‹ Prequel: Dead Silence

Dead Wrong

A Late Night Visit

http://patdrydenforever21.deviantart.com/art/James-of-Dead-Wrong-179854255

James was still crying, but I mean, who's to blame him? His parents just died, he's in a strange house, and there are bad people looking for him. He had a right to be scared. I felt something inside of me I'd never felt before; I felt the need to protect this little boy. I saw what I was and slightly still am in him, and I wanted to protect that.

I lead James into the guest bedroom. It wasn't much, just a small bed with a quilt cover that Jack's great, great grandmother had made, and a small white dresser with matching bedside table. I could see James' eyes slowing drifting closed, before snapping back open again. The poor thing must be drained. He sat down on the bed. Jack was standing in the door frame.
"Come here" he instructed me. I walked over to him.
"So I guess we won't be doing anything fun tonight" he asked putting emphasis on "we" and "fun". I shook my head. How were we suppose to when there was a little boy in the house?
"That's fine" he said, sighing and pushing his hair back.
"So, are you coming to bed?"

I looked at him.
"Well…"
"You want to stay with James, don't you?"
"Well, I mean he's scared Jack"
"No, no I understand. But if you are, please for the love of god, go put on something else." he said pointing to my outfit. I went into Jack and my room over to the closet and swapped my red lingerie for a silk top and shorts.
"That's better. Just make sure he knows you're a guy"
"Jack, he's twelve"
"You're sixteen!"
"I guess"
"Okay sixteen, kiss me?" Jack said putting his hands on my waist.
"Of course" I said standing on my tip toes and kissing him sweetly on the lips.
"I love you" he said before walking into the master bedroom. I went back into where James was. He was still sitting at the edge of the bed.
"Mummy use to kiss daddy like that"
"Oh, I'm sorry you had to see that"
"I don't mind, I think it's sweet" he commented, his eyes looked almost purple in the dim lighting.
"Well I thought that…"
"Because you're both boys?"
"Umm, yeah"
"I don't mind" he stated again. I smiled.
"Are you staying with me tonight?"
"Yes, unless you'd rather be alone..." He grabbed my shirt and put his head against my chest.
"No! Please stay with me!" he cried.
"Don't worry I will" I cooed. I tucked him in before slipping under the covers myself. He scooted closer to me. He was still shaking a tad. I just didn't want him to be scared. I did what Jack would always do for me; I stroked his hair lightly and hummed softly to him. He buried his head into my chest and fell asleep.

I lay awake in the darkness for a while. James would occasionally mutter something in his sleep.
"Shhh, its okay" I would whisper to him. I soon fell asleep as well.

