Status: Being Written and Edited as we speak ;)

Created

Created (Chpt. 5)

Chapter 5

‘Ring-Ring,’ The girl looked over from her sewing, across the room to the phone as it rang once again. The girl pressed a button on the side of her headset. The ringing stopped.

“Hello!” The girl cried cheerfully into her mic and headset, knowing full well that her voice was disguised to the other line under a filter. No one would know that she was only eighteen. “This is a representative of the Board speaking. And who do I owe the privilege of speaking to this afternoon?”

“Anita,” came the cold response. “Anita Weedman.” A large smile broke out onto the girl’s face when she heard the name.

“Anita!” she cried happily. “How have you been since we last spoke? Well, I hope?”

“No, actually. Not well at all.” The girl sighed sadly.

“Such a shame, Anita, dear. But, you sound angry. A penny for your thoughts?”

“I have too many thoughts to share with you, I won’t make you pay.” She replied.

“How kind. I’m listening.” The girl put her cheek in her palm and fingered the yarn she was now sewing to the doll's head.

“It’s about Claire, the volunteer girl you and the rest of the Board assigned to that man, do you remember?”

“Claire? Of course I remember, Anita! Quite the character, that one. How is she?” The girl laughed quietly to herself as she sewed on the button eyes, smiling as she cut the remaining thread with her teeth.

“Not well either, I’m afraid. The man we spoke of last time, he woke up.”

“Wonderful, wonderful!! All on his own, I hope?”

“Well, no. We hooked him up to a RPR and woke him up with the medicine.” ‘Oh, goody!’ the girl thought gleefully. More of the story, taking turns she hadn’t expected! So fun! She ran a finger down the side of the doll’s face, the one she had been sewing so carefully, then frowned, despite her silence excitement, to make her computer-edited voice sound more disapproving.

“And who authorized this treatment, Head Nurse?” she asked. Most people would crumble under such disapproval of the Board, but not strong, strong Anita! Anita was her favorite. Anita was smart enough not to trust her. She wouldn’t be afraid.

“Claire herself did, representative. She took complete control.”

“Did she, now?” The girl laughed out loud. “And I can guess, after such a show of responsibitily on Claire’s part, you want us to remove her from the assignment?”

“There’s more.”

“There always is, Anita, dear. Continue.”

“When Adam woke up, he knocked out all the doctors and nurses that were assisting him, except for Claire. Then, he told Claire he was running from someone. I called the police and had him locked up in a secure hospital room, but we suspect that this man is dangerous, probably a fugitive.” The girl only laughed. “He could be dangerous! We have to research him, find out who he is! We can’t assign an inexperienced volunteer to a man like him!”

“Believe me, Anita. We know what we’re doing. We’ve done our homework! Trust me, this man is anything BUT dangerous! He is no fugitive.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“I KNOW, Anita. I know.”

“We need to take her off, we need to do something about Adam! We can’t-“

“Anita!” The girl cried. “I have it under control! Adam is to remain as if under normal circumstance, and Claire is to remain assigned to him! That is final, Anita Weedman! Thank you and good day!”A click of a button on her headset ended the call, and the girl let out her breath deeply. She dropped the nearly finished voodoo doll on the table. It’s brown button eyes stared up blankly at her, the raggedy yarn hair strewn around its face. Anita was one of her favorites, but her persistent, demanding personality irked her. The girl liked control. Complete control. And Anita was a test subject in which she held no aces.

“But I have YOU, don’t I Adam?” the girl giggled as she picked up the voodoo doll with the green eyes. “And you now, too, Claire? Oh, goody! This will be sooo much fun!”
♠ ♠ ♠
One note!! The abbreviation RPR is used here. I have absolutely NO idea what it is because when I made it up, I just put random letters in there to make it look professional!! LOL! But, it's kind of a revival medicine, wakes you up and puts you to sleep with chemicals issued to your brain... or something like that... Just ignore it, it's not all that important.