‹ Prequel: Bloody Memories
Sequel: Nightmare City

The Paris Escapade

Chapter 11 - Heart Attack in Black and White

I half-limped, half-marched into the steam filled bathroom and pounded on the frosted glass shower door. “Did you kidnap a little girl?” I shouted over the cacophony of running water.

Gabriel slid the door open and I turned my eyes to the tile work above his head. “Can this wait? I’m kind of busy right now. Do you know how hard it is to get graveyard dirt out of your hair?”

I wasn’t going to have him derail me. “Did you kidnap a little girl?” I shouted again.

“Yes mom, I kidnapped a little girl!” he sighed in exasperation and went back to scrubbing his hair.

I felt a light tap on my elbow and turned. The little girl, Nora, was standing at my side. Gabriel quickly shut the shower door. “A’re you angry?” she asked me in a small voice, her accent adding a whole other level to her precociousness.

Her eyes were so wide and worried, that I felt all of my indignation drain out of me. I covered my eyes with my hand and sighed heavily. “I’m not angry. Just really surprised.” I put a hand on her shoulder. “Let’s get out of here and talk for a minute.”

I pulled a chair over to the bed and sat down on it. Nora perched up on the comforter and folded her hands in her lap, giving me her undivided attention.

For a moment, I just stared at her, convinced that she was the loveliest child I had ever seen. Her golden hair was thick and fell straight down to her waist, where the ends curved up into heavy curls. Her bangs were similarly curled, and they bounced when she walked. Her eyelashes were thick, framing her golden eyes perfectly, making her eyes seem larger than they were. Her mouth was a quirk, small, but incredibly plump, giving her a perpetually pouty look.

The strap of her night gown slipped, exposing her shoulder. I got up and walked to my suitcase. She leaned against the bed, peering over the edge. "Vhat are you looking for?"

"Some clothes for you. You look too much like a victim wearing that." I pulled out a gray sweat shirt. "Put this on over your night gown."

I returned to my chair and braced my hands on my knees, trying to think of what to ask her first. I decided to start with the most urgent. “Are you hurt in any way?”

She shook her head, her curls bobbing. The sweat shirt was hilariously oversize don her. The ends of the sleeves fell over her hands, but she still folded them in her lap again. “I am perfectly fine. Ze trip up ze vall vas fun.”

It took me a moment to decipher her accent. “Was it?” I asked slowly. “I see...” I cleared my throat. “So, you said your name was Nora?”

“Oui, Nora Manigault.” She tilted her head to one side. “Vhat iz your name?”

“Uh, I’m Angie Stanton.” I answered as alarm bells went off in my head. “You’re a vampire, aren’t you?”

She pushed up one corner of her upper lip, her small pointed teeth gleamed. “Could you not tell?”

“It took me a moment, to be honest. You’re the cutest vampire I’ve ever seen.”

She ducked her head shyly. “You really zeenk zo?”

I nodded. “Absolutely. Much cuter than the last Nora I met.”

Her eyes sparkled, delight kindled in their depths. I was a little surprised. Had what I said really pleased her that much? “You a’re a ‘uman, correct?”

“Last time I checked.” I mimed checking my pulse. “Yep, still ticking.”

Nora hid a small smile with her hand. “I ‘ave never zeen a human before.” Her expression turned warm. “You smell very nice.”

I was sure she meant that to be a compliment, so I smiled. “Thank you.” I decided it was time to steer the conversation back on topic. “Were you taken here against your will? Are you going to be missed?”

Nora nodded. “I am only to be out for a little vhile, because I had never been outside before.” She interrupted herself by yawning, her eyelids drooped sleepily. “Gabriel zaid he vould take me back.”

“It will have to wait until tomorrow night.” Gabriel said behind me. “The sun will be up soon.”

I turned to look at him, my expression settling into a frown. He wore a pair of dark red pajama pants and a white T-shirt, and was drying his hair vigorously with a towel. I hadn’t even noticed the water cutting off.

