Off the Wall

Chapter 5

After spending the last twenty minutes in front of the mirror, Charlie added one last spray of cologne before deciding that he was pleased with his appearance. Grabbing his keys phone, and wallet, he walked out of his apartment and locked it. Assuming that it would be a waste of time to take the elevator, Charlie decided to just take the few flight of stairs that connected the twelfth and thirteenth floor together. Running up the steps, he soon made is way to the door that had a large thirteen printed in bold. Opening the door, he walked out onto the hardwood floors and walked to his left. Walking past the various rooms, he finally found room 476. Self-consciously running a hand to straighten out the mess that was his hair, Charlie knocked on the door.

The door took a minute or two to open, but when it did Christie was standing there clad in her pajamas. Her hair was tasseled; it was blatant that she had just woke up. She yawned widely and wiped the sleep from her eyes.

“Urm,” Charlie started off awkwardly. “Is this a bad time.” Checking his phone, he looked and saw that it was ten minutes past eleven.

“Well obviously it isn’t the best time, but nah. It’s okay Charlie.”

“Can I come in?”

“Be my guest.”

Following Christie down the hall, he noticed that her apartment was a copy of his, just like every other complex in the building. “So how was your first night here?”

Plopping down on the couch, Christie curled up in a ball and Charlie sat in the empty seat. “It was great thanks to you. I would have never figured out how to assemble that bed. Even if it took me a week, I still wouldn’t have it fixed.”

“Ah don’t say that. I’m sure you would have figured it out.”

Christie grinned. “I doubt that. I can barely put wheels back on my board when they mess up.”

It was as if a switch had just popped in Charlie’s mind. “I forgot you skateboard!” He said excitedly.

“Smart one. But yeah, I’ve been skateboarding since elementary school, actually. Probably over fifteen years now, give or take a few,” Christie said proudly. “I love every minute of it. I wouldn’t trade it for the world.”

Charlie nodded his head. He knew exactly how she felt. “I know what you mean. Skateboarding is pretty much my life. I’ve been doing it since my first year of middle school and haven’t stopped yet, not that I plan to.”

Standing up, Christie stretched her arms and pulled at her pajamas. “If you don’t mind, I think I’m going to go and actually get dressed now.”

“Oh, don’t let me stop you.”

Christie graciously smiled and walked into her bedroom. Looking around, Charlie looked at some of the things that they had actually managed to set out yesterday. They put together a glass curio cabinet that held a vast amount of pictures. The large flat screen TV hung from the and Fuel TV was playing on it. Smiling, those were the moments when Charlie thanked Direct TV for being their satellite provider.

“I’m back,” Christie announced after only about two minutes.

Rolling his eyes, Charlie smirked. “I see you’re a Hurley girl.”

“Of course!” She said. She had a bright yellow Hurley shirt on, purple skinny jeans, and large black DC’s.

“Well at least you’re actually wearing clothes today,” he said teasingly.

Christie scoffed. “Well I thought you liked what I wore yesterday. I saw you checking me out quite a few times.”

Freezing, Charlie’s face turned the color of a red tomato. “Uhh.”

“That’s what I thought. Anyway, do you have anything planned today?”

Still mortified, he slowly shook his head. “I don’t think so.”

“Good!”

“Why?” He asked and shot her a quizzical look.

“Because, we’re spending the day together, kid.”