Sequel: Captain Diapers
Status: FIN! But read its sequel!

Caught In The Middle

Chapter 5

A warm breeze blew onto the island as Skylar and I walk down the cement steps to the pool. After spending some time talking to TJ, I was able to get some sleep. I know Teej just as long as I knew Jonathan and it seems he knows how to cheer me up, even when I’m stressed out.

When we made to the pool area, I was surprised to see not many people are out here at this time of the day. We found a couple of chairs in the shade to relax before jumping into the pool. Candace was too busy chatting with the future in-laws to join us. Plus she said she doesn’t want to get sunburn before the big day on Sunday. I was reading my book when I saw a familiar body climbing out of the pool. I’ve seen Jonathan shirtless plenty of times while we were together but it never seems to amaze me how amazing his body is. He told me he worked very hard to be toned, even as a child. But something about his toned body covered in water makes me think of stuff a minster’s daughter shouldn’t be doing, let alone think about.

“Early swim?” I asked, hiding my excitement with my book.

“It’s a nice day out.” He just stood there, not bothering to dry himself with a towel. His soaked navy blue swim trunks hugged his lower half of his body. When we were together, I would tease him about his big butt, even though he claims he doesn’t have a big ass. His wet swim trunks aren’t helping his claim. “Just thought I should take a dip after my workout at the gym.”

“Johnny, it’s late-July.” Skylar said, putting her Blackberry away. “Relax.”

“I can’t relax. I always have to be ready for training camp.” Johnny grabbed one of the chairs and sat with us. “So how’s your hockey team, Skye?”

“Great. I had a few scouts checking me out a few months ago. Hopefully, I’ll get a scholarship to go to Minnesota.”

“Gopher, eh? I thought you’re going to stay home and be a Sioux.”

“She hasn’t told Dad yet, Johnny.” I interrupted their hockey talk and put my book away. “So where’s Teej?”

“Probably waking up and grabbing some breakfast somewhere.” Johnny lay on his chair, letting the sun hit his very toned and sun kissed body. “I even noticed a smile on his face when I woke up. Haven’t seen that in a long time. So I was wondering if you’re not busy today, we can take a walk or something.”

“Ooh Johnny’s asking you on a date.” Skylar’s acting immature as I hit her with my book. “Hey what was that for?”

“Yeah that’ll be fine. We can catch up.” I smiled as I passed a towel to Johnny. “Just in case you need it.”

“Thanks. So how about we meet in an hour or so at the lobby?” I nod as I saw a shadow approach us.

“Well Johnny, I’m glad to see you this early in the pool.” Dad walked over to Jonathan and shook his hand. “Trying to charm Mal?”

“Dad!” I shouted at him, knowing how he still likes him even after I broke up with him.

“Just making sure Johnny’s welcome, honey.” The two talked about hockey and his younger brother David when I realized I forgot my IPod at the cottage.

As I was climbing up the stairs, I thought about why I accepted Jonathan’s invitation to spend time with him. It’s already odd that Candace invited him to the wedding but for my family to treat him like he’s family even after I broke up with him, I don’t know what to think anymore. I do love Jonathan and probably always will but I’m not 100 percent sure if I’m in love with him. The last thing I need is my family pushing me to be back with him when I’m still trying to figure it out. Even at Mom’s funeral, they were tried to push me to be with him.

When I look up the top of the stairs, I see my rosy cheeked, backward hat wearing friend walking down the stairs. I guess TJ caught on that Jonathan went swimming and he wants to come along. His body’s just as tone as Jonathan’s but has a hint of softness to him. Maybe it’s from drinking beer or not having a 6-pack but he does have a toned body. He just appears more human than Jonathan.

“Mally, the pool is that way.” TJ point me to the direction to the pool as I gave him a hug. “Did you sleep well?”

“Yeah I did. Remind me not to watch romantic dramas before going to sleep.” We shared a laugh before continuing. “By the looks of it, so did you.”

“You should know me by now, Mally.” He brushed a piece of my blonde hair and placed it behind my ear. “Talking to you before going to sleep leaves me in a good mood.”

“Oh really? I thought you got tired of me talking about all my bad dates and my snoring when I’m sick and whatnot.”

“Still in a good mood.” TJ’s head looked down as I was wondering if I’m ever going to go up the stairs and grab my IPod. “So I was wondering, Mallory… are you busy later? I heard there’s a fudge shop in town that I want to check out and I know you love chocolate--”

“Actually, I promise to meet up with Jonathan in an hour or so.” The look of TJ’s face looks dejected. As much as I love spending time with TJ, I’m not backing out on Jonathan.

“Guess it’s for the best. We can save it for another time. Besides, I hope you two work things out.” TJ walked passed by me as he continues to head down the stairs.

“We can spend some time later.” I shouted as he stopped and turn around. “I have to take care of a couple of things but I’m free after that.”

“We’ll see. By the way, from one friend to another… you look amazing in that.”

“You’ve seen me in a bathing suit before.”

“In a one-piece, but not in a bikini. Trust me, Tazer’s a lucky guy.” TJ turned around and walked down to the pool, leaving me stunned by his comment.

I look into the mirror, making sure I look my best to meet up with Jonathan at the lobby. Since I’m sure it’s only lunch, I wore a cute summer top and shorts. My blonde hair is twisted and clipped, my earrings and lip gloss are on. I have to remind myself that this is just spending time with a friend, even though this friend is your ex.

I arrived at the lobby 15 minutes later to see Jonathan, already waiting on the couch. His red polo shirt and khaki shorts covered his toned body while his brown hair is neatly combed. I walked over to him to give him a kiss on the cheek before we walked out the door. On the way out, I see TJ walking back into the hotel, soaked from his swim at the pool. He gave a quick smile of approval as I follow Jonathan to where we were heading to. However, I couldn’t help but look back to see him, still surprised by his complement.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's raining men... hallelujah it's raining men! AMEN! Sorry but can't help but sing along to that when I wrote this chapter. I'm taking a break this weekend from posting more chapters so leave some comments (so many readers and subscribers yet only a few comments?) on what should happen next. :) I never thought I would enjoy doing a Tazer/TJ fic!

Stuff
Pool side at the Grand Hotel
Pool and Lunch with Tazer
Shirtless Jonathan
Shirtless TJ