Status: semi active

Would You Like To Make a Run For It?

Chapter six

It was later that night. I was in the tent with Misty, but unlike her I couldn’t sleep. I wasn’t very tired.

After shopping at the Celadon department store, we set up camp outside the city. We were next to a small lake, so Misty loudly suggested that I should try on my new bikini.

It was a warm night, and the travelling we had done today had made me sweat a little, so I thought there was no harm in going for a swim/wash. I got changed in the girl’s tent once it was set up, and nervously stepped out.

Ash, Misty and Brock were already having a dip in the lake. Pikachu was also swimming around Ash.

They all stopped what they were doing, and looked up when I walked out of the tent in my bikini. Misty and Brock’s actions were expected. Misty exclaimed I looked good, and gave me thumbs up. Brock jumped out of the lake and approached me, and began hitting on me once more.

But I kept my gaze mostly on Ash. He wouldn’t look at my face, but kept his eyes on my body. He had a huge blush on his face, and kept stammering his words when Misty tried to ask him to help keep Brock in line.

When I got into the lake and the water covered my body, he went back to normal.

But now, I was a bit wary of Ash and was staying clear from him. I sound a little stuck up and paranoid, but I had hints he was developing a crush. While at that moment he was only admiring my body, I could tell he was also trying to get closer to me emotionally too.

All throughout the day he was creating general conversation with me. I mean, Brock and Misty were too, but they were just creating conversation for the sake of creating conversation. No, Ash stood next to me the whole day, asking questions about me.

Then there was that whole agreeing to go to Celadon city only after I expressed interest. If that doesn’t scream ‘developing crush’ I don’t know what does.

So that’s why I was in my tent tossing and turning, and not outside. When it got late, Misty and Brock decided to go to sleep at the same time. Ash said he’d stay out and train his Pokémon, so I quickly said I’d go to bed as well.

Ash seemed nice, but I didn’t want him to develop a crush on me. That had only ended badly back home in Saffron city; I didn’t want it to affect my new found friendships now.

But here I was, at least an hour later, unable to sleep.

I sighed, and got out of bed. It was quiet outside, so I assumed Ash went to sleep. Maybe if I went for a walk I’d be able to sleep.

I was wrong. As soon as I exited the tent I saw Ash sitting next to the fire with his Pikachu.

“Hey, are you alright?” He asked, sounding concerned.

“Yeah. I’ve just never really slept outside in a tent, at least not for a long time.” I replied, taking a seat next to him.

“Oh yeah, I know what that’s like. You get used to it.” He weakly smiled.

Pikachu jumped from Ash’s side, and stuck his head in-between us. From there, he pointed to my belt.

“I think Pikachu wants to see your Pokémon.” Ash stated to me.

“Oh right. You guys haven’t met Eevee yet. I guess I should bring her out.” I smiled, grabbing her pokéball out of my belt and throwing it onto the ground.

Eevee popped up, gave a cute little noise and began to chat with Pikachu.

“How long have you had Eevee for?” Ash asked curiously.

“I’m 17 now, and I got her when I was 5. That makes it 12 years.” I answered.

“Wow. I got Pikachu at 10, so I’ve had him 8 years.” Ash smiled.

Hearing Pikachu’s name being called, his ears pricked. He then gave out a happy “Pika!” and jumped onto Ash’s lap. Ash began to massage Pikachu’s cheeks.

“You really do seem to love your Pikachu.” I commented.

“I sure do. He’s probably my best friend.” Ash grinned.

I smiled back, but stayed quiet for a while. I silently focused on Ash who was now rubbing Pikachu’s back.

“So, why do you train your Pokémon?” I asked after a while.

“I-wait, you said you had a thing against Pokémon trainers didn’t you?” Ash asked me, after studying my face.

“Um, yeah. Well, I had a thing against Pokémon journeys but look where I am now. It was only the abandoning thing that got me. So now I’m a lot more open to discuss reasons.” I nervously shifted, afraid of offending him.

“Well, the reason why I’m a Pokémon trainer is simple. I love Pokémon, and I want to be a Pokémon master.” Ash stated.

“You’re right, that is simple,” I giggled "But if you love Pokémon why allow them to get into battles and let them get hurt?”

“I don’t let my Pokémon get hurt, that’s the thing. It’s all about the strategy, rather than brute force. If I see my Pokémon are hurt badly, or even are about to get hurt badly I throw in the towel.” Ash admitted.

“Oh. But everyone I know always pushed their Pokémon to the limit and fought until their Pokémon fainted.” I stated.

“Yeah, you get a lot of people like that. A guy back from my town used to be like when he was a trainer. It was all about catching as many Pokémon as he could and being strong. Unlike Gary Oak, I prefer to bond with my Pokémon.” Ash declared.

“Who’s Gary Oak?” I asked him.

“Trust me Lily, you’re better off not knowing. Your quality of life would decline greatly if you were advised of Gary Oak.” Ash bitterly spat.