” He muttered, and I busted out laughing.
“Marc-Andre!” I yelled playfully. “Jordan wouldn’t do such a thing.”
He grunted. “We’ll see.” That may sound mean, but his tone of voice was playful, and I could only laugh.
“May I dance with her for a bit?” Jonathan’s voice came from behind me.
I turned around in Marc’s arms. “Sure.” He replied, kissing me forehead before striding over towards Lu and Marty. They remind me of a goaltender version of the three musketeers.
Jonathan took my hand and we danced, more or less, to the Headley group. I looked up at him curiously. “You don’t want to just dance with me.” I stated, and he looked down. “What is it?” I asked.
I saw him sigh and he spun me in a circle. “I wanted to say I’m sorry for all the bad things that happened between us this week.” He said, and a hint of an accent slipped through. “Especially on that first day.”
I smiled at him. “It’s fine.” I reassured him. “Just don’t think of doing it again, because I won’t be so lenient next time.” I grinned wickedly at him.
Jonathan laughed. “You call all those things you said lenient?” He asked, but didn’t give me a chance to answer. “If that was lenient, I don’t want to see you utterly pissed.”
I shrugged playfully. “Ask the guys. They will tell you it isn’t a pretty sight.” I chuckled.
“Touché.” Jonathan said.
Sidney’s voice came before I could reply to Johnny. “Excuse me, I’d like some time with my sister.”
Jonathan bowed his head in a gentleman like way, and Sidney pulled me into a hug. “I love you, Siddy.” I whispered in his ear.
Sidney laughed. “I love you too, sis.” We spun in a circle. “I think I’m going to miss all the guys here.” He said with a distant tone in his voice.
I leaned against my twin. “I know,” I started. “I am too.”
Getz appeared out of nowhere and yelled at us. “BOO!” He started to laugh as Sidney glared at him. “Sorry, you guys looked like you were off in another land; I couldn’t help myself.” I giggled and hid my face against Sidney. “The real reason I’m here, is because we are leaving. It’s party time!” Getz zipped off, leaving Sidney and I confused.
We both looked at each other, and shrugged at the same time, just as Marc-Andre and Marty started to stride over to us. Marc slipped his arms around my waist as Marty led the way. “Are you ready?” The goaltender asked.
“Ready for what?” Sidney and I said at the exact same time, in the exact same tone.
Marc-Andre chuckled next to me, but it was Marty who answered. “Well, my dear little destiny entwined twins, it’s party time!”
Sidney and I caught each other’s eyes, and we started to laugh. “Let’s get ready to rumble!” We said together, and Marc-Andre and Marty laughed as we headed in the direction of the celebration.