‹ Prequel: Trust Me
Status: New and active

Finding Gerard

The town called Speck

Frank's point of view

I turned the radio louder and moved into the fast lane, foot on the floor, urging the car to go faster.

For two days I had driven West, feeling that I knew Gerard well enough to know roughly where he would be headed. California.

He'd be taking his time, skipping from town to town along the highway, inching his way West until he arrived at his destination.

I was currently in Pennsylvania, driving through what felt like endless farms. I scratched my head roughly, cursing the motel I had slept in last night.

"If I get head-lice..." I muttered threateningly to myself under my breath before realizing it didn't really sound like a very strong case against the motel if I decided to try and sue.

The signs flashing by outside the window indicated there was a town in the not too distant future. I was certain that Gerard would have gotten further away by now, but stopped to check nonetheless.

The town could have been called 'Speck' it was so small, like a speck or a crumb on the map. The main street consisted of literally, a corner store, a run-down looking deli and one dodgy looking bar. I decided to try them all, not like it would take long.

Clutching his picture in my left hand, I entered the corner shop. The old man behind the counter looked stunned to see a customer, he stared at me intently.

Deciding to give him some business, I picked up a bottle of soda and a bag of chips, carrying them over to the counter.

He rang them up, still looking at me with curiosity.

"You wouldn't have happened to have seen this man come by here?" I asked, holding out the picture.

The man looked at it, then looked at me.

"I saw him," he grunted, thrusting a plastic bag containing my items into my open hand.

"You.. you did?" I asked, stunned.

"Yeah... about... 58, 59 days ago," he said.

"Huh?" I asked.

"I saw him, 'bout 58 days ago. I never forget a face, 'specially not one who comes in here," he said.

"OK, well, thanks you sir," I said, following my gut instinct and getting the hell away from this weirdo.

58 days? I thought hopelessly. He's probably already in California by now. And who remembers it to the day?

As I got in the car I noticed the old man from the corner store staring at me intently out of the window. I looked away, avoiding eye-contact and decided to leave this town as fast as I could. I got back onto the interstate and opened my bag of chips, sighing deeply as I thought about the man I was searching for.

Ray's point of view

"Isn't she just the most beautiful thing?" I thought aloud as I looked at the photo of Angel next
to our bed.

"Mhm," grunted Bob, rolling over.

Bob had been short with me all afternoon, and it was our last afternoon to ourselves for possibly a while, so I wanted to sort out whatever was bothering him.

"Something wrong?" I asked.

"Nope," he said shortly, keeping his back to me.

"Well that's a lie."

"I'm not lying to you, there's nothing wrong Ray," he said stubbornly.

"You are the worst liar in the world Bob, what's bothering you?" I said, scooting over to him and putting my arm around his waist.

He was silent for a good few minutes before he replied. He turned over to face me, bright blue eyes full of emotion.

"I want another baby," he said softly.

A small firework went off in my heart and it took a moment for me to regain the power of speech.

"Me too," was all I could manage.

"I want it to be... well... " he trailed off.

"You want your baby," I finished for him, caressing his cheek lightly.

His eyes filled with tears.

"Bob, it'll be fine, I'm sure it will be fine."

Following his treatment for cancer we weren't entirely sure if Bob's fertility had been affected, and I knew it worried him.

"No, Ray, it wont be fine, I'm probably firing blanks," he said sadly, wiping a tear from his face.

"If you want this to happen, we need to find that out OK?"

"OK, let's do it, I don't want to wait any more. Will you sort it out for me? I don't want to call anybody..." he trailed off.

"Of course I will, anything for you," I smiled, placing a light kiss on his forehead, but all the while with worry bubbling up inside of me.
♠ ♠ ♠
I understand this is short and it's been a while, I will try to get some more posted this week! Comments make me happy.