The next morning, I awoke to an empty bed.
"James?" I called his name looking around frantically. I got up and made my way over to the master bedroom. Jack was already gone. I ran down stairs, before stopping and taking a deep breath, when I saw both Jack and James sitting across from each other at the table. They were just sitting there having a staring contest. They both blindly took a bite of their cereal. Jack loved the sugary kiddy cereals like Lucky Charms. I entered the room looking at them both.
"Lilly, you're up!" James said, running over to me.
"Jack, it's 9:15. Why aren't you at work?"
"Got the day off" he said looking over to me. I sat down at the table with them.
"James, are you hungry?"
"Not really?" he said making a face. Jack looked like he hadn't gotten any sleep, and was practically glaring at the smaller boy.
"Jack, stop" I mouthed. He directed his glare at me and shook his head. Then muttered something that sounded like "cock-blocker" before leaving me with James. So immature.
"Lilly, I don't think Jack likes me"
"I think he's just tired"
"Oh" James said looking down.
"What's wrong?" I asked, lifting his chin up towards me.
"I miss my parents" he said turning away and covering his eyes.
"Come here" I said holding out my hands; he paced over to me and sat down on my lap, resting his head on my shoulder.
"It's ok" I said holding him tight.
"Lilly. Talk. Now."
"Hold on" I said getting up and dragging my feet over to where Jack was. Jack grabbed my wrist and pulled me out of James' sight. He pinned me up against the wall and kissed me with force. As much as I wanted him, I had to stop him.
"J-Jack stop" I muttered through the kiss before pushing him away. He looked at me funny.
"Sorry, Lilly. I'm just getting worried. What are we going to do?"
"About James?"
"No. Our pet goat. he said sarcastically.
"I don't know. We can't run the risk of him telling anyone where we were.
"I don't like him"
"Why?"
"Haven't you learned your lesson about strangers? Don't you remember him?" he said. I had told Jack to never mention his name again. The smug smirk on Jack's face made it seem as if he liked to see me in so much pain by the very mention of his name. The anger boiled inside me and before I could stop myself I smacked him hard, leaving a red hand print on his cheek.
"DON'T FUCKING TALK TO ME ABOUT HIM!" I screamed surprising myself at how loud and assertive I sounded.
"Fine. I'm going."
"Where?"
"Away from here" he said picking up his keys and heading for the door. I ran after him.
"Jack, don't you dare even think about leaving me!"
"You don't want to be with me, you don't talk to me, you don't want to kiss me. Why should I stay for another second with someone who doesn't LOVE ME!" I couldn't talk, I felt James tugging on my hand. Jack stood by the car hands shaking. I mouthed the words don't leave me.
"You're just being melodramatic are you still jealous!"
"Say it"
"Say what?"
"If you don't what then there's a problem" his eyes were no longer angry but sad. That little spark of hope was dying. I was killing it.
"I love you."
Jack closed his eyes.
"Come here" he said holding out a hand. I walked over towards him, leaving James by the door. Jack meet me half way and pulled me into a hug.
"I love you so much. I swear I'll do anything for you, and if you want to keep this kid, fine. I promise I'll work as hard as I can to make enough money to support us."
I was crying into his shoulder. "Just don't leave me..."
"I'm not going to" I felt a smaller set of arms around me. It was James, who had his arms around both me and Jack.
"Please don't fight anymore" he added.
"Let's go inside" Jack said. The three of us walked back in the house. Jack looked at us with confused eyes.
"What?"
"Well, I guess if you're going to be here then it's best we get to know one another" Jack said with a sigh. James's lips curved up into a smile.
"You mean I can stay?!"
"It would appear that way" Jack said mimicking his smile.
"First, let's start with who you are"
"Umm, my name is James Dean and I'm twelve years old. My mother and father are the only family I have." A tear slid down his porcelain face.
"Or rather, had." I put a hand on his small shoulder.
"We used to live around the outskirts of London, but we were on the run again. Daddy had said that bad people were after us again, and that they might know where we live, so we had to pack all that could fit in our car and drive. Mummy really wanted to stay and maybe fight them, but Daddy just shook his head and said that there was no way that we could face them and survive. I was so scared, and I felt so stupid for not knowing what was wrong I maybe little but I don't like being in the dark."
"Do you have any idea who was after you guys?"
"No, daddy refused to tell me. He said that if I knew, then they'd have no choice but to target me too. We lived in constant fear that we'd be found, even if I didn't know what I was running from I was still scared, and I kept running." his young face dropped. "And now they're dead and I'll never see them again. I just want to know that they're okay and that I love them but it's impossible now."
"I'm truly sorry." I said. I felt all the pain of the past few months flush back into my brain.
"Do you want to know what the last thing I said to them was?" The sides of his cheeks were stained with rivulets of tears. "I told them that I wished they weren't my parents. That it was their fault that I was in this and that I wished I could live in a normal family. They probably hated me for it." for a minute the only sound were the sobs of James.

Finally Jack spoke. "They loved you. That's why they were trying to protect you from what they did. James there was nothing you could ever say to them that change that, and they know you loved them. They know that you didn't mean that. People tend to say things they don't mean when they're upset. And further more, we tend to hurt those we love the most without realizing it all the time. So don't you dare think for a moment that they didn't love you!" Jack's speech brought tears to my own eyes. It was true we do hurt those we love the most. I'm living proof. I'd hurt Jack so many times, yet he kept coming back. He certainly didn't have to. He could have been done with me and never said another word to me, but he didn't. And he waited until I was no longer blind and realized how much I really loved him, and still do.

James broke the silence that engulfed the room again.
"Do you miss your parents Lilly?"
"Everyday" I said holding back tears. James looked up at the two of us and spoke again, his voice shaking a little. "The truth is that I've know who you were before we met. It was in the paper. You're the two boys who went missing, and that everyone thinks is dead. "
"Yes we are" Jack said, glancing at me.
"Why'd you run away?"
"It wasn't a choice, we had to." I said numbly.
"Do you ever wish that you'd stayed?"
"Of course we do, but then again... Like Lilly said, it wasn't an option. We had no other choice but to leave. Besides, there was nothing for us to stay for." Jack said.

The three of us just sat there. No one knew what to say or how to say it. Where should we go from here?
"Well I've got to go get some things" Jack said standing up. I looked up at him. His sparkle had returned. His hope wasn't dead, which meant there was still a chance that in this hell that we could be happy. And it was now apparent that our hell included James.