Sequel: Captain Diapers
Status: FIN! But read its sequel!

Caught In The Middle

Chapter 10

Standing here during this rehearsal was making me restless as the minister was going through the ceremony over and over again with Candace and Brayden. The decision of having another minister to officiate the wedding instead of Dad was a shocking one. But when your fiancée’s family is taking full reign of the wedding plans, you can’t say anything about it.

As much as I like Brayden, I felt this was all for show from his parents, a way to stick to their rich friends and to our family that they’re superior. I love my sister, but ever since she got engaged, she was becoming like his family, like her status is more important than anything. After all, she is getting her dream wedding. We haven’t talked except for a few gestures to each other. Skylar has been counting how long will we apologize before the wedding tomorrow. I’ve thought of giving the Maid of Honor duties to her because I don’t think I can go through giving a speech in her honor.

The thought of this wedding made me think about a couple of years ago at Phoebe’s wedding, when it was very simple and not about the spectacle.

*May 2009*

I’m sitting at the pew of my father’s church, seeing the volunteers cleaning up. Phoebe and her husband had tied the knot earlier today. As her co-Maid of Honor, I should be back at the church hall, having a great time but I couldn’t help of think of how beautiful the wedding turned out. Phoebe and Lance may only be 21 years old and about to enter their final year of college, but they love each other and were willing to make this big leap together.

“Mind if I join you?” TJ called out from behind and we approached my pew and sat next to me. “I thought you would be enjoying your friend’s wedding.”

“I am. I just wanted to stay here for a moment.” I look down at my dress and bouquet. It’s a robin’s egg blue tea dress with a white flower detail on the waist area. My flowers contain some roses and orchids, matching the floral arrangement inside the church. “You know I’ve always wanted to get married here. We all have our own wedding ideas. Candace always dreamed about getting married on Mackinac Island in Michigan. Whenever we go on our family road trip, we would stop by there for a couple of days. Skylar wants a wedding in the mountains or something that involves snow. I just want to get married here. This has always been my home away from home.”

“It will happen one day, Mally.”

“However, I would have the reception at my parents’ backyard. I don’t like the church hall at all.” We laughed for a moment before changing the subject. “I couldn’t tell him. He was too busy talking to Patrick Kane about Patrick’s latest dating fail and whatnot. I just clam up and decided to not say anything to him. It’s for the best right now. He’s very busy living the life of a 21 year old, who is making more money that I’ll ever make in a lifetime. Next to him, I’m just a country bumpkin.”

“Don’t say that. Have faith.” He grabbed my hand and squeezed it. “Besides if you and Jonathan don’t work things out, there is someone special out there for you. Sometimes that person is under your nose.”

“Why are you such a good friend, Tim? You should be out there, having a great time. Be like every other 22 year old man out there.”

“Maybe I’m not just like every other 22 year old who wants to get into someone’s pants.” He whispered squeezed my hand one more time while he took off his glasses. TJ usually wears contact lenses but not today. “By the way, you look beaut--”

“There you are guys!” Jonathan interrupted our conversation as TJ let go my hand. Johnny sat beside me and wrapped his arm around me. “You missed it, Mal. Candace caught the bouquet and guess who got the garter?” Jonathan showed off the garter he caught at the reception. “It was very weird putting it on your sister’s leg. Your dad was giving me these dirty looks.”

“He hoped it was my leg.” I laughed as I messed up his hair.

“Johnny, you’re so dorky! But I love you anyway.” I gave him a kiss on his forehead, not realizing I had TJ sitting next to me.

“By the way, why are you out here?” He looked at us

“We’re just talking.” TJ gave a simple reply but moments before, it was anything but simple.


“Mallory!” Candace shouted at me as I snapped back to realize I was supposed to walk out with Brayden’s brother. I linked arms with him and started to walk back into the lobby of the hotel.

I was relaxing in the lobby, reading a magazine about high society crap when I saw my friends walking in. I ran over to them and give them a hug. I haven’t seen Phoebe since Easter but she looked like she was ready to pop. Her baby bump is so big that I have to give myself extra space for it. Justine was sporting a new look, her natural brown hair now included a parade of blonde highlights. I can finally enjoy myself and not think about a certain Hawk or Blue.

I invited them back at the cottage while their partners are enjoying themselves by the pool. It felt like the movie “Mamma Mia” when Donna’s friends arrived at the island on the eve of Donna’s daughter’s wedding. Only change Sophie to Candace, Sky to Brayden, and instead of three possible daddies, it’s two male friends.

“Are we going to watch ‘Mamma Mia’ now?” I wondered as I came up with the similarities to the movie. “And no I’m not going to start singing ‘The Winner Takes It All’ to Jonathan or TJ on some nearby lighthouse just like Meryl Streep did in the movie.”

“Wait, both are here?” Justine asked, spitting out her Mimosa. “Is Patrik here too?”

“Justine!”

“Sorry. Had to ask. Jose doesn’t know about that.”

“Well where are they? I wanna say hi.” Phoebe was struggling to get off the chair as Justine and I got up and helped her. “After all, this is a perfect chance to try to ask Jonathan if it’s okay with him to name our child after him.”

“Name? You’re planning to name your child Jonathan?” I asked, feeling like I’m in a bad remake of an ABBA-based musical.

“Lance and I made a deal during last year’s playoffs about our first born. Since he won the Conn Smythe, it’s Jonathan if it’s a boy and Bryanna if it’s a girl.” Phoebe waddled towards the stairs. “Now let’s go because I want to say hi.”

“I don’t know where they are. They could be golfing for what I know.”

“It’s a small island. We’ll find them! Maybe Patrick Kane came along. Always thought he was cute.” Justine took her drink with her.

“Justine!” I shouted as my two friends began to burst into song.
♠ ♠ ♠
I can't help putting a Mamma Mia reference in this story! I'll probably update a new chapter tomorrow.

New Characters
Lance Pohl (Phoebe's husband)
Jose Torres (Justine's boyfriend)

Stuff
Phoebe's wedding and Candace's rehearsal.
Church
Phoebe and Justine's little song