Seven Minutes

One in the Closet

I’m told I have to use suspense, so I can’t do anything crazy like skip to the party or anything. You have to wait and read about all the boring crap I did before the party. Of course, I guess you could just as easily skip and read ahead, but then you wouldn’t find out what kind of person I was or what kinda people I hung out with. I’m told those things are important in building up a story. And you want the story to be good, right?
Well, yes, as I previously stated I was a hopeless romantic. That being said, I was reading Montana Sky—a Nora Roberts novel—on the hood of my Chevy convertible as I waited for Dustin to show up. I was a secret geek, you see. You’d be surprised to find the geek under the honey blonde crop of hair and fashionable clothes, but a geek I was. I was always early at school, I was a straight A student—I mean, you have to keep pretty good grades to be in the drama business.
It wasn’t long before my BBF since diapers parked beside me. She said a bright hello—we were both morning people—before rudely reading the back of my book. “Is that the one with John Corbett as the sexy cowboy?”
“If you’re referring to the movie adaptation, than yes.” I wasn’t a fan of John Corbett playing the lead male role as Ben McKinnon. He was too old; although I loved John Corbett, don’t get me wrong.
Kimmie settled next to me on the hood. “I like the chic from Hollywood . Tessa?”
“Tess,” I corrected absent mindedly.
“Yeah. She’s pretty witty. Kinda annoying, but turned out good in the end. Like they all do.”
I shrugged. “She’s okay.”
“But you like Wilma.”
“Willa.”
“Whatever. You know you should read something normal teenagers read. Like Twilight or Vampire Diaries or something. Ooh! Speaking of which, did you se the latest episode of Vampire Diaries? Where Alaric is holding the bowl of Chunky Monkey?”
“I about died,” I said unenthusiastically, although that part had been pretty epic.
“Why do you read adult books?” Leave it to Kimmie to be completely random.
“Nora Roberts has better booty scenes.”
“Are you kidding me?”
“Chapter twenty-one and on.”
“Lemme see that!” Without warning, Kimmie snatched the book from my hand, flipping to the designated page.
I sighed boredly as she read the foreplay. I already knew how the book ended, because I watched the movie first, so I wasn’t a crazy person to finish it. Yes, we know Ben proposes to Willa. I loved Nora Roberts; but her characters always, always ended up pregnant and married, usually in that order.
I looked up at the bright blue sky, wondering if Nora Roberts had the ending to my life. Someone did, I was sure of that. I was an impatient reader; I always read the last line of every book before I even read the prologue. If only I could do that with my life…I could flip through to the end of the book and see if Dustin’s name was still there or if he had been replaced by someone else.
Kimmie’s loud whistle broke my thoughts. “Sex-ee!” She’d always been a fast reader.
I rolled my eyes. She hadn’t even begun anything yet. If she had, there would be a lower, shock holy—
“Holy shiiiiiiiiit…..”
And there it was. The explicit booty scene between virgin Willa and experienced but dormant Ben. “Told ya. You should read the McClain brothers. They have some pretty good—“
“Shhhhh, Jaimes!”
I hated it when she called me Jaimes. It made me feel like a boy….
“Oh my damn….”
“Okay shut your mouth,” I muttered, fully embarrassed. “You’re starting to sound horny…..”
“If this doesn’t make anyone horny, I don’t know what will….” She said a little too loudly. “This right here, this….this is shocking…..”
I was five seconds from snatching the book away from her. I had merely let her take it to prove a point, but she abused it. Ah, well. She was a girl. I’d be worried if she hadn’t abused it. I probably would have, after all….minus the scene she was causing.
I jumped excitedly off my hood as Dustin’s familiar Jeep pulled in. He barely had time to get out of the car before I leaped into his arms, smothering him with a long kiss.
“And you say I’m horny!” Kimmie laughed loudly.
Completely and utterly embarrassed, I awkwardly released Dustin, slyly glancing around to see how many people had heard my crazy friend. Pretty much the entire school. Great. I hid my face away from them. Dustin laughed, brushing my short hair away from my face.
“Don’t worry about it, I missed you too.” He kissed the tip of my nose.
I smiled gratefully up at him, glad he didn’t tease me further about Kimmie’s obnoxious retort. It was something I absolutely adored and relied on in Dustin; he didn’t make a bunch of typical guy dirty jokes, or at least not around me. He was the perfect gentleman, with perfect brown hair and perfect brown eyes. He was The Dream Guy every girl wants.
He draped his arm around my shoulder as we walked up to the school building. “You ready for auditions today?”
I nodded excitedly. The school was holding auditions for ‘My Fair Lady’ later that evening. “Yeah. Really nervous, though.”
“Don’t be. They’d be crazy not to cast you as Eliza.”
I blushed in response.
“Aw, Dusty, you’re too sweet!” Kimmie gushed, catching up to us. I noticed the book was closed around her finger, marking her place. “When will you realize it’s me you want and dump this crazy girl?”
I rolled my eyes, sticking my tongue out at her. She winked at me.
“Well, for one the hundreds of guys pining after you would kill me,” Dustin said, always the flattering sweetheart. “And two, I don’t think I could ever break up with this gal.” He pulled me tighter against him.
As sweet and romantic as it looked in the movies when a guy did that, it wasn’t so awesome in real life. It’s hard to breathe, for one, and awkward to walk. I smiled up at him anyways, trying to walk sideways and not fall. He smiled back, completely oblivious to my discomfort.

