Girls On Film

chapter 13

"Where's the fire?" Jeffey asked as Avery ran into his arms. She was dreading her arrival, but when she saw Jeffey, she couldn't get to him fast enough. She wrapped her arms around him and burried her face into his neck.

"I missed you." She said as she breathed him in. Jeffey ran his hands up and down her arms as he kissed the top of her head. Avery wanted to kiss him so badly, but she felt it would be wrong. She had been kissing Jimmy, and she couldn't bring herself to kiss Jeffey after that.

"You look nice." He told her. Avery smiled and held onto him tighter. "You ready to get out of here?" He asked her as he grabbed her bag. Avery nodded and reached for his hand.

They walked to his car in silence. Avery couldn't have been happier. She was afarid that she was going to just blurt it out, and that was the last thing she wanted to do. "I was kind of surprised when I found out you were coming home early." Jeffey said as he opened the passenger door for her. Avery bit down on her lip as he closed the door and walked around t the driver side.

"Why were you surprised?" She asked. "I was missing you, so I decided to come home."

"Yea." Jeffey said. He put the key into the ignition and put the car in gear. "You've missed me on other tours too, but you never came home early."

"This time was different." She said. She rested her head on the window and looked at the passing scenery. She brought her hand up to her stomach and sighed. She was starting to feel sick.

"Sophie came?" Jeffey asked. Avery nodded.

"Yea she got there before I left."

"She any bigger?" Jeffey asked. Avery flinched. She had no idea why he had a sudden interest in Sophie.

"No." Avery said. "She got an abortion."

"Really?" Jeffey asked looking at her for a second. Avery nodded again. "Wow. That sucks."

"Yea." She said. "Jimmy was crushed."

"I bet." Jeffey sighed. The rest of the ride was semi silent. Jeffey would ask Avery random questions which she would try to answer with one word. She wasn't in the talking mood. But she stopped looking out the window and focused on him. She took in all his features. She knew that today might be her last time with him. She had no idea how he was going to react when she tells him what she'd done. She was getting nervous and anxious and her stomach wasn't feeling any better. As they pulled up to the house, all her feelings and anxieties began to build up inside of her. She was going to break down at any moment. She could feel it. "Home sweet home." Jeffey said as he opened her door. Avery tried to smile as she looked up at him. Jeffey was looking down at her with this gorgeous grin. She wanted to kiss him so badly but her conscience wouldn't let her. "What's wrong?" Jeffey asked, his smile slowly fading.

"Nothing." Avery lied. "That flight just wore me out."

"Damn." Jeffey smiled as he closed the door. "I guess there's nothing going on tonight then, huh?" He asked. Avery let out a nervous giggle as they headed for the steps of their home.

"I guess not." She said. She let Jeffey wrap his arm around her waist as he slipped the key into the lock.

"I've got a surprise for you." Jeffey said as he pushed open the door for Avery. She stepped inside the house and let her jaw drop to the floor. Jeffey laughed a bit as he closed and locked the door. He grabbed her hand and began leading her up the stairs.

"Baby, you-"

"The house has been messy since before you left, and I knew you would bitch about it when you got here. So, I cleaned everything up yesterday." He said.

"You cleaned." Avery said with a surprised tone.

"It took me all damn day." He said. Avery's eyes began to water as she looked over the house. Jeffey wasn't the cleaning type, and neither was she. When the house would get really messy, she would clean, and Jeffey would contribute by lifting his feet up on the table so she could sweep. Now that he's cleaned up the whole house, it's only going to make it that much harder to tell him what she did.

"Oh Jeffey." Avery sighed as they reached their room. Their bed was made, there were no clothes on their spotless floor, and there was no dust on top of their dresser tops and television. Their closet door was open slightly showing off the neatly placed shoe boxes lined along the shelf. Avery looked around the room and slowly began to feel like shit. She mentally beat herself up as Jeffey placed her bag on the floor next to their bed. She felt like she was the room's only imperfection. "Oh Jeffey." She repeated.

"Are you still feeling tired?" Jeffey asked smiling as he slipped his arms around her waist. Tell him.

"Jeffey..." Avery said as she placed her hands on his. He kissed her on her cheek and burried his face into her neck. Tell him, now. "Jeffey, I have to tell you something." Avery said pulling away from him.

"What?" He asked her. She grabbed his hand and pulled him over to their. What is it?" He asked. He had a confused look on his face as he sat down on the bed.

"I um... I need to tell you something." Jeffey frowned as he looked down at her.

"What?" He asked again.

"You know... Sophie was pregnant..."

"Yea." Jeffey said slowly. "So?"

"Well, then she got an abortion."

"Avery," Jeffey sighed. "What're you trying to say?"

"You see, when she told Jimmy it was a week after and he was all upset and he was crying and he didn't want the guys to know."

"All right." Jeffey said shaking his head. "Avery-"

"We all went out drinking and like always I was stuck with taking care of Jimmy so when we got back t our room we got to talking and I told him how I wanted to help him and how I wish none of that shit happened to him and then we just kind of made out for a few minutes." She said it all at once, she need to take a deep breath. But now that she said it, she didn't feel any better. She felt worse. She could feel Jeffey staring at her with such disappointment. It hurt, but Avery didn't say anything, or look up at him. She kept her eyes down on the floor and her mouth shut. She could just imagine the things that were going through his mind. For one, he probably could never trust her again. He probably thought that she'd been making out with Jimmy longer than she said.

"You made out with Jimmy?" Jeffey asked. Avery sighed when she heard his saddened voice.

"Yes." She said running her fingers though her hair.

"Just that once?" Avery brought her hands up to her face to hide the fact that tears were slowly running down her face.

"Twice... actually." She said.

"Just two times?" Jeffey asked. "You sure it wasn't more?"

"I'm positive Jeffey." Avery said.

"And that's all you did, was kiss?"

"Yes." Avery said nodding. "That's all." She sighed. "I wanted to tell you before we got married. What we did was stupid, it didn't mean anything, and I understand if you're pissed-"

"I'm beyond pissed Avery." He said.

"I'm sorry, Jeffey." She said.

"I've got to go." He sighed. "I've got to go out for a while."

"No," Avery said. "I'll go. You stay."

"No. I want to go, Avery." He said standing up. "I need to go."

"All... all right." She sighed.