Status: Hiatus

I Feel Our Memories Fade With Time.

Planning To Pop.

Saturday morning I was up really early. I had tried to go back to sleep, but I couldn’t get comfortable enough. Steph was still sound asleep, so I slowly got out of bed. I grabbed some clothes and got dressed before heading out of the bedroom. My dad was already awake as I could catch the scent of freshly brewing coffee throughout the apartment. Sure enough, he was watching the glass pot fill up, waiting to be the first to grab a cup.

“Morning, dad,” I said, startling him.

“You’re up early,” he said.

“Yeah I know.” I glanced at the stove that read 6:52 am.

“I have the ring, all boxed up nicely for you.”

“I just realized, don’t I need an engagement ring?”

“Yeah, that would help. How about we go shop for one today?”

“We should. I can bring Kyle and Katie too…or not, they have their parents here. We can go though. What time do they open?”

“We’ll leave in about an hour.”

“Yeah, it’ll work, because Steph likes to sleep in on the weekends. She won’t be up till at least 9 or 10.”

“So, when and how do you plan on asking her?”

I looked around just to make sure nobody was spying on us. The coast was clear.

“The top of our apartment complex has an amazing view of the city. At night it’s absolutely gorgeous. What I was thinking was that tonight, I set up this two person table, try to create a romantic candlelight dinner for us, have you guys hiding on the other side of the door. We’ll eat, stare at the city lights, then I’ll pop the question all traditional like. How’s that sound?”

“So you want to ask tonight?”

“Yeah.”

“What if we can’t find a ring?”

“Dad, we will. This is LA.”

“True. But what if it rains?”

“Dad, seriously, stop,” I gave him a look.

“I’m just messing with you. I think it’s perfect. Then what? We all come out and have a party?”

“Well that’s why you guys were going to be hiding, cause you’ll be able to hear it all, and as soon as I ask and hopefully get the yes, you’ll come out, take pictures and congratulate us.”

“I don’t think I could’ve planned a more romantic proposal. How about you go get ready and we go ring shopping?” He asked as he poured a cup of steaming coffee.

I nodded and went to take a shower. I walked around our room silently as to not disturb Steph. Dad and I left at 8 and were off to find jewelry stores. Of course, we couldn’t find an open one yet, so we walked around downtown for a while until stores actually started to open. We walked into the most expensive looking one we saw and began looking around. It was only an engagement ring, so I wanted something more simple than the wedding ring, yet similar looking. Then I saw it. It was a white gold band, thick at the top with a diamond placed in a socket. For something simple looking, I thought it was absolutely gorgeous.

“Question, Ty. Do you know what size she is?”

“Yes, eight and a half.”

“I may have to get mom’s ring resized then. Hers is a nine.”

“Well let me see how this one fits and we’ll go from there,” I said, looking around for an employee. “Excuse me ma’am?” I called out.

The young woman looked our way and headed over, smiling happily. “Yes? Do you need to see something?”

“Yes, I’m looking at that ring right there. Third row from you, fourth one in. Do you have it in an eight and a half?”

“Hmm, let me see.” She pulled the ring out, locked up the case and disappeared through a door.

“I hope they have it,” I said.

Five minutes later she came back out. “I’m sorry about that. I had to dig around and open up a bunch of boxes, but I did manage to find one,” she said, handing the box to me.

I looked at the ring closely. It seemed to have no flaws in it, and it looked perfect.

“I’ll take it,” I said.

“Alright, just come this way,” she said, going to the register. “Your total will be one thousand-three hundred forty-six dollars and sixty-nine cents.”

“I got this one, Ty,” dad said, handing his card to the lady.

“Dad, are you sure?”

“Yes, don’t worry about it.”

“Dad! Fine, I will pay you back though.”

“Don’t worry about it.”

I just grunted as the woman swiped the card and boxed up the ring. We thanked her and headed out. I felt bad for my dad buying the ring. I would pay him back whether he liked it or not. On the way home, we picked up Chinese food for lunch and headed back to the apartment. I hid the box in the car for now, knowing that Steph wouldn’t be using it. I planned to get the ring while she was getting ready for dinner. When we walked in, I pulled her to our room.

“Okay, so tonight, even though the parents are here, I want us two to have dinner on the roof tonight.”

“Why?” She looked at me weird.

“Just because. My dad said he would take your parents and go out on town. He said we needed alone time. Just get dressed in that dress you wore to prom back in high school. I know you still have it.”

“I do, but I don’t know if it still fits.”

“You haven’t changed a bit, it’ll fit. Be on the roof at eight. Not a minute less or a minute more.”

“Okay, it’s a date.”

She headed back out to the living room and I sat there thinking. There’s no turning back now, is there? Did I want to do it tonight? I looked up at the ceiling. Mom? Am I doing the right thing? As if she was in the room telling me what to do, I suddenly felt confident in my decision. But why were the butterflies still lingering?
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been so long. You know, important stuff. Hopefully I can start updating somewhat regularily.