There's No Turning Back

Wait It Out

I retrieved his keys that fell on the floor and ran to the car, throwing the door open. I knew about the hospital that they were planning to take him to, though it was a good fifteen minutes away. Starting the engine, I quickly backed out of the parking lot and drove back to where I had told Cheyenne to wait for me.

I honked the horn, signaling for them to come in. Once doing so, I sped off behind a trail of police cars that had passed by, following behind the ambulance. I prayed that everything would be okay as I got stuck at the street lights behind all the other cars.

"Call Sebastian." I told Cheyenne absentmindedly, my voice straining from letting any tears leak out of the corner of my eyes. My hands trembled as I held the cellular phone up close to my ears after she had dialed the number. I waited patiently as the tone on the other line rang, driving carefully when the lights finally turned green.

"Yes m'dear?" I heard Sebastian greet me on the other line.

"Sebastian," I said softly to knock him out of his immature mood and tell him that it was a serious matter of problem, "I need you to meet me at the hospital right away --"

"Wait, what? What happened?" he rushed out. I heard some commotion on the other end of the line.

"Just..." I paused, scanning my brain for exactly what to tell him, "Just... something happened to David and I just need you and the rest of the guys to get there as quick as you can."

"What --"

"Seb, please. Just get there." I said shortly after interrupting him and hung up, easing the grip I had on the steering wheel as we approached another red light. "Damn you," I muttered underneath my breath, tapping my trembling fingers on the leather cover of the wheel impatiently.

"Let's go." I told Cheyenne and opened the car door, as she did the same. I stepped out and opened the back door, unbuckling Annie from her child booster/car seat. I held onto her hand and we trotted to the emergency doors, just barely catching a glimpse of the paramedics entering the elevator. It was too late to get on and follow them, seeing as how I don't even know what floor they're going to.

It's times like these where I wish I had powers to see into the future.

So I ran to see the lady at the front desk, hoping that she would know, "Excuse me ma'am," I called her politely and she looked up from the piece of paper she was writing on, "Do you know what room David Desrosiers happen to be in? They just rushed him up the elevators."

She shook her head at me solemnly and I felt my heart drop in disappointment, "But the emergency rooms are on level thirteen if you'd like to sit in the hallways there." she offered kindly and I released a sigh of relief. I thanked her and grabbed Annie's tiny hand, walking over to the elevator where Cheyenne was already holding it open for us.

"What number do I press?" I heard Annie ask as I pulled out my cell phone to text Sebastian the number of the floor to go to.

"Thirteen." Cheyenne spoke softly. I watched as Annie made the button labeled '13' light up and the numbers on the top increase as we neared the floor. The elevator 'ding-ed' and the doors slid open, revealing a white hallway. Stepping out of the elevator, I looked around; doctors and nurses rushed in and out but I noticed that there didnt seem to be much of other people from the outside, hanging around.

Cheyenne walked over to an empty row of chairs and sat down with her arms crossed over her chest, wiping away at the salty tears that had long evaporated off of her cheeks. I sat down next to her with Annie in my lap, ignoring the many whispers and cries of other people around us. I held onto Annie around the waist and laid my chin on her shoulder, staring off into space while I waited patiently for anyone to come out of the rooms.

The silence inside my head seemed to have lasted for an eternity before any real thoughts had flown into my head. What would happen if David doesn't make it out alive? What would happen to Simple Plan? They'll surely be angry with me - after all, this is all my fault. If I hadn't pulled him into my problems, then none of this would have ever happened.

Surely, this is no time for such pessimistic thoughts...

"Lianne!" a voice called, shaking me out of my thoughts. Annie wriggled out of my grasp and fled in the direction to my right, screaming and shouting, crying. I looked up and saw the guys rushing over with their girlfriends clinging onto them fearfully. Chuck reached out for Annie and she went to him, leaving Sebastian to come running over to me.

I gasped as I felt the impact of him against me, and the tears began to fall as I wrapped my arms around his neck, burying my head into his shoulder. He lightly spun me around once and set me back down on my feet. He held me as we stood there in the middle of the hallway with our friends surr0unding us. I felt him lightly stroke my hair, trying to hush me as I sobbed into his striped polo shirt.

"What happened?" I heard -what sounded like Shelby- quietly asked. I sniffled and looked up, wiping away at my eyes as I looked around me. Everyone held solemn expressions; some were looking down at the white tile floors, other was looking at me intently - the girls, with teary eyes.

I shook my head and sat down on a nearby seat, burying my face into the palm of my hands. I kept on shaking my head to myself, trying to calm down. I wasn't trying to make it a big deal as all eyes were on me - that everything was all about me; but I couldn't seem to bring myself to tell them what had happened to him.

"Daddy took me and Chey from mommy and David when we was in the mall," Annie spoke up innocently. Everyone lifted their gazes up to her, including me, and we stared, waiting to see if she was going to continue on. Sebastian sat down next to me and rubbed my back, his attention still fixed on the little girl as she continued on;

"And then he hugged Chey with a gun up to her head," she shrunk back into Chuck, uncomfortable with all the intent stares on her, "And him and mommy fought. Then David jumped on him from the sky and told mommy, me and Chey to run away. And then we all heard a loud 'bang' in the sky when we were talking to the police."

I shifted my eyes down to Patrick's red shoes that stood in front of me, feeling my eyes slightly puffy and red from all the tears. I sat in the uncomfortable silence as everyone around whispered, feeling ashamed that I had let a little five year old tell such a story instead of me, myself.

"Where's Bud now?" Sebastian whispered in my ear, causing me to look up to his eye level.

"He was arrested when I got back there; I don't know how long he'll be in prison though," I replied, resting my chin in my palms, my elbows on my knees. Silence fell upon us as we all wished for the best.

Someone cleared their throat before us and we all looked up, "May I ask you why you're here?" a young doctor in white questioned us politely, stuffing his hands inside his coat pockets.

"We're waiting for someone." Pierre answered.

"Who are you waiting for?"

"David Desrosiers."

"Oh," the doctor's face fell as he looked down at the clipboard in his left hand. He cleared his throat once again, his eyes shooting around until they landed on me, "We did our best but there was a slight mishap..." he trailed off and my heart sank. This night could not have gotten any worse.