Status: semi active

Would You Like To Make a Run For It?

Chapter nine

“B-battle? She’s never battled before!” I frantically panicked.

“She’ll be fine. It’s just a small Krabby.” Gary replied, rolling his eyes.

“I don’t know any attacks! She’s going to diiiieeeee,” I wailed to Gary.

He began to snicker at the way I was overreacting. I focused my attention onto his snickering for a second, and then began to snicker too. I was acting pretty pathetically.

“Eevee is a normal type Pokémon. Just think of normal type moves. If you really badly need the help, I’ll help you.” Gary said to me, putting his arm on my shoulder.

I sent him a nod, as I quickly gave my attention back to the battle at hand.

“Um…Eevee use tackle attack!” I said loudly to Eevee.

“Eeee!” She replied, nodding her head at me.

Cool! She’s taking my orders. She’s never really taken many orders due to never battled before. This was weird, but I could feel a bond with my Eevee, a bond I have never felt before.

She charged towards the Krabby and immediately leaped onto the Krabby, crashing it to the ground. Due to Eevee being larger than Krabby, he took a real big blow.

“Uh…quick attack!” I quickly mentioned.

Eevee also quickly responded. She quickly ran towards the already fallen down Krabby, charging straight into it. The blow that Krabby took knocked it straight into the sea again.

Krabby did not emerge. It either fainted or retaliated, and was back in its natural habitat.

“Well done. That was impressive,” Gary congratulated me, nodding his head “However, usually somebody is ten when they have their first battle, not seventeen”

“So much for a good first impression.” I replied, rolling my eyes in annoyance.

“Babe, I’ve already made my first impression. Now I can do whatever I like.” Gary winked.

Gary’s arrogance was annoying, yes. I wasn’t going to lie on that one. But his arrogance was also transmitted joke, as if he was parodying himself. Not only that, but confidence was sexy on a guy. I was seriously attracted to him at this moment.

All I could really do was send out a flirty giggle in reply.

We then both fell silent. It wasn’t one of those ‘comfortable silences’ stupid girls say they feel with guys, but it wasn’t awkward.

It was a silence of deep thought.

Gary and I were just being silent, focusing on each other’s faces. It wasn’t a Hollywood style ‘near kiss’ moment or anything, we were just mesmerised by each other’s faces.

“You have really pretty eyes.” Gary smiled at me, not breaking eye contact.

“Thank you. You have nice hair.” I smiled back, not breaking the flirt or the eye contact.

Before Gary could reply, Eevee’s yaps were heard loudly. I whipped around, being scared the Krabby had come back to attack her or worse, bought some of it’s friends.

No, the sight we saw was even worse. Ash was approaching, and I could pinpoint the second he realised it was me with another guy; by the look on his face and the way his face quickly fell.

“Gary, Lily. You guys know each other?” Ash asked, looking completely dumbfounded.

“Well Ashy boy, the real question is why does such a beautiful girl like Lily even know who you are, let alone associate with the likes of you,” Gary sneered but then turned to me “You know Ash?”

“Yeah. He’s one of my friends I’m travelling with.” I replied, looking down and playing with my feet in complete lack of confidence.

It was obvious that however these two knew each other, it wasn’t friendly. Both were shooting daggers with their eyes at each other, and both seemed unimpressed that I knew the other.

“Exactly! Lily, this is Gary Oak.” Ash explained to me.

No duh, I think I know that…wait. He did speak about Gary about a week or so ago. He bought his name up, but refused to elaborate. I guess I just got the full story first hand though.

“I think she gets the point, not everybody is as slow as you. But I guess you’ve discussed me, Aaaash.” Gary teased, dragging out Ash’s name.

“No! Why would I ever bring YOUR name up! You’re not worth ANYTHNG! You don’t even exist to me!” Ash lied, losing his cool.

I noticed that he did that a lot. I guess Gary bought out the worst in him though, I’d never seen him get this angry.

“Whatever, Ashy boy. You’re just jealous that girls are more attracted to me, and not you. I can’t help it if Lily here chose me over you.” Gary smirked, and then chuckled.

It was I who was glaring at Gary this time. He was now going from the attractive confidence cocky, to just plain arrogant. He was acting like that Cole guy from home I always reject. Cole wasn’t confident; he just truly believed he was god’s gift to women.

This is what Gary was doing at the moment, and I didn’t like it.

Gary noticed my lack of enthusiasm over his statement, and dropped the arrogance. Whilst he didn’t apologise or take back what he said, or say anything in that matter it was all in the body language.

His smirk had dropped, he had uncrossed his arms to fall limply down his side and his posture went from stiff and straight to slouched.

Ash seemed pleased with my glares towards Gary, and calmed down with a smile on his face.

“Come on Lily, I told Brock and Misty we’d meet them at the ice cream shop. We shouldn’t associate with the likes of Gary Oak anymore.” Ash confidently said, grabbing my arm to lead me off.

“Bye Lily.” Gary called out, this time sounding nice and genuine rather than cocky.

I just meekly waved before I turned around to take my arm away from Ash to follow him back to the others.