I stared at him for a long moment, trying to decide where to begin. The list of things wrong with this situation was growing longer by the minute.

He looked back at me, and slowly stopped drying his hair. Mussed tangles fell over his eyes, but I could tell he was staring right back at me. The silence stretched between us, and I began to feel uncomfortable. “What?”

“So, did they give you a uniform, or is it just a loan?” he asked unexpectedly.

I blinked in surprise, looking down at my clothes. The pleated skirt had ridden up my legs a few inches; I pulled it back down self-consciously. “Kieran gave it to me.” I answered casually. “You didn’t notice I was wearing it before?”

“You were wearing those long boots earlier.” His gaze drifted down to my black-clad ankle.

I looked down at my ankle, making a face. “Ugh, yeah, at least the swelling has gone down. I should be able to fit back into them tomorrow.”

“Don’t bother, the flats look better on you.”

I looked up and blinked at him again. Was he joking around with me? But his expression was serious. In fact, he seemed to have forgotten about the towel in his hand, with was still half-covering his head. It was then that I realized what was going on here. Anger flared up in my stomach. “Stop trying to derail me. You kidnapped a little girl. A vampire, granted, but still a little girl.” My frown settled back into place.

Gabriel’s brows pushed together into his own frown. “She was being held prisoner, okay?” He tossed the towel aside. “I’m not some kind of pervert.”

“I didn’t say you were.”

“I can read it in your face.” He walked over to the closet and opened it. After rooting around for a few seconds, he took out a dark gray blanket and a pillow. “I don’t know what the Manigaults are planning for her, but it can’t be good. They have a family tree you wouldn’t believe and at least a dozen Noras on it.” He paused. “It’s disturbing, even for me.” He walked over to the side of the bed and dropped the pillow on the floor, then he began unfolding the blanket.

“What are you doing?” I asked in confusion.

“Were you planning on taking the floor?” he asked, gesturing at the bed.

I turned and found Nora lying curled up on the other side of the bed, already fast asleep. Gabriel put his hand on the back of my chair and slid it and me over easily. He spread the blanket out on the floor, then plopped down onto it.

I let out a heavy sigh, getting up and walking over to the light switch. “I guess it’s good morning, then.” I flipped off the light and made my way blindly back to the bed. I tripped over Gabriel in the dark, who grunted in annoyance. “Watch it.”

I caught myself on the bed and climbed up onto it. “You could have taken the other side of the bed.” I grumbled. “Gabriel?”

“What?”

“You’re going to cause a lot of trouble by bringing her here, aren’t you?”

“I couldn’t just leave her there.” he said defensively. “Look, I’m tired. I don’t want to talk about this right now.” I heard a shuffling sound as he turned to his side.

His outward health had improved since he had fed on Montblanc in the cemetery, but I knew that the demons inside of him were still consuming him alive. I reached one hand out into the dark for him, but then pulled back. “She’s not your Nora.” I told him softly.

His voice was tight when he answered. “I am aware of that.”

“If you say so.” I turned away from him, pulling one arm under my pillow. I didn’t sleep for a while. My eyes adjusted to the darkness, my ears deafened by the silence. Little Nora turned over, facing me. She sighed in her sleep, her hands clutched to her chest, her legs curled up protectively.

I had met a Nora once, Gabriel’s wife. She had taken the form of a child as well. I had seen her in action, and she was more powerful than any vampire I had met. She had nearly killed Callie right in my own kitchen.

In that last fight, she had lost her mind completely. She was so consumed by jealousy and hate that she had tried to rip Gabriel apart with her bare hands, ignoring her other, more impressive, powers.

This little Nora lying across from me looked so innocent, yet I wondered what kind of power was coiled up in her small form. What was she capable of, and would the weight of it eventually collapse her mind as well?

