Status: Slowly Active

Melting a Heart of Ice

Goodbyes

Triina continued to cough water until none was left in her lungs. Everyone was gathered around her, watching with worried eyes as she straightened herself and stood with Aragorn’s help. “I’m all right. I’m all right,” she assured. “Then what happened?” Legolas asked, going to her side and taking her hands. The moment their eyes met she started to cry. If what the voices in that cave said was true, they would never live together. They would never have children, or see the day when they formed that sacred union. They would never have one another the way they had hoped just earlier than evening, “I’m sorry, Legolas, I’m so sorry,” she sobbed, trying to pull away from him, but he refused to let her go.

“Triina, come with me.” Gandalf ordered, gently pulling her from Legolas’ grasp and guiding her out the door and into the empty hallway. “Now tell me what happened.” He ordered softly, the same way an old man would order his distraught grandchild. With many breaks and tearful pauses, she retold everything she had gone through. By the time she had finished he was deep in thought about the event.

“Did they offer a name?” he asked finally. “None, only that he is in my father’s council.” She answered. “I have no knowledge of this prophecy… the Til’Arin do follow prophecies, however this is something Lord Elrond have known of… don’t dwell on it now, Triina.” He sighed, putting his hand on her shoulder. She quickly melted into his arms and cried harder, gripping his robes while shaking with each sob. “I don’t want to lose him, Gandalf, please help me… I can’t let him die!” she sobbed.

“Quiet, Triina, don’t worry him more than he already is for you. I do not think you will lose him, or the future you have planned. The others and I will speak with Théoden King about what happened to Pippin, I want you to stay here with Legolas and recover… if you see Eevalin again, tell her about this and ask her advice.”

“If the prophecy is true,”

“If the prophecy is true them we shall worry ourselves with another time. For no go and rest in the arms of the one you love. I have seen the difference having him near makes in you.” He interrupted and led her back into the room with the others. They all wanted to stay and ask questions, but followed Gandalf out, knowing that the business with Pippin was grave.

“Speak to me, my love.” Legolas pleaded in Elvish, “what troubles you?”

“I fear telling you.” She admitted. He sighed and walked up behind her, putting his arms around her and holding her so closely that she could feel his heartbeat against her back. “You have nothing to fear.” He promised, making her cling to his arms to hold him closer yet. “While I was meditating I was taken to Til’Arin, to what I can only guess to be a Cave of the Ancestors. They told me of a prophecy that says we cannot be wed. I am to marry one on my father’s council.” She explained, “If I remain at your side, we will both die. I do not know what to do.”

His silence deafened her as she shook within his grasp. Before long he was the only thing keeping her standing. “I don’t want to leave you, Legolas. I told them I would rather meet death than to give myself to another. But if staying means your death,” she cried softly.

He let her sink to the floor, moving so that he was crouched in front of her, holding both of her shaking hands and looking deep into her eyes. “Triina, I would gladly accept death tomorrow if it meant I could hold you one more night. If leaving is what you wish, then I will not stop you, but I will never end my love for you. Just know that as long as I live you will forever have that.” He said firmly but with a gently loving, and fearful expression.

“But that is just the thing! I do not want to leave you! Ever! I want to live forever at your side, and have and raise your children. The thought of surrendering that is heartbreaking to me.” She explained.

“Then do not leave. Stay, and let us see what our fate will become. For you, my love, I do not fear death.”

If it weren’t for his hands on hers, and his eyes looking into her very soul, she would have said no; she would have left to save him. However, she knew that she couldn’t live without him. With another sob she fell into him, letting his arms find their way around her once more. “Does this mean you are staying?” he asked hopefully. She couldn’t vocally answer, so she simply nodded against his chest and let him hold her tighter.

The rest of the Fellowship walked in and stood silently as he started to sing to her yet again. They didn’t want to disturb them after seeing the way she held onto him silently as he soothed her. “He’s a lucky elf to have won the heart of such a woman.” Gimli commented as they quietly made themselves comfortable away from the lovers. “We are all lucky to have won her heart, though he of course has been given the greater share. There was a time on this journey when she would not have spoken to any of us so freely, nor would she have become such a close friend.” Gandalf nodded. “Well I for one am glad she’s gotten to know us. She’s a good friend to have.” Pippin nodded.

“Legolas, you won’t regret this choice, will you?” she asked quietly after his song had ended. “Of course not! How could I regret choosing to spend the rest of my life with the woman who holds my heart in her hands?” he answered, pressing his lips lightly to the side of her head.

“We should be going. Breakfast is being served and your men will be expecting to see you there.” Aragorn announced, not really wanting to interrupt them, but being left with little choice. “Would it be so terrible for me to stay here? I’m not sure I can handle so many emotions at once.” She sighed. “They would be worried about you, and Aedán would come searching for you, thinking you to be deathly ill.” Gandalf answered. She sighed again and let Legolas help her to her feet before fixing her hair and wiping the tears from her face.

In the main hall, all of the Til’Arin were seated at their own table, playing more with the water in their cups than they were drinking it. King Théoden was watching with an amused expression as they began having fighting matches between small soldiers made of ice. “Usually it’s the small children who play with their drinks.” Gandalf sighed. “Is it? I saw Triina doing that the other night.” Aragorn smirked. “It’s the small children who get into trouble for it. It’s the older children, like myself and those soldiers over there, who use it ‘for training’.” She laughed as they went to sit with her men.

“Good morning, Lady Triina.” Aedán smiled as they passed him. “Good morning, Aedán, how are you this morning?” she replied cheerfully, putting on a perfect act to cover her troubled thoughts. “I’m all right.” He sighed.

