Their Violence, Your Silence.

Lonely Heart

I woke up because my stomach was growling loudly. A little disoriented I looked around the room, trying to figure out where exactly I'd fallen asleep and mostly why I felt so good.

I recognized the pale walls littered with pictures of happy times and the dark mahogany bookshelves. My own clothes spread out on various places to help them dry more quickly, that was probably Caleb's doing because I didn't remember it.

Around me the duvet was pulled up high, coming to my chin but at the foot of the bed I spotted the tray with the remains of the pancakes and the empty cups.

Beside me Caleb was warm and very real, my own body tucked into his side so I could feel his long legs stretched out. His chest moving slowly up and down as he breathed. He looked adorable with his hair all messy, his face completely relaxed, a smile on his lips.

He looked tired, with dark rings under his eyes though and I wondered how much sleep he'd gotten since Saturday. Probably about as much as I had.

My stomach growled again and I remembered what had woken me up, stupid body... I really didn't want to get up and I certainly didn't want to wake Caleb now that he was sleeping so peacefully.

The hunger wasn't to be ignored though and I sighed as I searched the bedside table for the alarm to tell me the time. It wasn't there but I spotted it underneath the desk, miraculously still plugged in even though Caleb seemed to have hurled across the room.

The bright red numbers read: 21:37.

Oh no wonder I was hungry, the pancakes hadn't really been a sufficient dinner. I hoped my mother wasn't worried that I still wasn't home... But I'd let them know where I was so it was probably fine.

I looked back up at Caleb's face, unable to resist pressing a soft kiss to his cheek. How could I have ever been so stupid as to think he would do anything to harm me?

Gathering my courage I carefully tried to slip out from underneath Caleb's arms without waking him up. Reflexively he clutched me closer to him though and it took a moment to get him to relax so I could get out of his grasp.

Whispering soft reassurances that I was coming back soon and that he needn't worry combined with softly rubbing his arms seemed to do the trick. I smiled a little triumphantly as I finally stood beside the bed, Caleb still fast asleep.

It was cute how he was frowning now though. So I bend forward and carefully stroked the crease away, pressing a kiss to the skin there. 'I promise I'll be back soon.'

Then I softly padded out of his room by now a little annoyed by the insisting growling of my stomach. 'Yeah yeah, I'm looking for food now! Stop being so impatient.'

The floor was cold to my bare feet but the legs from the sweatpants had rolled down so they practically enveloped my feet as well. The house was completely dark and I wondered briefly if that meant Caleb's father wasn't home.

The kitchen was warm and inviting as I flipped on the light switch there and I quickly made a sandwich for myself. I was sure they wouldn't mind if I ate some of their food. There was enough in the fridge and cupboards anyway to feed an entire family, even though it was only the two of them.

My stomach satisfied I made my way back to the stairs, hoping that Caleb hadn't woken up and that I could sneak back into his arms. On my way there though I noticed that one room wasn't dark.

The piano room.

Through a crack in the door I could only just make out a silhouette seated by hand the grand piano. Was that Mr. Thornleigh?

Before I knew what I was doing my feet had carried me to the door. Allowing me to take a better look into the room. Immediately I knew that I had intruded into something very private.

Mr. Thornleigh was seated on the piano stool, his back straight and erect, his hands hovering above the keys as if he was just about to start playing something. Yet I knew that he had been sitting like that for a long time. Staring at the vase of colorful flowers just beyond the piano.

I knew the flowers symbolized Caleb's mother.

A little shocked I saw how his shoulders shook, his arms trembling, then he withdrew them to his lap. I think it was a good thing I could only see his back because I don't think I could ever face the man again had I actually seen the pain as he cried. So quiet that I could barely even hear his ragged breathing.

I wanted to step away, to leave him to his grief for it was a private thing I was witnessing, but my feet seemed rooted to the spot.

After what seemed like a very long time the shaking of his shoulders slowly subsided. There was a lump in my own throat, sympathy? Yes of course but something else too. It was just so touching to see a grown man cry.

For a moment I felt horror as my feet seemed to betray me again, slipping softly into the piano room. Then I knew there was no backing out, I knew what my feet had send me here to do, or maybe it was my heart.