She looked so vulnerable, so lonely, that my heart went out to her. I put a hand on her shoulder, though I wasn’t sure what comfort it would be to the sleeping girl.

Eyes still shut, she reached out and grasped the front of my shirt. The next second she had buried her forehead in my chest. I let my arm fall over her, holding her loosely. I stayed like this till I drifted off to sleep.

********

I opened my eyes and the room was dark; a pale knife of moonlight from the curtain slicing through the darkness. The space on the bed next to me was empty. I sat up, knowing deep down that something was wrong. I could not place what though.

My eyes turned to the floor by the bed. There was nothing there. Why did I think there would be something?

I turned to the shadow sitting at the end of my bed. It was familiar and I knew that I was dreaming. Deep red eyes surveyed me from the darkness. This time I could make out messy black hair. “Gabriel.” I said softly. “Why are you like this?”

The figure did not answer. He brought his legs up and crawled across the bedspread towards me. He leaned in close, till I could feel his breath on my lips.

********

I awoke with a start, my eyes popping open as I sprang up into a sitting position.

The dark figure was gone, Gabriel lay on the floor beside the bed, sleeping like the dead. It had all been a dream. Again.

I let myself fall back onto my pillow, exhaling in one big whoosh. I covered my eyes with one hand while I waited for my heart rate to slow back down to human speeds. I turned to Nora, hoping my outburst hadn't disturbed her.

The bed next to me was empty.

I shot up again, looking all around for the little vampire. She wasn't in the room. I crawled out of bed and checked the bathroom. She wasn't there, either.

I hurried over to Gabriel, kneeling on the floor next to him. "Gabriel, wake up." I said urgently, shaking his shoulder.

He didn't respond, looking for all the world like a fresh corpse. I shoved his shoulder harder. "Come on, get up!" I shoved his shoulder and his side, till his whole body rocked back and forth. "Nora's missing!"

That got him up. He shot up to a sitting position, then got to his feet. "Let's go." he said, not looking at me.

No sleepyness, no eye rubbing, no yawning or stiff muscles. Just get up and go. Vampires had it made in the waking up department.

I followed him out the door. Gabriel took the lead, mentally sniffing Nora out. He led me downstairs one, two flights.

We found ourselves in a hallway decorated with large bulletin boards covered in tissue paper. Construction paper art projects were on display here. I felt my stomach drop seeing the overabundance of glitter and craft glue.

One door stood open, light streaming out into the hallway. We approached the door, listening carefully. A low murmur of talking and excited giggles reached our ears.

Gabriel frowned deeply and walked into the room, with me one step behind him.

We were in a room that would pass for my kindergarten classroom quite easily. The floor was covered in multi-colored throw rugs, and the walls were covered in bright, cheery drawings. The tables and chair were all low and small. Low shelves were filled with toys and books. There were sections, one with kitchen and cooking toys, another with stuffed animals. At one end of the room was a large round carpet with the ABCs circling the outer edge. In the center sat Nora, surrounded by a gaggle of young girls.

Nora was sitting cross-legged, a book open in her lap, reading aloud in French. Her voice had a soft, lilting quality that was utterly compelling. The group of about ten girls sitting around her all leaned in as they listened raptly.

One child, who couldn't have been older than three, sat in Nora's lap. She pointed at the pictures in the book as Nora read, babbling in French baby-speak.

As we walked over, Nora looked up. Her golden eyes sparkled when she saw us. “Gabriel, A’ngie, you’re awake.”

“You left the room without telling us.” Gabriel said darkly.

“I could not ‘elp it.” Nora said. “Zomething called me to thiz place.”

“Isn’t there an adult watching these kids?” I wondered aloud, looking around the room. I spotted Daisy sitting in a chair off to the side, smiling warmly.

She got up when I saw her and walked over. “It’s my turn to watch the little ones.” she explained. “I’m assumin’ that this one is yours?”

“I’ll explain in a bit.” I said in a low voice.

