Status: Hiatus

I Feel Our Memories Fade With Time.

It's Not Always Perfect.

As the first semester of college was closing down, and it was time for finals, stress seemed to be something that hung around. It hung around and did not wanna go away. Steph was studying when I got home. The place was dead silent. I went to our bedroom and heard a tapping sound. I peeked in and saw Steph tapping a pen against a pad of paper. Something was off though, because I knew that when she was studying, she usually had music blasting.

“Steph?”

“Urgh, what!?” she said in a frustrated tone.

“What’s wrong?”

“Finals, that’s what’s wrong. I hate this shit.” She slammed a textbook shut, almost knocking over a can of Coke.

“Just take a break for a little while. If you keep staring at it, it’s not gonna help.”

“No I need to pass this exam. I need to cram for it. I need to cram like I’ve never crammed before.”

I could tell she was really upset, and I hated seeing her upset. I went to her and tried to hug her, but she pushed me away.

“Steph? What was that for?”

“Just leave me alone,” she said.

“I’m just trying to be nice. You know I hate seeing you stressed out.”

“You’ve never seen me stressed out.”

“I hate seeing you in any kind of bad mood.”

“Whatever. Just go away.”

“Steph, just take a break. Get your head together for a little bit here.”

“Tyler, I don’t need this right now. Just go away and let me study!” she was nearly yelling now.

I opened my mouth to reply, but I decided I shouldn’t. I just sighed and walked out of the room. I went and sat on the couch, turning on the TV. There wasn’t anything on, so I just left it on the news and laid back. Steph was really stressing, over nothing too. After a while, I heard music coming from the bedroom. That usually meant she was in a better mood, so I went to check on her. Upon peeking into the room, she was slumped over the desk, face down in a book. I went and placed my hand on her back.

“Steph?”

“Hmm?”

“Are you ok?”

“Meh.”

“Sweetie, go take a hot shower or a bath or something? You need to go relax.”

With no words, she got up and went for the bathroom. I heard the bathwater running for a few minutes. I could faintly catch the scent of vanilla as I went by the bathroom door. Then I decided to make something to eat. It was one thing I didn’t get from my dad. I could cook without setting fire to unnecessary things. As I had finished a chicken and vegetable dinner, I heard water draining and rustling from down the hallway. A few minutes later I looked up and saw Steph walking out, looking more refreshed, and better.

“What smells good?” she asked.

“Chicken and stuff.”

“Yes. Food!”

“I see you’re in a better mood?” I asked, dishing up the food.

“Yes, the bath helped,” she said, sitting at the table. “Come on Martha Stewart, I want my food.”

I rolled my eyes and brought the plates to the table. Before I sat down though, I went and hugged Steph from behind, burying my face into her neck, taking in the vanilla scent.

“You smell good,” I said.

“Tyler, you’re turning gay on me!” Steph said, trying to sound shocked.

I laughed and took my seat. Dinner like normal. With the most random conversation ever.

“Don’t let the finals get to you,” I said. “You’re doing just fine, so you don’t have to worry that much.”

“I know, but I’m too much of a perfectionist. I want to get the best grades I can get.”

“Who doesn’t?” I asked.

“Well your finals are easy. All you gotta do is act. You and your fancy theater stuff.”

“Ha, that would pay off when I’m a famous actor.”

“Then I could drop out of work and school, and live off you!” she paused for a moment. “Okay I’m kidding on that part.”

I laughed, then got up to bring my plate to the sink. Steph brought hers shortly after, and washed both of them. I sat and turned on the TV, watching the news for a while. Steph eventually came and curled up next to me. We watched in silence for a while, until she piped up.

“We need a pet. We should get a puppy,” she said.

I blinked. “Okay, where is this coming from?”

“I dunno, we just need a pet. Please, Tyler? Can we get a puppy?” she asked, sticking out her bottom lip.

“We could go look tomorrow maybe. What kind of puppy?” I asked, narrowing an eyebrow at her.

“I dunno. Just something to make it a little more fun around here.”

I laughed slightly, but I did agree with her. It would ease some tension.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are love. I mean, I have like 20 something people subscribed here, and only a few commenting. I know someone who would be angry if I ended this so abruptly because people don't comment.