Sequel: Captain Diapers
Status: FIN! But read its sequel!

Caught In The Middle

Chapter 7

“Okay, I have all my bridesmaids here; I need to treat all of you with some fun this afternoon.” Candace was pacing around the living room of the cottage, glad that we were here.

“If you’re saying we’re going to watch ‘Mamma Mia’ one more time--” Skylar wondered as she went to the fridge to grab a bottle of water.

“Better than ‘Mamma Mia’, Skye.” Candace paused for a moment before continuing. “We’re going to the spa!”

“You dragged us back here just to tell us that?” I was annoyed because I could’ve used this time to spend time with TJ or not rush back with Jonathan.

“Well I need my sisters be here so we can go together. Besides, it’s not just manicures and pedicures.” Candace grabbed her tote bag and headed to the door. “Let’s go. We can’t be late.” Skylar and I looked at each other and laughed before following Queen Bridezilla to the door.

Within 20 minutes, my sisters and I were wrapped in seaweed and mud. The most we’ve ever done at a spa was a manicure and pedicure. Guess this comes with marrying with a guy with money. I know this was supposed to make your skin soft but I felt like a weak caterpillar with this mud on me.

“This is ridiculous!” Skylar shouted beside me. We’re unable to see each other since the cucumber was covering our eyes. “I feel like a plant!”

“Hey this is fun.” Candace, always the optimist, said. “I mean this is probably our last bonding moment until I’m married.”

“By being covered in mud?” I laughed as I remember all these times when we were kids, doing makeovers and painting each other’s nails. “Too bad I don’t have a camera to take a picture of this.”

“Yeah I remember the last time we did something crazy like this. Remember we went to Denver for the Frozen Four?” Candace reminded me that crazy few days we’ve spent cheering for the Sioux on. It was also the first time Candace brought something up about Jonathan and TJ.

*April 2008*

As Skylar was jumping up and down the bed, I was painting Candace’s toes green to get into the spirit. For the second straight year, the Sioux made it to the Frozen Four. We’ve made it into a family trip since it was also Skylar’s 14th birthday that weekend. Mom, Dad, and Skylar had one room, while Candace and I rented a room for ourselves.

“You think the boys are going to win it this time?” Candace asked as she fanned her wet toes.

“Hope so. If they do, I bet Johnny’s going to regret leaving school for the Hawks.” I blow her toes as I thought what I just said about Jonathan. His NHL team missed the playoffs again but decided to go to the World Championships. It would’ve been cool to see him win the NCAA title with TJ.

“Speaking of which, how are things between you two?”

“We’re friends. Nothing more than that. Why did you ask?” At that moment, TJ came in to our surprise. Skylar jumped off the bed and gave him a hug. He went over to give Candace a hug and a kiss on my forehead. “I thought you were getting ready?”

“I am. I just stopped by to see if you’ve made it okay.” TJ sat on the other bed and grabbed an Oreo from the night table. “Besides, I came over to give Skylar something. Happy Birthday!” TJ gave Skylar his jersey to wear to the game. She couldn’t be happier to receive such a gift from him.

“There’s very sweet of you, Teej.” I told him as I giving him a smile. “Good luck with your game.”

“Thanks. Hope we can talk later.” TJ pet my head as he headed out the door. “Take care.” After he left, Candace gave me a funny look.

“You know, sis, it’s against the ‘Bro Code’.” Candace warned me as I applied a clear coat for her toes.

“‘Bro Code’?”

“You know that rule. ‘Bros over Hoes!’ He can’t date his friend’s ex. You should know that.”

“We’re not dating. We’re just friends.”

“Come on, sis. Look what happened to Joey, Pacey, and Dawson or Lucas, Peyton, and Brooke or Dylan, Brenda, and Kelly. Always in the end, someone ends up hurt.”

“Candace, we’re just friends. Besides, I think you’ve been watching too much SoapNet.”

“Can’t help it. But come on, Mallory. If you wanted to be with someone, why not give Johnny another chance? He’s so perfect for you.”

“And really cute.” Skylar added, still hugging her new jersey. “However, TJ’s cute too but not as handsome as Jonathan.”

“Can we please enjoy the game tonight?” I laughed as I started to fan her toes. “After all he’s going to St. Louis in the Fall.”

“Fine. I’ll drop it. But remember, ‘Bros over Hoes!’”


After they scrubbed all that mud off of us, we’ve had our nails and toes done. As we were letting the air conditioner dry our nails and toes, I thought about what made her say that and how would she feel now. I know she invited Johnny but wasn’t expecting TJ to come along.

“You know that doesn’t change anything.” Candace sighed as she relaxed on her chair. “He’s still Jonathan’s friend.”

“How many more times are you going to say that?” I was beginning to get annoyed that after everything that had happened the few years in between that she would feel the same way. “We’re just good friends.”

“Friends who happened to spend plenty of time together? Friends who would let the other crash for a couple of weeks just because they want to? Friends who spent every waking moment together in Europe just before Mom died?”

“Don’t use my trip to Europe for any excuse.”

“You know Dad was annoyed that TJ was there at the funeral.” Candace began to be emotional. “He probably feeling annoyed now that he’s here for the wedding.”

“Hey this is supposed to be a happy time.” Skylar tried to lighten the mood but it was too late. I was very upset that Candace would say that.

“It’s not his fault. Mom wanted me to go to Europe.” I got up and started to walk away, wet nails be damned. “Thanks for the nails.” As I started to walk away, tears began to stream down my face. Maybe I should’ve stayed home last summer. Maybe I should’ve taken Candace’s advice and went to Chicago for Jonathan’s parade to work on getting back with him. All these things were in my head as I started to head back to the cottage.

“Mally? Mally, wait!” I heard TJ shouting from behind. I stopped to turn around to see him. “Hey are you okay? Did Candace do something?”

“I think you should go back home. It’s only for the best.” I started to walk away when he grabbed my shoulder, forcing me to turn around. “Please, Teej.” Without a word, he held me and let me cry on his shoulder. My brain is telling me to push him away and follow what I’ve said to him but my heart is telling me to let it out in his arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aww TJ just held her. Will he cheer her up? You know the deal! :)

Stuff
Before the game
Frozen Four Mania
A treat... Tazer and Teej at UND