Nora leaned her head down till her nose just touched the little girl in her lap’s hair. “Everyone smells so nice down here. So familiar...”

Gabriel was standing over her the next second, a small white bottle in his hand. He was holding it out in front of Nora’s face. “When you are here, you drink this.” he told her.

Nora stared up at him fro a second, before taking the bottle. “Vhat iz it?” she asked. She cracked the seal open and twisted off the cap, then made a face. “It smells ‘orrible.” She made to hand it back, but Gabriel didn’t take it.

“When you are here, that is what you drink.” he said sternly. “If you feed from any of these girls, even just a little, you will be killed.”

The girls sitting around Gabriel and Nora looked at one another. They couldn’t understand what was being said, but then knew that story time was over, so they got up and drifted to the different parts of the room. The girl in Nora’s lap was still pointing at parts of the book and babbling to herself.

Nora’s expression turned to confusion. “Feed?” She looked down at the girl in her lap, then back up at Gabriel. “I vouldn’t ‘urt any of theze girlz."

Gabriel bent his knees, resting on the balls of his feet, so that he could be eye to eye with Nora. "Perhaps not directly, but you've been fed child's blood. That's why they smell familiar to you, and why you are in the form of a child now."

"What's going on?" Daisy whispered to me, her voice gaining a worried edge.

"Nora is a vampire." I whispered back.

Daisy's eyes widened. She looked back over at Nora. "There's no way. She looks so tiny."

"I believe I mentioned vampire children in Professor Barnes' class yesterday. I highly suspect Nora to be one." I said. “And even though she’s a vampire, I don’t think she could harm anyone.”

“I will admit that she doesn’t look like she could hurt a fly, but papillons use influence to make them look less suspicious, right?”

“While that is true, she had ample opportunity to attack, before you knew she was a vampire, and she chose to read bedtime stories.”

Daisy pinched her bottom lip worriedly. “That man who came in with you, he is a papillon as well, correct?”

I nodded. “That’s just Gabriel, he’s my vampire. I brought him with me from New York.”

Daisy’s eyebrows shot up into her hairline. “Your papillon?”

I felt my cheeks redden at the other implications my statement could take. “I mean I’m his caretaker. I don’t mean, uh, anything else.” I fidgeted uncomfortably.

Daisy’s expression turned serious. She placed her hands over mine, looking me right in the eyes. “I have to call Ms. Brun now, but before I do, I want to warn you. Papillons killed my grandfather, but I’ve never actually met one before today, so my view of them is somewhat second and third-hand. I can think about them more abstractly. But...” she paused and took a breath. “there are some girls here whose parents or loved ones were murdered right in front of their eyes. Knowing that papillons are actually allowed to move around in the school could be traumatic to them. I don’t think it would be wise to tell anyone else about Gabriel and Nora unless you have to.”

I nodded. “I’ll be careful. Ms. Brun has already been more than generous to us.” I said feelingly. “I really want to help the school Great Aunt Katrina founded, especially now that I’ve seen it and the girls here who have already been through so much. Gabriel has his own reason for being here, but he always keeps his word.”

Daisy gave me a sympathetic look. “I don’t think I’ve ever met someone who runs into trouble so readily.” She reached into her pocket and pulled out a cell phone. “I’m going to call Ms. Brun now.” She moved off to the side while she dialed.

I walked over to Gabriel and Nora. Nora’s lap was empty now, and she was grimacing. “Gabriel made that same face the first time he had to drink that blood.” I told her, avoiding mentioning it was pig’s blood.

She looked down into the empty bottle. “I don’t like it, but I’ll drink it. If it meanz that I get to remain ‘ere.”

“I told you I would take you back tonight.” Gabriel reminded her.

Her face fell, but she brightened almost immediately. “But I vill be able to come back again anozzer time, oui?”

“I can’t promise it will be anytime soon, but I do want to get you away from the Black Rose as soon as possible.”