Mr. Thornleigh looked up at me as I reached the piano stool. I sat down beside him without looking at his face, almost as if I was ignoring him. Still from the corner of my eye, I could see first shock, embarrassment and then anger flit across his features.

Yet I knew I had to persist now, so I set my fingers gently on the piano keys. Allowing them to play what they wanted to play, startled for a moment myself as a soft haunting melody pervaded the room.

I had allowed my fingers often enough to wander the keys on their own accord. Letting them improvise and make their own music, yet never had it felt exactly like this. Right.

The figure of Mr. Thornleigh had tensed up but as I played he seemed to relax. His eyes turning faraway as he looked at the flowers again.

For a while it went like that, my fingers tirelessly playing as the last of his tears fell from his eyes. But I could also tell that it seemed to strengthen him, he slowly sat up straighter, yet a look of acceptance came to his face.

At last I stilled my hands, the melody had come to a natural ending. Mr. Thornleigh's eyes were now on the piano keys.

My own voice sounded a little unreal to me as I spoke: 'Will you play?'

There was no reply but I waited patiently, it seemed like the moment lasted forever but in reality it was probably only about five minutes.

He was breathing in deeply, his eyes closed, then at last he opened them to show me how green they were. Reminding me starkly of Caleb. The nod of his head was almost imperceptible but as he moved his hands to the keys his answer became clear.

His fingers were slender and graceful as they started playing. It was a song I didn't know but it sounded very beautiful and very heartfelt.

As he played he seemed to relax even more and a smile was slowly appearing on his face. I felt my own smile tugging on my lips as I very carefully started to slide off the piano stool.

I left him still playing there and I felt incredibly relieved that I somehow seemed to have done something right. My heart still beating fast.

When I reached Caleb's room I quickly slipped inside, closing the door behind me softly only to realize that he was in fact awake.

He was on his back on the bed, on top of the duvet. The tray he had relocated to his desk. His eyes were closed and I realized he was listening to the piano that could still be heard, even through the closed door.

I couldn't read what kind of emotion was on his face but he seemed relaxed. As I neared the bed he lifted his hand and reached out to me, all without opening his eyes.

I took his hand and allowed him to pull me down on the bed beside him, curling up into his side comfortably again. Breathing out slowly in content as I felt how warm he was and how much I'd obviously cooled down since getting out of bed.

'I don't know what you did Wins... But thank you...' he whispered softly into my hair. His hand trailing up to trace patterns on my back.

I shivered in delight, 'Don't know what I did either... It just happened. I hope he wont be mad that I intruded,' I added as I remembered seeing his father cry. Caleb didn't need to know that of course.

'I don't think he will,' Caleb answered thoughtfully, 'It's been three years since he last played... He played for her everyday you know, especially when she got sick.'

I didn't know that... Caleb didn't often talk about his mom, especially not about the period when she got sick. He and his dad didn't seem to have the best of relationships, they were always so formal and distant.

'Do you want to go down to him?' I wondered. Maybe this would change things for them... I would like it if Caleb felt a little more 'home' in own house. I knew that's why he rather spend time at my house, with my parents even.

I felt him shake his head, 'No... I might talk to him later. Or something...'

Men... I would probably never understand them.

It was nearly eleven o'clock now I noticed. A little sad I sat up straight, 'I should go home...'

'Why?' Caleb asked a little surprised.

'They'll worry where I am... You can come with me? My mom certainly won't mind that,' I explained slowly. Thinking about how much my mom likes it when Caleb's around, she loves how he's always so interested in her cooking.

'Cool,' was all he said as he followed my example and got off the bed. He rushed around the room gathering some clothes and other things, unceremoniously stuffing them in a bag.

I wondered about my clothes but they were still wet so we left them. Instead I borrowed a pair of his socks and then slipped on my shoes. Still wearing his clothes, they were very comfy though.

Caleb wrote a quick note to his dad, to let him know where we were. We didn't want to disturb him as he was still playing the piano.
♠ ♠ ♠
So.... I have absolutely no idea where this chapter came from. It wasn´t planned... It just sorta wrote itself.

Anyway i´m gonna try get another chapter out tomorrow :)

Really would like some feedback on this though ^^