Status: Finished...

My Friend Jane

Five

“9-1-1 what’s your emergency?” The woman on the other line said.

“M-My friend s-s-she-“ I could barely speak my words were all jumbling together. “I can’t believe s-she did it.”

“Ma’am I need you to calm down take a deep breath and start over.” She instructed.

“My friend just killed herself and you want me to calm down?!” The words blurted out of my mouth.

Jane’s head hit the side of the bathtub and blood was dripping from her right temple. I was holding her in my shaking arms. Sobs erupted from my lips. My mind was flashing back to past events.

I could have helped her. I could have saved her. I could have stopped this all from happening. But, I didn’t because I was selfish and didn’t want to get involved in her personal life.

“Okay I’m tracking down where this call’s coming from. All I need now is both of your names.” Light taps could be heard on the other end. She was typing.

“My name’s H-Heather McHide and her name’s….” I trailed off.

More typing. “Keep going ma’am.”

“Jane Bount.” I cried out.

“Okay I need you to stay on the line with me Heather okay? The paramedics are on their way.” She sounded like a concerned mother.

I brushed some sticky hair out of my face. Snot had been pouring out of my nose and tears covered Jane’s face. “Why did God do this?” I asked her.

“Honey God didn’t do a thing. You have to have the most guts in the world to ever do that to yourself. You have to be insane. Something has to be eating you alive in order for you to make that choice.”

“Something was eating her and I didn’t help. I’m a horrible friend.” I proclaimed.

I grabbed her cold hand and laced our fingers together. She always did say that we would be friends past death. In Heaven we would stare at all the hot, shirtless angels.

“No you’re not sweetheart. No one can prevent this. For a time anyone could but to make it completely leave their mind is impossible. You have to make them a zombie before you could do that.” She said.

Sirens were faint outside my house. “They’re here. It’ll look like I killed her! But I didn’t.”

I quickly unwrapped the noose from her neck. “What are you doing Heather?”

“I don’t want God angry with me. If I go to jail he’ll turn his back on me.”

“Heather pull yourself together! God loves you and doesn’t want you dead too.” She said sternly.

I tightened it around my neck and looked in the mirror. There was a hard boom at the front door. They kicked themselves in.

This was the last thing heard of Heather McHide that night. She ended up taking her own life in the name of God. Her story lives on.

There is no proper education and no awareness of this serious disease. I believe suicide starts off as a disease you see. We should be taught to know the signs of self-harm. We should be taught not to freak out when a friend tells us that they hurt themselves.

End this taboo that we call emo.

Save a life.

End
♠ ♠ ♠
:D All done.