Status: semi active

Would You Like To Make a Run For It?

Chapter four

stayed with Brock, Misty and Ash until about 12.30am, when I knew it was time to probably head back. I had no curfew, but I could tell they were tired and they probably had an early start in the morning. I exchanged numbers with all three of them, and I was happy as I skipped home. I had made three new friends to add to my contact list.

I checked my phone and saw it was a quarter to one before I stepped into the house. I was expecting to step into a dark house, mum would be in bed and I’d climb into bed. But no, I could see all the lights were on.

I got out my keys and opened the door. I took one step in, and saw two people in the living room. One was my mum; the other one was mum’s lover and boss, who was seated on an armchair opposite the couch.

“Um, hi?” I asked, a little confused about why he was still here.

“Lily, I think you should take a seat.” Mum said, patting the seat next to her.

“O…k…” I replied, and reluctantly sat next to Mum.

“Lily you’re almost 18 now. You’re nearly an adult, and I think it’s time you be treated like one.” Mum said harshly, automatically changing her tone.

“Huh?” I blinked, not understanding her sudden outburst.

“What your mother is trying to say is that we both believe it’s time for you to start a Pokémon journey.” Her boss piped up nervously.

“You, don’t you dare speak to me as if you’re my father. You’re not even my mother’s boyfriend, you’re nothing to me.” I spat at this man, who quickly backed off.

“Lily! Don’t speak to guests like that!” mum scolded.

“Considering you’re kicking me out, I can do whatever I like!” I protested angrily.

“I’m not kicking you out Lily. I’m just suggesting that you start your Pokémon journey.” Mum said defensively, putting her hands up.

“Oh ok. Thanks mum, but I must turn your suggestion down.” I said, using a sickly sweet voice.

“Lily this is non negotiable! I want you out of this house by tomorrow! You may return a month before school starts up again.” Mum said sternly.

I opened my mouth to protest, but her lover/boss cut in again.

“Look Lily, can I call you Lily?” He meekly asked.

“What else would you call me? That’s my name.” I snapped at him.

“Oh, right. Well Lily, I understand that starting an adult life is hard and that expenses can be quite overwhelming. So I’m prepared to give you a debit card. It will be reloaded with $500 every week, and I will load the card with $1000 to begin with to cover this week’s expenses as well as any start up expense you may have.” He said nervously.

I gave him a glare, and I gave Mum a glare.

“You’re both lucky I made some good friends tonight who invited me on their Pokémon journey. I turned them down, because I know I’m not emotionally and psychologically ready to handle a challenge thrown at me that I’ve been terrified and angry about my whole life. But I’m so glad I have a LOVELY mother who wants the best for her daughter.” I ranted to her.

“See honey? It’s not that bad!” mum beamed.

“No, it’s not. If I had to do this alone with just my untrained Eevee I would have paid Officer Jenny a visit to report my mother’s neglect of her child under 18. Then I would have gone to the Saffron times head office and informed them of Silph Co’s CEO and the junior ranked Mrs. Taylor hot steamy affair.” I barked at Mum.

“Oh stop being such a drama queen! Most Pokémon trainers begin their journey at 10.” Mum snapped at me.

“I’m not going to be a Pokémon trainer. I’m going for the travel and the journey. Now excuse me, I need to pack and then sleep. It’s a big day ahead of me tomorrow. Oh, and Mr. CEO, my card better have some money in it before 9am tomorrow. I’m going to need to buy supplies before I go.” I said, skipping off to bed.

***

The following morning I awoke at about 8.30am. I put all my small belongings into a plastic bag. All I took were my toiletries and just a few outfits I’d need to buy a backpacker’s backpack, a tent, some batteries and battery operated hairdryers and straighteners. Amongst my toiletries were my make-up and compact mirror. I of course took Eevee along with me, and dusted off my Pokédex and some spare Pokéballs. They may come in handy.

I bought what I needed in Saffron City, and that was all. I didn’t go on a shopping spree, as I wanted to ration my money for shopping in other towns we would come across. Who knows, something may come up unexpected as well.

I didn’t bother saying goodbye to mum. She was being a total cow, and I didn’t want to deal with her anymore. Instead I made my way over to the campsite where I left Ash, Misty and Brock.

I saw they had packed up their tents, but were sitting on the logs around the fire as Brock was cooking his meal.

“Hey guys.” I said, joining them on the log.

“Wow, you’re actually coming?” Misty asked and I nodded my head “I didn’t think you’d actually come.”

“You really could have fooled me.” Ash stated.

“Yeah well, sometimes life pulls us in other directions. My mum kicked me out of the house, and to be frank I’d rather tackle my psychological fear and what I’ve been avoiding my whole life and make my fear my passion, than have to stay with that bitch.” I huffed, folding my arms.

“Welcome to the club.” Brock said, opening his arms for a hug.

I hugged him back to mark the occasion, but he held onto the hug for too long and wouldn’t let me go. Misty whacked him over the head strongly, and he immediately let go.

“As annoying as that was, I think I’m going to enjoy having another girl to talk to.” Misty smirked.