Status: Time Travel. Demons. Beelzebub himself. All after me, George Carter. It never rains it pours.

The Time Travel memoirs: Lost And So Alone

Chapter 76: Finding my wings

My favour was directed towards a mechanic who had taken a shine to the Majestic. The mechanic and I were very good friends, I would often stop by his garage. That was years before I even met Lloyd. The mechanic worked in deep space, the year didn’t seem to matter to him. I don’t know how David did it, but he got here. “Sir, does he have a time machine or something?” asked Lloyd. I grinned and shrugged as we approached the cloaked ship.

“Lloyd, it’s really best not to ask, David will help us happily, but I don’t want to put him off by asking questions.”
I shook hands with David and he commented on my change of coat. “Yeah, I lost the old one in the same accident that I lost the Majestic in.” He nodded sympathetically, “you want to call that favour in George?” I nodded, “we’re going to build a new ship, and she’s going to be more majestic than ever.” David smiled and turned back to his ship. We followed the mechanic back to his ship and took a seat.

The four of us had done our best to draw up schematics of our old plans for a new ship. This ship would be bigger than the Majestic. The schematics held plans for nine rooms, five bedrooms, an armoury, a living room a kitchen and a bathroom. “I’m sticking to my plan; I want the wings to look like that of a spitfire, but more curved, like the Majestic’s wings.”
Susie took my hand, “Lloyd, when can we see to George’s hand?” Lloyd looked back at us and he scratched his head thinking. When we’ve finished building the ship, we can then take you to somewhere that specialises in bionic hands. “How exciting” I said faking enthusiasm. Lloyd grinned. “Let’s get to work sir.”
***
Was it all worth it? I admit it was, the new ship was a beauty, and I had her coloured a dark shade of green, not unlike my trench coat. Further inspection of my new coat told me that Lloyd had a captain’s rank badge sewn onto the upper sleeve. The four of us and David the mechanic stood sweating, but staring up to the titan ship in amazement. “We’ve built that, it looks just gorgeous.” A smile spread across Lloyd’s face like fire. “Damn right she is sir, the armoury is stocked too.” I turned to Lloyd, “how is it stocked?” David put his hand up smiling, “listen George, when people bring ships to my garage to be fixed I ask them not to have weapons on board or they will be confiscated. You have the confiscated goods now; I don’t need all of that shit.”

I shook David’s hand tightly and brought my mechanic into a manly hug. I broke away from David and pressed a remote which controlled parts of the ship. At the press of a button the side door of my ship opened and a stairway came down. “This is a good feature, a side door, on the Majestic we had to go in the cargo door in the back for entrance.” Zach nodded whistling, “you did well captain.” Susie flicked me gently. “So, what are you going to name it Georgie?” She asked. I noticed David scout over to a metal cupboard and return with a pot of red paint.

I thought for a moment, I genuinely did. The naming of a ship is a very important thing, a little like a ceremony. It can go wrong and I didn’t want my ship to be named something stupid. When John named the Majestic he named it because that was how it flew. Majestically, it dipped through the atmosphere at ease, mainly because of the curve of its wings. I had insisted upon having those wings on my new ship too. I took up the red paint and used a step ladder to climb to the top of the ship, near the porthole windows. I painted the name on in elegant lettering. “I christen thee the Revelation.”

Zach smiled and clapped his hands. “It’s got a kind of right to it” said Susie smiling. I turned to Lloyd to ask his opinion; he tapped me on the back and lit a cigar. “Damn, the irony. That’s a damn good name George, I couldn’t have thought of a better one. We stepped aboard the Revelation. “Thanks for your help David” I said, pumping David’s hand. I could tell under all of the engine oil on his face that he was happy to have helped.
Susie and I scouted to the front of the Revelation and entered the cockpit.

The cockpit was much like the Majestic’s but it was roomier and the leather seats were much more comfortable. Oh yeah, the seats reclined and were able to massage you on long journeys. God this was the life. I put my hands on the controls and inhaled. The touch of the ship was exhilarating. The machine was brand new and ready to go and it was mine.
I swivelled the seat to face Susie as she entered.

“You know, I think I’ll hire Lloyd to be my pilot.” She tilted her head smiling, “can’t you fly the ship?” I nodded, “of course, but Lloyd is a better pilot than I am, he always has been actually.” Susie walked to me and sat on my knee. When her body touched mine again I relaxed and let out all of the stress I had been feeling lately. Her head lay on my chest, when she spoke I could barely hear her, it was almost a whisper. “When you left I missed you so.” I stroked her hair gently. “Which time, when you left or when I was in hospital?” She lifted her head and smiled, “both you idiot.” That made me laugh, when I start to laugh, so do other people. Soon laughter filled the new ship for the first time and definitely not the last.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading, 2 more chapters and my story closes!
Please comment and or subscribe