Status: Comments? Please?

The Haunting Shadows

THREE

I sat on top of my car, waiting for a car to pass. My feet dangled over the edge. I didn't like this road, the forest was on either side of it, standing tall and strong like a huge stone wall protecting an ancient city from invasion. I turned on my Ipod, and I began to listen to Gary Jules- Mad World.

About halfway through the song, I thought I heard something rustle in the bushes, so I pulled the headphones out of my ears and turned my head so I could see into the forest behind me. I waited for a minute, then I sighed with relief when I saw nothing. Suddenly, something jumped out of the bushes, startled, I fell off my car. I yelled out in pain when I slammed to the ground, I tried to pull myself up, but I was too sore. Luckily my head had smashed onto my arm, and not the road. I wish I could say the same for my arm though, I was sure it was bruised badly. The bushes rustled again, then I saw something that made me want to cross my arms in anger.

"Russel! Get out of the bushes!" I shouted. I heard a sigh, then Russel walked out of the bushes, "You startled me!"

"Sorry, you must admit it was funn- what happened to you?" he noticed me lying on the road. About time.

"The road is fascinating," I muttered sarcastically. He brushed some of his red hair out of his dark brown eyes. Then he began to laugh, only just realizing that he made me fall off the car.

"The roof of the car is fascinating more like!" he laughed at the hilarious hilarity of the situation, I glared invisible daggers at him.

"Are you going to help me up, or are you going to wait until I get run over by a car?" I asked him, annoyed. He merely sat down. Great. Of all the people that came along, it had to be him. Russel loved scaring people, probably more than healthy, he also loved annoying people and throwing toilet paper at everyone.

"Why can't you help yourself up?"
"Because, in case you haven't noticed, I fell off a car! I landed on the road, and have possibly fractured my arm!"
"Why were you on your car in the first place?"
"Because I ran out of fuel," I admitted.
"I can drive you home," he offered.
"No thanks, I can walk,"
"You need me to help you up, but you can walk home by yourself?"
"Yup,"
"There's dangerous animals around here,"
"Like you?"
"No, real ones, ones that kill people," I shivered.
"Fine," I mumbled, "Where's your car?"

Russel's car looked like a tin can. A rusted, beaten-up, tin can, "Are you sure it's drive-able?" I asked worriedly.

"Hey! I payed for this baby myself!" he gasped, seemingly shocked.

"Sorry," I looked back on the conversation we had earlier, I did sound really mean. That meant that I had just apologized for more than teasing his car. Russel sat in the drivers seat, I shrugged, then climbed into the tin-can-car. I pulled the seatbelt over me, and was surprised when it actually clicked into the seatbuckle.

"So? Where do you live?" he asked me.

"Second star to the right, straight on 'til morning,"

"Your ability to quote Peter Pan shocks me," I laughed loudly. I hoped we would get to my home soon, the loud booming sound of the tin-can-car annoyed me almost as much as Russel did. Now, in some movies I had watched, this was the part where I felt a deep connection with him and fell in love. Luckily nothing like that happened- not at all.