Status: A Brian Haner Jr Story. Active. Being Edited as I work on new chapters.

Scars

Chapter 14

Handing the customer her change, Stella thanked her for her custom and watched her leave the store before turning and heading back into her small back room to put the kettle on, to make yet another cup of tea.

Resting against the counter, she watched the kettle glow, changing colour as the water in it began to boil. As it began to glow red, the bell on the shop door rang, alerting her to a customer. Sighing she flicked off the kettle and made her way back to the front of the store, stopping in her tracks when she saw Cole stood at the counter.

“What the fuck do you want?” she asked taking another step forward.

“I thought you’d want these back.” He said holding up his keys to her house.

“About time too.” she said coldly, stepping forward to take them from him.

“It doesn’t have to be like this.” he said softly as he wrapped his hand over hers as she took the keys from him.

“Yes it does Cole. You made sure of that the moment you started fucking that slut.” She said in a low growl, pulling her hand away from him.

“That was a mist-“

“Don’t give me that bullshit! A three month affair isn’t a mistake Cole! Weekends away with her aren’t a mistake! You knew full well what you were doing.” She retorted angrily. “Now kindly fuck off out of my life and never come back.”

Lost for words, all Cole could do was nod before he turned and walked out of the store.

Letting out a long breath, Stella turned and walked back into the back room, placing the keys into her purse and proceeding to make herself a cup of tea, wishing that she kept a bottle of Jack Daniels in the store so that she could calm her nerves.

Tonya smiled as she pulled into the parking lot of the sports centre, amused at the fact that she seemingly was always able to park next to Brian.

She stepped out of her car and began to walk over to the centre, walking in through the large front doors, stopping as she saw Jake talking to a young girl. Holding back the urge to go over and embarrass her son, she turned and walked back outside to wait.

“I hope I’m not the reason you turned and left.” A familiar smooth voice caused her to turn to find Brian stood next to her.

“Of course not.” she said stepping forward and leaning up to kiss his thin lips. “Just wanted to give Jake some space with that girl is all.”

“He’s been trying to build up the courage to ask Sophia out for weeks.” Brian commented with a smile. “She’s a nice girl, you’ll like her.”

“You say that as if I’m going to disapprove of her without meeting her.” she replied as she motioned for them to make their way over to their cars.

Brian chuckled, “You’re his mom, you’re meant to disapprove of his girlfriends.”

“Fair point.” she replied. “But I’ll be nice.”

“So, how’s Stella doing? Is that fucker out of her life yet?” he asked.

Tonya sighed, leaning against her car, Brian coming to stand in front of her, their hands resting on each others hips. “She’s okay I guess. She’s trying to be brave, act like she doesn’t give a shit, but I know that deep down she’s heartbroken.”

“Matt was ready to beat the fucker when I told him what happened.” Brian said with a smirk.

“Him and me both.” She muttered causing Brian to chuckle.

“So are the two of you coming out for Johnny’s birthday tonight?” he asked.

“Hopefully yeah, Stella may need some persuading though.” She replied with a smile.

“I’m sure you’re up to the task.” He replied smiling as he leaned down and pressed his lips to hers. Closing her eyes she moaned into the kiss, pulling herself closer to him, deepening the kiss as her hands slipped up his back, to the nape of his neck where her fingers played with the short strands of dark hair.

“There are children present you know!”

Tonya and Brian quickly pulled away from each other, blushing like naughty teenagers at the sound of Jake’s voice. Laughing he continued his walk around to the passenger side of the car and got in.

“I’ll hopefully see you later.” Tonya said with an embarrassed smile, as she slowly made her way to the drivers’ side as Brian nodded and made his way to his car.

“So. When am I going to meet this Sophia girl then?” Tonya asked her chuckling son, glancing at him through the corner of her eyes, holding back a smirk.

“I um…how do you…I’m not…” he stuttered, his cheeks turning red.

“Oh, stop panicking! I’m joking. Now, if I can convince Stella to go out for a couple of hours for Johnny’s birthday, can I trust you to behave yourself?”

“Can I play Chinatown wars?” he asked quirking an eyebrow.

“So long as your homework’s done.” She said with a smile.

“Make sure you put your kit in the laundry hamper when you get in.” She said as she pulled up onto her drive way, next to Stella’s car.

“Yeah, yeah.” Jake replied walking up the driveway ahead of her.

Walking into the kitchen, she found Stella stood at the counter, preparing dinner, a large glass of white wine sat on the counter next to her.

“Hey Hun, good day?” Tonya asked grabbing a glass out of the cupboard and pouring herself a glass.

