Status: (: Complete :)

A Little Piece of Heaven

-06-

"How about Dr. Finklestein? He specializes in women's studies?" Alaina asked.

We were searching for a doctor.

I want to go right away and make sure I know everything that I'm supposed to be doing.

I want my baby to be as healthy as possible.

"Dr. Finklestein? He sounds like a fucking weirdo." Kat said.

I giggled as they all started arguing over the doctors' name.

"You guys are incredible." I said with a laugh.

"If we weren't weird, you wouldn't love us." Nique said.

I laughed again, because she is absolutely right.

"Let's get back to this. I want to set up an appointment for either today or tomorrow. I know Brian is going to want to be there so we have to try and find a slot where he will be free." I told them all.

We skimmed through the names of the doctors in our list from the health clinic.

"What about Dr. Raines?" Jaden suggested.

We all looked over at her.

"Graduated from medical school at the top of the class. Has been a registered OBGYN for the last ten years." Jaden said, looking over at us.

I tilted my head to the side.

"I know Brian wanted me to try and get a female doctor. Does it say if Dr. Raines is male or female?" I asked them.

They all started laughing.

"So typical. Why do men always want their girlfriends to have female doctors?" Alaina asked.

"Seriously. Odds are, that doctor has seen thousands of vaginas. And most of them look the same." Kat said.

I started to laugh uncontrollably.

"It's about principal." Brian said from the doorway of the bunks area.

I turned and looked at him with a small smile.

"She's my woman. I don't want anyone else seeing those part of her. It's for my eyes only." Brian said with a smirk as I started to blush.

The girls started laughing and Brian came over and kissed my forehead.

"Hows the doctor hunt going?" He asked me.

"We found one that has good records and positive feedback from patients." I told him.

He pushed my hair away from my face and kissed me gently.

He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and pulled me close.

I smiled and snuggled against his warm chest.

"So did you set up an appointment?" He asked me.

"No yet. I'm trying to accommodate you by getting a female doctor. But nothing on the page says which gender Dr. Raines is." I told him.

"So why don't you call in and ask?" He suggested.

"Duh!" Nique yelled.

"Why didn't we think of that!" Alaina exclaimed.

I started to laugh again as they scrambled around to find a phone.

They handed it to me and I listened to the dial tone as the phone rang.

"Thank you for calling The Wellness Clinic. This is Andrea, how may I help you?" She asked in a kind voice.

I smiled widely.

Her voice was so warm and instantly soothed me.

"Hi. I'm just calling to see if there are any appointments open for either today or tomorrow." I asked her.

"Let me check for you." She said gently.

"Thank you." I smiled.

Brian squeezed my hand and smiled when I looked up at him.

"Okay honey, it looks like we have an appointment open at 2:30 tomorrow afternoon." She said.

"That is perfect! Thank you so much." I exclaimed.

"You are more then welcome sugar. What was your first and last name?" Andrea asked.

"Cynthia Hamilton." I told her.

"And what sort of appointment are you going to need. Annual check up?" She asked me.

"No. I actually found out that I'm pregnant. I just want to check with a doctor and make sure everything is going okay so far. I'm not really sure how far along I am and I want to make sure I'm taking my prenatal vitamins and I'm doing everything I need to do." I told her.

"First pregnancy?" She asked me warmly.

"Yeah." I said softly.

"It's always nerve wracking the first time around. Then the excitement hits in. You'll be with Dr. Raines tomorrow and you'll get all the information you're going to need." Andrea said.

"Thank you." I said again.

"It's no problem honey. I'll see you tomorrow Cynthia." She said.

"Okay. Bye." I told her.

I hung up the phone and leaned back on Brian's chest with a small smile on my face.

"What happened?" He asked me.

"I have an appointment for tomorrow at 2:30." I said.

"That's great babe." He said.

I smiled and nodded my head.

"I get to go, right?" He asked me softly.

"Are you crazy? Of course you get to go. What kind of question is that?" I asked him, looking up at him.

"I was just wondering. Never mind. Forget I said anything." He said with a chuckle.

I rested my head against his and closed my eyes, suddenly feeling sleepy.

It was a few hours later that me and Brian were laying in his bunk and I couldn't fall asleep.

Brian rolled over onto his side with a sigh, turning so he was facing me.

"Okay babe. What's wrong?" He asked me.

I didn't speak for a moment.

He leaned forward and cupped my face in between his hands.

"Baby? Talk to me." He said softly.

"I'm just nervous." I told him.

"Of what? The appointment is gonna be fine." Brian said.

"I'm not nervous about that. What if, what if I'm a bad mother?" I asked him.

He grabbed my chin and made me look up at him.

"There's no possibility of that ever happening." He said.

"But if I am anything like my moth---," He didn't even let me finish.

"You could never be like that woman, Cynthia. You are kind, and gentle, and loving. You took me back when I didn't deserve to kiss the dirt on the ground that you walk on. You have patience, and sympathy, and you know how to fill people with encouragement and make them feel good about themselves. You erase any self doubts they may have and make them feel like they could have the world if that's what they wanted. You could never, ever be like that woman. Having gone through everything she put you through, only made you a stronger person. And you know the person you don't want to be. Our kid is gonna have so much love, and happiness and support, all of his friends are gonna be jealous cause they wish their moms were like you. You have absolutely nothing to worry about." Brian told me.

I looked up at him and tears were streaming down my face.

And people wonder why I love this man so much.

I buried my face in his neck and held him close as his hands soothingly rubbed my back.

"I love you." I murmured.

"I love you too. Now get some sleep. We have a big day tomorrow." Brian whispered.

I nodded and closed my eyes, letting the weariness take over as I fell asleep in the arms of the man that I love.