Sequel: Captain Diapers
Status: FIN! But read its sequel!

Caught In The Middle

Chapter 9

As I was watching Dad and Skylar enjoy their sweets, I was texting Justine to see when she’ll be here. She, along with her boyfriend Jose, a very pregnant Phoebe and her husband Lance, decided to carpool their way from Minneapolis to Mackinac Island. Both my best friends decided to attend UM after graduation before visit during holidays and summer vacation. During her second year, Phoebe met her husband and the rest is history. Meanwhile, Justine met her boyfriend several months ago and is going strong. However, I still couldn’t get over her having sex with a hockey player, let alone someone in the NHL. She’s usually a Christian rock band groupie.

“When are they coming in?” Skylar asked, still eating her fudge loaf.

“They’re stopping at some motel along the route for the night.” I put my phone down and lay on the couch. “They should be here by tomorrow afternoon.”

“Sorry about what happened earlier between you and Candy.” Skylar jumped on the couch, crushing my legs. “You know Dad isn’t upset with TJ because you went to Europe.”

“It’s not that. It’s the fact that she made it seem like I didn’t care.”

“I did notice something today when you guys were talking and I couldn’t help but wonder. Do you have feelings for Teej?”

“We’re friends. That’s all we are to each other.”

“It’s the way he looks at you after you and Johnny came back from lunch spoke volumes. Plus the way you defended him at the spa.” Skylar finally put my legs on her lap. “Then again I never had been in love.”

“You will one day, sis.”

“Candace is right about the whole ‘bro code’ thing, especially with Jonathan being in the picture. Dad’s waiting for the day when Jonathan is a member of our family.”

“We haven’t been together for since I was 19.”

“But what about that trip to Chicago a couple of years ago with Justine? I thought you’ve made progress.” Progress? More like a setback.

*March 2009 in Chicago*

The late March breeze in Chicago wasn’t as cold as I thought. I’ve been in Chicago for a few hours and I’m already enjoying the weather. Then again, anything is better than cold in North Dakota. I decided not to wear my pea coat and go out in this hot pink dress I bought this afternoon at Forever 21 and my white sweater.

I thought about what TJ told me the night before in St. Louis. It’s been a couple of years and we’ve grown as our own person. Maybe it is time to try again. Everyone expects it, so why not give in. Speaking of TJ, he was a perfect gentleman. He eventually decided to sleep on the floor, letting me have the bed to myself. He even decided to drive Justine and I to the train station.

I walked into The Gage, hoping to see Jonathan around. When I saw him on his phone, I gave him a wave before walking towards the table. He looked great in his charcoal suit and hunter green tie, seeing how he changed in the past couple of years. In Chicago, he’s this young but sophisticated man, making it big in a promising team but in North Dakota, he’s ever the dorky boy I fell in love with when I was 17.

“I thought you weren’t going to show up.” He whispered in my ear as I gave him a hug.

We enjoyed each other’s company during dinner, just like old times. He talked about his brother David joining the Sioux in the Fall, how his team was doing, and his teammate Patrick Kane. However, every few minutes, he would get a call from his cell phone. He would constantly talk to Patrick over every little thing. It was beginning to be annoying. I was beginning to wonder if this was a mistake or was I overacting.

When we’ve made it to my hotel, we stood there for a moment, afraid what the other might say. Maybe I should tell him what was on my mind all day.

“I have a great time tonight, Mal.” Johnny held my hand as I look at him. “I’m so happy you finally made the trip to Chicago. Too bad you gotta leave tomorrow.”

“It’s alright, Johnny.” I look down at our hands and I still felt a spark between us. It wasn’t as powerful as the moment we met but it was there. “Besides, we have Phoebe’s wedding in a couple of months away. We can see each other more there.”

“Yeah that’ll be fun.” I was waiting for him to give me a sign but instead I stood there, not sure if kissing him would be right. So I gave him a hug before waving goodbye. I knew I’ve made the right decision by walking away, even though everyone else will think I’m nuts.


I walked over to the pool area, needing to get away from the family. My grandparents made it to the island as was able to spend time with them before having time for myself. Candace and I didn’t say a word to each other since the incident at the spa, knowing this wasn’t the place to apologize.

When I reached the seats, I hoped to see TJ there, but instead I found Jonathan sitting by the Jacuzzi. It’s funny that I’ve started the day with him and now ending the day with him.

“Mind if I join in?” I sat on the top pavement as I let the warm water soak my knees and feet. Jonathan grabbed his Bud Light and took a sip of it. “I thought you were sleeping or working out.”

“No. I was just thinking about something I never told you.” Johnny placed his drink on the side and continued to look down. “When my friend asked me to join him on that double date, I only agreed because I had a crush on Candace.”

“Really?”

“Come on. Look at her. Anyway, I’m glad it didn’t turn out that way because I end up meeting you instead.” He placed his head on my shoulder, being very comfortable with me. “You know I love you but I also have something to tell you. Please don’t get mad.”

“Mad? Jonathan, in the years I’ve known you, have you ever made me mad?” I smiled as Jonathan lift up his head and looked at me. As he was about to open his mouth, one of the security guards flashed his light and told us to get out of the pool area since it was closed. As we got out, he grabbed my hand to help me up. Johnny’s been nothing but kind and sweet about everything. But why would he say that I’m going to be upset about what he’s going to tell me. “So what is it?”

“You know what?” He paused for a moment before wrapping his arm around me. “It can wait.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So Johnny admits of having a crush on Candace but what else is he hiding? And why Patrick's such a bugaboo? It's been a crazy several hours but hopefully things will work out. I never thought in a week I'll have 125 readers. Give some love and thanks again for your support!

Stuff
Dinner with Johnny
The Gage