Crash and Burn

Frank

Today is the day. Today I am going to New York with the guys. I am trying to be excited about it, but I am worried. What if Lillie, my Lillie, is the photographer? What happens then? It has been almost a decade since I last saw her.

Sighing, I walk over to the closet, and stand on my toes to reach the top. On the top is a small box, hidden in the corner. In that box, is my life with Lillie.

I have never shown Danielle, and I never will. This was years ago. It’s not important anymore. For some reason though, I just have to look. I haven’t opened that box since I made it. Despite that, it has gone everywhere with me. Every time I have moved, I made sure it was moving with me. I can’t bring myself to leave it behind.

I take the box over to the bed and sit down. I’m tempted to put it back in the closet. If I put it back in the closet, I won’t have to deal with the feelings brought on by the contents.

My hand lingers on the lid, as I continue to debate the matter inside my head. I know what I have to do. I close my eyes, and gently pull the lid off. Before opening my eyes, I run my fingers over the contents. I feel photos, photos I know are of us.

I open my eyes slowly, and look down. The picture sitting on the top is of Lillie. I remember the day it was taken. We were at the park, after one of my then-band's shows. She was always supportive of my love of music, and came to every show she could.

She was wearing a necklace I had given her a month into our relationship. It was a little star, with a red stone in the middle. She loved the color red.

I don’t remember why she was so damn happy, but her smile was so big. It was beautiful; she always had the most beautiful smile.

I run my finger over the photo, and smile to myself. Placing the photo back in the box gently, I'm careful not to bend it. Another photo soon catches my eye. It is one that appears to have been taken the same night.

I am standing behind Lil, with my arms wrapped around her waist. Her smile is big in this one too. She looks gorgeous, just like in the other. As for myself, I look like an idiot.

I place the photo back in the box with the others, and decide to not look at anymore. It hurts too much.

Taking a deep breath, I walk back over to the closet, again standing on my toes to place the box back into the corner of the closet shelf.

Right as I shut the closet, I hear the front door close. I walk quickly back to my suitcase, and pretend I have been packing.

“Frank?”

“In here, Danielle.”

Danielle strolls in with Maddie, who is snoring lightly on her shoulder.

“Almost finished packing?”

I smile, “Yeah.”

She grins, and then sighs. “I'm glad this is the last interview. I am looking forward to the break before your big tour. I miss you.”

I smile, and walk over to her. “I miss you too.”

I plant a kiss on Danielle's forehead, then bend down and plant one on top of Maddie's head; taking in the adorable sight of our sleeping toddler.

“She looks worn out.”

Danielle looks down and smiles at our daughter. “Well, she played a lot at the park.”

I nod. “Did she have fun?”

“She always has fun. I’m glad we went when we did, because she fell asleep just in time for a nap. I’m going to go put her in her bed.”

I watch her carry Maddie out of the room, then turn and walk back to the suitcase. One day. Just one day until I discover if my suspicions are correct.