Status: Hiatus

I Feel Our Memories Fade With Time.

This Is It

I got up to the roof earlier, made sure everything was perfect. The sun was setting, the city lights were slowly taking over, and I was pacing nervously. I looked at my watch every few minutes. Seven fifty-eight. Why was I so nervous?

“Ty!?” My dad called from behind the door. “Stop pacing. You’ll fall through the roof. It’ll be fine. Just do it!”

I nodded and looked again. Seven fifty-nine. My eyes fell on the door and stayed there. My watch beeped eight, and a few seconds later, the door opened. Steph walked out, looking just as beautiful as she did at our prom. This was it. Now or never. I grabbed her hand and led her to the table. Trying to be a gentleman, I pulled out her chair for her to sit, then I sat across from her.

“So, what’s for dinner?” she asked, eyeing the covered plates.

“Nothing special. Just some spaghetti.”

“Being old fashioned, like the movies eh?” she asked, laughing a bit.

“Maybe I am,” I laughed right back.

We talked over dinner, watching the sun set, taking in the view of the LA lights. Could you ask for anything more romantic? I don’t think so. Then it hit me like a slap in the face. I knew the exact moment to ask. She took the last drink of her water, set the glass down, and leaned back.

“That was good, Ty. Who cooked? You?”

“I had some help,” I said, smiling as I held her hand across the table. “So, I’ve been thinking.”

“About what?” she asked.

I released her hand, stood up, stepped around to her side, taking a knee.

“About us. About how I want us to be together forever. About us spending the rest of our lives with each other,” I paused to grab the box from my pocket. “Stephanie? Will you marry me?” I opened the box, revealing the ring.

She blinked, staring at me blankly. I waited for her answer.

“Tyler? Are you serious?” she asked.

“Yes.”

“For real, are you fucking serious? Where’s the camera? Am I getting punk’d?” She asked, looking around.

“Steph, no. Answer me.”

She looked around once more, still in disbelief. Then she looked back at me. I could see the tears building up into her eyes, a smile slowly creeping across her face.

“Yes,” she said, jumping into my arms. “Yes!” she shouted into my ear, causing me to jump.

Cheering came from behind the door as Katie, Kyle and all the parents came out, camera’s flashing, and a video camera glued to my dad’s hand. Steph didn’t even see them right away as she just held onto me, staring into my eyes, hugging me close. Her cheeks glistened with tears of joy. She leaned in, kissing me softly on the lips.

“I love you, Tyler,” she whispered.

“I love you too, Steph,” I said. “Now, do you want the ring?” I asked.

She finally let go of me, letting me put the ring on her finger. Then she noticed the parents, who all gathered around us in a huge group hug filled with happy words. After it calmed down a bit, we took pictures, and recorded some more. As the temperature dropped a bit, we moved the party back into the apartment for another hour. Things got quiet very quickly as everyone went to bed, and Steph and I went to our room. We laid in bed watching TV for a while. Toby was curled up between us, snoring softly like he always did. I caught Steph glancing at her left hand.

“Tyler, I love this ring. It’s gorgeous.”

“Just wait till you see the wedding ring you’re gonna get,” I said.

“Oh?”

“It’s even prettier than that.”

“I thought it was just going to be a band?”

“I may be traditional on some things, but I believe that the actual wedding ring should be better than the engagement ring.”

“Eh, whatever you believe. I don’t care, I’ll wear any kind of ring.”

I debated on telling her that it was my mom’s. I didn’t know how she’d take it. Being afraid that she would not want the ring because of that, I just decided not to tell her. I don’t think it’d be long before she figured out anyways. I honestly didn’t know.

“So, when do you want to have the wedding?” I asked.

“How about next summer? After we get out of school?”

“Well that doesn’t narrow it down much.”

“It’s December, Tyler. We have plenty of time to plan. Right now I just want to think about how happy I am right now,” she said with a smile.

She moved to a position where her head rested on my chest, and Toby was curled up against her side. I casually began to run my fingers through her hair until I started to fall asleep. I turned the TV off and laid back down, soon falling asleep, feeling accomplished with what I had done today.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is definately dedicated to my best friend Stephanie, who suffered the loss of a family member. Steph, whenever you read this, I hope it makes you feel at least a little better and happier. *Hugs*