Older Then Time, Loving Forever

Cold Flames

You were all sitting in Alphonse and Edward’s room. Winry was cleaning Alphonse’s as you sat on the end of the bed Edward was laying on. “When you look close, you’re all scratched up aren’t you? You’re having a rough time of it huh?” Winry spoke, Alphonse just laughed a little, “So, what have you got planned now?” Winry looked over to you and Edward, you bowed your head down and Edward looked at his hand, “Well Ed?” Winry repeated.

“What are we going to do?” Edward spoke.

You sighed to yourself and crossed your legs on the bed, “What do you think?” Edward asked Winry; she looked back shocked as Edward looked at her, “What’s with the face?” Edward asked, “I’m just surprised, you’ve never asked for my advice before,” Winry explained, “Oh,” Edward spoke. Winry looked back at Alphonse and put her hand on the back of his armor, “I’m scared you know. You, Al and Rea have been off somewhere fighting and digging up information. Information that could get you killed like Mr. Hughes. Whenever I think about that it terrifies me. I mean you could die and I’d still be here and you’d just suddenly not be here any more, like my mom and dad. It’s almost more then I can handle, thinking about that. Honestly, some times I wish you would give this whole thing up. I do want you to get your bodies back but I also want you to stay alive and safe. It’s just, I don’t know. Sorry, I’m not sure what I think you should do. I really don’t know,” Winry explained.

“Your sure being nice Winry,” Alphonse spoke, “Why do you sound so surprised? I’m always nice!” Winry complained and beaten Alphonse a few times as you smirked, “Hey stop it!” Alphonse complained as she hit him, you looked back at Edward and he smiled to himself. You nudged his foot and smiled at him, Edward returned the smile.

Later on you were looking out the window of Edwards room as he was reading through his book. Edward looked over to you, “Hey Rea, can you think of any connections between the homunculi and the stone yet?” Edward asked, “Huh? What? Oh sorry, I was in a daydream then,” you laughed nervously, Edward smirked and began to walk over to you, “What’s got you in a daydream? You always get transfixed on something,” Edward stood behind you looking out the window, “The stars, I guess instead of a daydream it was a star-dream,” you joked, Edward smiled at you, “Rea,” Edward stared deep into your eyes, “Edward? What’s up?” you looked at him, Edward looked away for a second and back at you, “If we knew for certain that we’d make you mortal again, what would you do?” Edward asked, you were a little taken back by the question but pondered for a moment, “Well… I’d live the rest of my life and make a family,” you explained and smiled to yourself, “I’d love to live in the countryside, I can picture it all, but not my families faces,” you hugged yourself with a calm look on your face, “What would you do? If you got your body back?” you asked, “Well… I haven’t really thought about it much,” Edward put his hand behind his head, “Well I guess I’ve had a lot of time to dream,” you looked out the window.

You looked back at Edward as you felt his hand pull you towards him bringing you into a hug, “Rea…” Edward whispered, you gripped onto his jacket and returned the embrace. You closed your eyes and rested your head on Edward’s shoulder, at that point you realized how grown up he had become. Edward was getting older, but you were still on your 15th year. You pushed Edward away, with tears at the corner of your eyes, “I can’t do this…” you spoke, “My heart has been broken so many times in my life, I can’t bare it to happen again,” you explained, Edward looked shocked.

“Rea-” “BROTHER!” Alphonse came crashing through the door and scared both of you out of your skin, “here…” Alphonse held a newspaper out as you leaned over the sofa trying to catch your breath. “Don’t scare me like that,” Edward looked at his brother, “The newspaper Ed, read the front page,” Alphonse ushered the newspaper onto Edward. “What is it now?” Edward taken the paper read over it and a second later you saw a look of horror mixed wit shock. “What? 2nd Lieutenant Maria Ross convicted of Brigadier General Hughes’ Murder!” Edward read out loud, “You’ve got to be kidding me?” you walked over and looked at the paper yourself, “Maria… she wouldn’t… her heart is too kind… to kill anyone!” you explained to the boys.

You all walked out and down the corridor, “I can’t believe this,” Alphonse spoke, “Well don’t,” you snapped, “Maybe the Colonel and the Major will know something about this,” Edward explained, “what about Winry?” Alphonse asked, “We’ll explain it to her later,” Edward replied.

You made your way down the streets heading towards the military.

You walked down an alley and saw Lieutenant Ross with a man in armor. “Lieutenant Ross?” you all spoke, “Edward, Alphonse, Reaka? What are you three doing here?” Maria asked. A moment later Alphonse and the other armored man pointed to each other, “Oh! You’re that guy!” they both yelled, you looked at Al confused, “And Ling too!” Alphonse added, you looked behind the others and saw Ling. “Hey guys, what are you up to?” Ling asked, “I could ask the same of you!” Edward yelled, “Quit chattering!” the armored man yelled, “We don’t have time for this!” the man attacked you guys as you all moved out of the way.

“Alright sweetheart, take that back alley and run straight to the warehouse district, the darkness ought to hide you,” the man spoke to Maria, “Wait, hold on! Tell us about Hughes!” Edward called, “Get going! If the MP’s see you they’ll shoot you!” the other man yelled, “Lieutenant Ross!” Edward called, “Stay back!” the man spoke, “No wait! Lieutenant Ross!” Alphonse called.