“Very much so, yes. I finally have my house back. That piece of scum is finally out of my life.” She said with a warm smile.

“Really? You have the keys back?” she asked.

“Most certainly do, so I can move back in the morning.” She replied. “So I thought that this would be a nice way to saying thank you for being there for me the past few days.”

Smiling, Tonya stepped forward to hug her friend, “There’s no need. And you know, if you really want to say thank-you you could come out with me and the others for Johnny’s birthday.”

“I don’t know…I don’t think I’m up for going out with everyone yet.” She replied.

“Oh come on!” she replied a smirk forming on her lips again. “Matt will be there.”

“Are you going to take no for an answer?” she asked, Tonya shaking her head. “Fine, I’ll come with.”

Leaning back into Brian’s embrace, Tonya watched as her cousin stood on a chair, a beer bong in his mouth as the others in the group cheered him on.

“He’s gonna pass out soon.” she commented as Brian’s arms slipped around her waist, pulling her back into his chest.

“I’m surprised he hasn’t already.” He replied as he placed a kiss onto the soft skin of her neck, beginning to rock them back and forth in time to the music. “Come dance with me.”

“I thought you’d never asked.” She replied as she took hold of his hand and led him over towards the small dance floor, passing Matt as he made his way over to Stella with two bottles of beer in his hand.

“Here.” He said passing her one as he sat down next to her.

“Thanks.” She replied with a smile.

“So, um, listen, Brian kinda let slip of what happened between you and Cole.” He said nervously. “I’m sorry.”

Stella looked up at him with a small smile, “Don’t be. It’s not your fault that he was a cheating asshole. And anyway, he’s out of my life now.”

“Good. I know what it’s like to be cheated on.” He told her.

“Really?” she replied with wide eyes. “Someone actually cheated on you?”
Matt nodded, “Yeah, my ex. I found out about six months ago now. I’d been with her since high school; I was ready to ask her to marry me. I had it all planned out and then I saw her with another guy. Found out that she’d been with him behind my back for a year.” He explained.

“Wow, that’s harsh.” She replied reaching over to run a caring hand over his muscular arm.
Matt shrugged his shoulders, “Yeah, but I guess it just wasn’t meant to be.”

“Suppose you have a point there.” she replied taking a sip of her beer.

“I know it’s going to take some time to get over him, but things will be better soon. You deserve so much better than that Stella.” Matt said as he gazed into her eyes, sincerity clear in his deep voice.

With a smile on her lips, she reached up and kissed his cheek, “Thanks Matt.”

“Anytime babe.” He replied feeling his cheeks flush slightly as they both took another long sip of beer.

“Wanna dance?” she asked suddenly placing her bottle on the table next to them.

Looking slightly surprised, Matt nodded, allowing Stella to take hold of his large hand and lead him out onto the dance floor.

“They actually make a cute looking couple.” Tonya mused as she watched Matt and Stella dance with each other. Brian glanced over his shoulder and nodded before drawing his attention back to the woman in his arms.

“Almost as cute as us.” He said with a grin as he kissed her neck.

“True.” She replied returning his smile as the song changed. “Come on, I don’t like this song.”

Brian took hold of her hand and followed her out of the bar to the balcony that overlooked the ocean. As she leaned up against the railing, he stood behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling himself closer to her, gently kissing her neck.

“Can we hide out here for the rest of the night?” she mused quietly.

“Sounds like a plan.” Brian replied tightening his arms around her.

They fell into a comfortable silence, both of them staring out at the dark ocean for a long while, both of them content with each others’ company.

“So this is where you’re both hiding.” The silence was broken by Jimmy as he appeared on the balcony with them.

“Just spending some quality time with my boyfriend James.” She replied, gasping quietly as she realised what she said.

“Boyfriend? You mean you actually got the balls to ask her to be official Haner?” Jimmy asked looking at Brian with a beaming smile.

“Well, um, no not yet.” He replied nervously as Tonya turned to look at him.

“Ooops!” Jimmy said with a grin, “Well, then I’ll leave you sort that one out.” he added turning with a wink and walking back into the bar.

“Um, so, yeah. Will you officially be my girl?” Brian asked, his cheeks flushing red as a grin appeared on Tonya’s lips as she leaned up to kiss him.

“Yeah I will.”
♠ ♠ ♠
The last bit of this wasn't supposed to be as soppy as it turned out, sorry guys.
T and Jennie, sorry about teasing you both, but there will be smut in the next chapter. ;)

Tonya
Stella

Comments? Thoughts?