“What’s wrong?” she demanded.

“One of your men called me ‘The Little Warrior’ and it stuck. Now everyone’s been calling me that, it’s like I don’t even have a name! And none of them think I should be here.”

“First, let me explain to you that to them little also means young. Also, Til’Arin children are very sheltered from violence, the innocent minds are kept innocent in short. They are probably all struggling to accept that children were put on the frontlines in Helms Deep. You have impressed them, obviously, because they called you a warrior. They wouldn’t have given you that title if they didn’t respect you.

“Don’t be insulted by it, Aedán, consider it an honor.” She smiled. “But, I will speak with them and have them call you by your name, if you would like.”

“Thank you, Lady Triina.” He smiled as she and the Fellowship walked to the Til’Arin table. Just as they neared their seats, many of Théoden and Èomer’s men stood shouting and drew their weapons. Triina spun around and started to laugh after seeing Eevalin standing on a table in the center of the commotion, smiling ear to ear. “You should know by now that I mean no harm to you!” she laughed lightly.

“She has taken a strong love to startling these men.” Lelir sighed as he appeared beside Aragorn. “What is it you want?” Théoden demanded, almost irritated with her appearance. “Do not demand things form me, Théoden King, I take no orders from Men. Nor do I obey Elves, Dwarves, Til’Arin, Halflings, Fae, or any other beings outside the Spirits of higher rank than myself. In short, I have no obligations to follow the demands of the living.” She replied sharply before disappearing, and reappearing on the Til’Arin table.

“Sillis Triina, your men are needed in their home. Dark happenings are taking place, which threaten your rule. Another name is fighting to claim the throne for it’s own.” She announced. “I cannot lead them there, I have obligations here.” She replied worriedly.

“They know their way home, and I can assist them where needed. There are other things I must speak with you about in private… it involves you and Legolas.”

Triina looked to Gandalf as if to ask for permission, and received a nodded answer before she had a chance to ask. “Good, come quickly now, we haven’t much time. Lelir, continue our business here please.” She nodded and disappeared. “Get your things, you’ll find her.” He nodded before turning his attention to the others. Triina understood the hint, and quickly led Legolas to the room they had spent the night in.

“Now please, what’s happening?” she asked quickly.

“I don’t know who is doing it, but there is someone assisting Sauron from within Til’Arin’s temples. Powerful magic, being used to aid powerful magic; there is no balance. Triina, they have altered the memories of our ancestors, to change prophecies to prevent the true ones from coming true. They will do anything to stop you from taking the throne, even taking the life of the one you love to render you useless in all things from grief.”

“I was taken to a Cave of the Ancestors while meditating not long ago.” She muttered softly.

“And what did they say?”

“That there was a prophecy that said if I stayed with Legolas, it would lead to both of our deaths. To save him, I had to leave him. To save my people I would have to marry a man from my father’s council.”

“That is the altered prophecy, but now I know who has done this. The name is unknown, but it is a dark, dark sorcerer, one who can change their appearance to be that of a man, or woman, or child. One who cursed Lelir and myself. Be weary of this, both of you.”

“Do you know the true prophecy?” Legolas asked hopefully.

Eevalin nodded with a smile. “The Til’Arin who’s heart is held by the Elf shall end darkness upon her people. The day of their union will bring light to all corners of their land, and so bringing a calm to the stormy waters surrounding them. He shall be upon her guiding Father’s council, and so shall they meet on the day they are needed.” She recited, “Every spirit knows this prophecy. But the sorcerer has done all he can to prevent the love between elves and Til’Arin. How do you think the laws were made during my life that we could not leave our city? He was in power then, until your family rose against him.” She explained. “Then what should we do?” Triina asked as Legolas’ arm wrapped around her waist. “Exactly what you’re doing now! Stay at one another’s side, and never part. After this war ends, when Sauron is defeated, you’ll take the throne of your people and the two of you will live your lives as planned.” She smiled.

Her smile was short lived though, as she started to fade away. “Sauron’s shadow is covering the gateways. I have to go, or Lelir and I will not be able to cross between worlds. Your mother sends her love and comfort, and Lyle gives his encouragement.” She nodded, and then was gone completely.

Legolas put his arms around Triina and held her protectively as the news that someone was now targeting her personally. “Legolas don’t worry. We’ll be all right.” She smiled as she placed a light kiss in his lips, letting it linger until he reacted. “I won’t let anything happen to you.” He promised. “I know.” She sighed happily, holding him closer so that she could feel his heart beat against her, knowing that she had made the right choice.

While they stood together, he took the time to explain to her everything that had happened with Pippin, and the glowing orb. He said that Sauron had seen him, and now thinks that he has the ring, but they were also given a glimpse of his plan, and where his forces would strike next. Gandalf was going to take him to warn Minas Tirith, and they would follow later to their aid.

Triina watched sadly as Merry followed the two out later that day to say goodbye, unsure if he would ever see his friend again. His pain was her pain, as was anyone else’s around her. “He’ll be all right.” Aragorn assured as he stood beside her. “I’ll hold you to that, Aragorn.” She sighed, and turned away. She bid her men and women farewell and watched as they too departed the city at high speeds, and retired to her bed for the night early, still burdened heavily by everything that had happened in the last few days.
♠ ♠ ♠
I cannot apologize enough for the wait on this chapter! Please, please forgive me!

I still have writer's block on this story, so it may be a while before I write another chapter, but stay with me! It will continue!

Eventually.

Feedback please? It honestly may help my block.