Moments later an explosion happened in the distance, “What was that?” Edward asked, “Looks like they got her,” the man spoke; you legged it and ran as fast as you could.

No! Please, I don’t want someone else to die before I do! Please Maria, be ok! You thought.

You got to the scene and saw a burnt body on the floor, you glared at Roy, “hey there, Fullmetal, Rea…” Roy turned around; you fell on your knees. “What happened here?” Edward clenched his fists, “What happened here Colonel?! Tell me!” Edward yelled.

You leaned against the wall and looked at the burnt body on the floor and covered your face with your hands. “Why Colonel? Why did Hughes die? Why would 2nd Lieutenant Ross…? AND WHY DIDN’T YOU SAY ANYTHING!” Edward ran up to Roy and grabbed his collar; Roy punched Edward in the face as he fell to the floor. “You threaten a superior officer? You forger yourself Elric!” Roy snapped.

Edward ran at Roy, and then Alphonse grabbed Edward, stopping him from attacking the Colonel. “Edward don’t!” Alphonse spoke, “I’m going to tear you apart!” Edward yelled, “No I won’t let you!” Alphonse spoke, “This bastard just killed Ross!” Edward glared, “What?” Alphonse was shocked. “How could you do that Colonel?” Alphonse asked, “Lieutenant Ross was a criminal, our orders were shoot to kill, so I did.” Roy Explained, “That’s all you have to say!” Alphonse yelled, “About Hughes’ death, I apologize for hiding it. But you do not argue against orders, or ask for explanations. Just follow them. That’s what it means to be a soldier,” Roy explained.

By now you had sat in the corner and you were hugging your knees on the brink of tears, “I suggest you look after Reaka, she seems to be taking this worse then you two,” Roy spoke. Edward and Alphonse both looked at you, Edward’s expression softened when he saw you curled up on the side hugging your knees.

Edward sat next to you and put his arm around your shoulder after taking his jacket off and putting it on you. “Ed,” you grabbed onto Edward’s shirt and hid your face as other officers appeared on the scene. The whole time Edward was glaring intently at Roy, at the end, Roy noticed and seemed to brush it off.

You all went to the hospital, Alphonse had you holding onto his back as you started to go tired, “I’m sorry for not telling you sooner about Brigadier Hughes’ death,” Armstrong spoke, “It’s my fault,” Edward bowed his head down, “Don’t be so hard on yourself, his murder wasn’t your doing Edward,” Armstrong spoke. You pulled on Edward’s jacket as he looked up at you, “Don’t cry,” you rubbed your eyes adjusting to the light, Edward had a tiny smile appear on his face as you smiled back.

The doors opened and a man walked out, you looked at him sleepily, “Is everyone here then?” the man asked, “Dr. Knox,” Armstrong spoke.

“Her body was almost completely destroyed, but judging from what little dental work remained I was able to conclude that this is indeed Maria Ross. It’s an awful thing you did, turning a beauty like her into a pile of charcoal. You must of held quite a grudge against her, didn’t you Colonel? Is the vengeance as sweet as you imagined it,” Dr. Knox looked at Roy; but Roy looked away. “The famous hero of the Ishvalen war going this far against a little girl, makes me sick,” Dr. Knox walked away as you glared at Roy.

“Colonel, please allow me to apologize for one of my own officers actions. I could have never imagined that 2nd Lieutenant Ross would commit such a heynas murder. She was so straight forward and earnest, compassionate, a truly fine officer,” Armstrong then sat down on the chair next to him.

“Fatigue seems to be getting the best of you Major, perhaps you should take some leave. Back East where I was, it’s a nice place. Non of the big city noise, and lots of beautiful women,” Roy looked at Armstrong, you glared at him.

You all went back to the hotel and talked to Winry after. You heard the door knock and Edward went to answer it, “Yea, who is it? What do you?” Edward stopped short as you looked over the sofa and saw Armstrong punch Edward’s automail arm. “Edward!” you called as you ran out, “Major! What the hell did you do that for?!” Edward yelled, “You listen to me Edward Elric,” Armstrong picked Edward up and moved his automail a bit, “Hmm, this is no good, your automail seems to be broken,” Armstrong explained, “Oh ok,” Edward agreed. “Yes, this is a serious situation indeed! We’ll have to repair it at once. There’s no time to waste, allow me to escort you to Resembool for repairs!” Armstrong explained.

You ran over to Edward and glared at the Major, “What in gods name are you doing?” you asked, “And you Rea! Are coming too!” Armstrong looked at you at your level shocking you somewhat. “Erm… care to explain…” you spoke.

“What was that?” Winry asked, “You’re going back home to Resembool?” Alphonse asked, “I have no idea what he’s talking about Al,” Edward explained, “And you Alphonse Elric. You would stand out too much so you remain here in central,” Armstrong confronted Alphonse, “O-Ok,” Alphonse replied as Armstrong started to pull you and Edward away. “Right we need to make arrangements for transportation right away,” Armstrong explained.

“Cut it out Major, put us down,” Edward complained, Armstrong was carrying you both under his arms. “I’m afraid I can’t do that, these are my orders… from him,” Armstrong explained, you both looked at the Major in confusion then looked at each other and shrugged.