Their Violence, Your Silence.

Italian

He parked the car in front of a small cozy looking restaurant, Italian by the looks of it. Which was nice because I loved pizza. Of course I couldn’t very well eat pizza here with Caleb, I doubted he wanted to be seen with me or even pay for the food.

He was out and around the car opening my door before I’d even been able to undo my seat buckle. His face was serious again, a frown creasing his forehead. But he held out his hand for me as if he thought I needed help, or maybe just to be nice…

I grabbed it hesitantly as I stepped out of the car, still feeling nervous and now a little exposed in the short plaited skirt, blouse and apron. My coat was over it but I still felt under dressed as we walked through the slightly crowded street.

Caleb opened the door to the restaurant and ushered me in with a frown at the host. It was a young man, probably our age and he wore a pleasant smile. He looked me up and down once and then said: ‘Table for two?’

Caleb answered in a cold voice that made the guy swallow visibly. ‘Somewhere private.’ His arm was suddenly around my shoulder in what I could only call a possessive manner.

‘Follow me,’ was all the guy said as he led us further into the restaurant, a table for two in the back. It was secluded and quiet. At this time of the day the restaurant had hardly any visitors anyway though.

As we sat down Caleb pulled his chair sideways a little so he could watch the restaurant.

‘So what would you like to eat?’ he said as he pushed the menu over towards me.
One look at the menu told me this place was expensive, I’d never be able to afford anything here. Then again I didn’t even want to waste money on fast food…

I found the cheapest food item on the menu quickly, a salad of some sort and told Caleb that’s what I wanted and some water to drink. His green eyes bored into mine for a long time before he nodded once slowly.

Just then a waitress popped up beside our table, ‘Hello, are you ready to order?’ the woman asked. She was in her mid thirties and had a pleasant face and warm smile. The kind of person you could just imagine with lots of children and fresh cookies every day.

Caleb didn’t even look at her as he said: ‘One pepperoni pizza and two coke please.’ His eyes focused solely on me in a way that said: Dare! Dare defy me!

I swallowed but looked down at my hands in my lap. Pepperoni was my favorite… Had he known I’d just picked the cheapest thing? Or did he disagree with my choice?

We said nothing at all until the food arrived. Then he pushed the plate over to me and curtly ordered me to start eating. He’d started looking around the restaurant again, searching for familiar faces I guessed. He really didn’t want to be seen with me, that much was obvious.

My heart sunk to the pit my stomach, somehow after his words in the car I’d gotten my hopes up. Even though I’d told myself not too. I was being stupid, he might stop bullying me but he’d never want anything to do with me. Certainly not where others could see.

I was surprised myself when I finished the whole pizza and immediately felt ashamed. I’d just eaten the whole thing, he must think I’m a pig for eating so much. I knew I’d been really hungry, having missed out on breakfast as I usually did. He wouldn’t know that though.

Caleb said nothing however, he just nodded again and then paid with a fifty and told the waitress to keep the change. I caught myself staring at it just in time. His total disregard for money… I felt jealous.

A little helplessly I followed him out to his car. What was I supposed to do now? Was he still going to drive me home? Or should I offer to take the bus again? How should I thank him?’

When he opened the passengers door and waved for me to get in I didn’t hesitate though. I felt better as I sat down in the closed confinement of the car. The memory of this morning still fresh in my mind. The crowd on the street making me nervous.

‘Address?’ Caleb’s voice was stony, just like his face as his hand hovered over the GPS system.

I swallowed suddenly finding another reason I should take the bus. I didn’t want Caleb to see the derelict house I lived in. Didn’t want him to see the neighborhood even. A moment I considered just telling him Katie’s address and then take the bus from there as soon as he left.

‘Winter? Your home address? So I can drive you there?’ Caleb prodded me. His tone now more gentle, his hand still awkwardly hovering over the tiny screen.

The address that tumbled from my lips in my haste to answer was my own and a blush rose to my cheeks as I realized it.

‘Wait no!’ I said as he typed it in and pulled out of his parking spot effortlessly. He looked at me sideways, one eyebrow slightly raised but kept on driving.

A moment my breathing hitched in my throat. Why did he have to be so incredibly handsome? Why did I have to dream about his green eyes so often that it was all I saw when I closed my eyes?

‘I can walk… It’s not that far!’

‘Don’t be silly Winter, it would take you at least an hour. Besides, I’m not letting you out of my sight till I’m sure you’re safely home. I told you that before,’ the way he said it made it clear this was the end of the discussion.

I sighed, worried about what he’d think or do when he saw where I lived, and sunk lower in the soft leather chair.

The car ride was far too short for my taste and I slunk down even lower as we neared my house. Caleb seemed to be permanently frowning now.

I wanted to punch the GPS system or maybe throw it out the window when it announced we’d reached our destination.

The house was battered and old and small, the front lawn littered with debris that we hadn’t left there. The paint almost completely gone to show the grey brown of the wood beneath.

‘This is the right place?’ Caleb asked me hesitantly. He was peering at the house uncertainly.

I felt my face flush in shame as I nodded slowly.

‘Thank you Caleb, for the ride, the food and well… yeah,’ I didn’t know how to finish that sentence so I quickly opened my door and hurried across the lawn.

‘Winter!’ he yelled after me, ‘You don’t have to work tomorrow. If you do come, I WILL drive you back home immediately.’ The last comment sounded very serious and I didn’t doubt he’d do it so I nodded my consent and made my way to the house.

The front door was unlocked so I hurried inside. I cast one last look over my shoulder to see the sleek black car pull away from the curb and smoothly executing a U-turn. He drove off without looking in my direction again.

I closed the front door behind me and heaved a relieved sigh before dashing up the stairs to my room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long wait my dear readers!
I've been so terribly busy...
Nothing much happens in this chapter but i promise the next one will be interesting.