Nora shook her head. “I cannot leave Father. He needs me very much. It iz enough for me to just visit.”

Gabriel started to object, but was interrupted by Ms Brun, who entered the room flanked by two students. The girls had loaded crossbows in their hands, but they were thankfully pointed at the floor.

Ms. Brun’s eyes widened when she saw Nora. She turned to me. “She looks so...”

“I know.” I said. “She’s not what you would expect from a bloodthirsty killing machine.”

Now it was Nora’s eyes that widened. “‘Killing Machine’? Vhat iz that?” She looked back and forth between me and Ms Brun, then she got to her feet and approached the Headmistress.

The girls raised their crossbows, but did not fire. Nora looked up at Ms. Brun. She was still wearing my sweatshirt and the sleeves slipped past her wrists, covering her hands. “Vous êtes Mme Brun?” she asked.

“Oui.” Ms. Brun answered with a small nod.

“Mon nom est Nora.” She held her hand out, sleeve drooping down. Ms. Brun hesitated, then reached out and clasped Nora’s hand briefly. “You ‘ave a beautiful school.” Nora switched to English. She smiled then, her first real smile since I met her last night, and it was like the sun coming out from behind storm clouds; nothing in the world looked more pure or sweet.

“Merci.” Ms. Brun said simply, at a loss for any other words. The girls at her sides lowered their crossbows.

One of the small girls ambushed Nora then, talking excitedly in French. She grabbed both of Nora’s hands and tugged her in the direction of the kitchen toys. Nora turned and followed obediently.

Ms. Brun let out a deep breath and turned to me. “Who... what, is she?” she asked in amazement.

“She’s just a lonely little girl.” Gabriel said quietly, his hands in his pajama pockets. “I was just showing her that there was a world outside of her nursery. I will be returning her to it shortly.”

The headmistress nodded. “See that you do. I do not want her presence causing any trouble for my students. In the mean time, I have a pressing matter for the two of you.” Her brow creased with worry. “Kieran has been missing since yesterday morning. Usually this is nothing unusual, but he does not answer his phone. I would like you two to go after him and make sure he is all right.”

“Do you know where he went?” I asked.

“He went on a reconnaissance mission, I can give you the address. If he’s anything like his father, he won’t hesitate to rush headlong into trouble.”

“I can understand your worry.” I said sympathetically. I pulled my cell phone out of my jeans pocket. “Put the address in my GPS and we’ll go right over. I just need some food first, or else I won’t be doing anyone any good.”

Ms. Brun nodded, taking my phone and typing at the keys. “I also have to bring Nora back to the Manigault tomb.” Gabriel said. “That should be done first.”

“All right.” I said. “You go bring Nora back. I’ll head over to where Kieran was supposed to go, and you can meet me after you drop her off.”

“The potential for danger will be extremely high.” he said simply.

“I’ll make sure I’m armed, and I won’t go rushing into things.” I promised.

He held his hand out to Ms. Brun, for my phone. She finished saving the address and handed it to him. He swiped through the menus, then entered a number, then he handed it back to me.

“Is this your number?” I asked in surprise.

“Only call it if things go beyond what you can handle.” he warned. “I don’t want you calling just to chat.”

I smiled at him in amusement. “I’ll be sure to use this responsibly.” I said, remembering the cemetery, when he told me that I was all that he had left. Having someone to argue and bicker with was better than being alone.

I turned and held my hand out to Nora. “It’s time to go.”

Nora skipped over to me, peering out from under a giant straw hat, decorated with paper flowers. She took my hand and swept the hat off of her head. She turned to the girls, speaking in French. The girls groaned collectively. She reassured them soothingly. One of the girls ran over, pressing something into Nora’s hand. She looked into her fist, then back at the girls. She smiled her sunny smile again. “Merci.”

The girls waved as we left. “I ‘ope I can come back zoon.” Nora said, her smile turning soft.

“I hope so, too.” I told her.