“Sooooo, how were the auditions?” Kimmie asked on our way to the parking lot.
I sighed dejectedly. “I don’t think I got it.”
“What? Why not?”
“Cause they had to ask me to slow down when I was reading the first few lines.”
“But you were just nervous. You did better afterward, didn’t you?”
I nodded. “Yeah, but it was definitely not one of my best auditions.”
“Ah, always the perfectionist! Oh!” Kimmie reached into her messenger bag, pulling out my book. “I finished it from twenty-one. Pretty good.”
“Well, yeah. All smaller versions of major booty scene.”
She smiled coyly.
I just rolled my eyes.
“So, you hear about Janice’s party tonight?”
I nodded. In fact, Janice had told me herself in the drama club. Over and over and over again. “Yeah, you going?”
“Are you kidding me? And miss a chance at 7 Match-making Minutes in Heaven? Not a chance!”
Kimmie was more romantic than she liked anyone to believe. She loved those typical party games and always picked an alternate reality that she’d fall in love with the guy she kissed in Spin the Bottle.
“Alright. Come over half hour before the party so we can carpool.”
Kimmie batted her long, dark lashes. “And be your date?” she teased. “But of course, darling! I thought you’d never ask!”
I rolled my eyes, laughing. “Kim, you’re such a dork.”
“Me? Hey, what’d you get in the pop history quiz today? Oh, that’s right. Perfect!”
I unlocked my car, throwing my messenger bag in the passenger’s seat. “That’s cause I actually did my homework, slacker.”
“Nerd!”
“Procrastinator!”
“Over-do-gooder!”
I laughed, slipping into my car.
“Hey, what about Boyfriend?”
“Dustin was late for auditions and I was part of the first group. I already texted him and we’re gonna meet at the party. Satisfied?”
“Just wanting to make sure you’re treating that sexy beast right!”
“As always.”
“Arrivederici!”
“Au revoir!”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“YOU’RE LATE!” I shrieked, bolting out the front door towards my car.
Kimmie was done up very…..well, Kimmie. She had tight black skinny jeans with strappy high heel sandals, a red halter top, shadowy eyes, and ruby red lips. I was a little less flashy; plain skinny jeans, flats, plain yellow tank top topped with an aqua T-shirt and a jean jacket. It was enough to make Dustin think I looked good while warded the others that I was obviously taken.
“What’s that?” Kimmie asked on the way there, gesturing at me outfit.
I ignored her as she continued to rag on my outfit. I was quite possibly the only person who could actually be successful in ignoring Kimmie.
We were of the first people at the party, meaning it was highly probably our names would be picked first.
Colie, Janice’s step sister, was taking everyone’s names, looking miserable. She had upgraded her chunky black squared glasses for contacts and her usual band T-shirt and jeans to one of her step sister’s outfits; a see through black button down shirt with a white cami underneath, the tightest dark skinny jeans imaginable, but she still wore her ratty black Converse. Colie was my age and was editor of the school newspaper. It wasn’t a secret she didn’t care what people thought of her—which was that she was a nerdy recluse—and instead continued to be herself. I had to admire her for it.
“Wow, Colie you look great!” I commented, dropping my name in the hat.
She smiled unenthusiastically. “I feel like a tramp.”
Caught a little off-guard, I tried assuring, “No, no! Really, you look fantastic!”
She gave me the you’re-not-fooling-anyone eye.
“Okay, well, maybe the jeans are a little tight…..”
“I can’t even feel them anymore. It took nearly an hour just to get them on.”
I laughed.
Someone behind me sighed loudly. The opening for the house was enormous—Janice’s family was freaking loaded—but whoever was behind me was really impatient to put their name in.
I sighed irritably. “Listen, Colie, I’ll catch up to you later.”
She nodded.
Kimmie and I spent a lot of time in the kitchen, drinking soda—well, Kimmie had beer; I had no desire for alcohol whatsoever anymore—munching off the party finger foods—Janice’s step mom was a magnificent cook!—and chatting it up with some school friends.
I was in the middle of a conversation with Anne Broachers about the auditions today when we heard Janice announce into a microphone, “It’s time to play Seven Minutes in Heaven! Gather ‘round!”
“Who says ‘gather round’?” Anne laughed.
“Janice.”
We made our way to the already crowded area of The Closet and waited. I looked around for Dustin but couldn’t find him anywhere. It wasn’t until then that I noticed he wasn’t there. I sent a text asking him where he was.
He responded back almost immediately.
DUSTIN: Car trouble. B there in a bit tho.
JAIME: r u alright?
DUSTIN: fine, just a flat. Its all good tho.
JAIME: k
I got my head back in the game just as Janice announced the guy and he walked into the closet. I didn’t see who it was because I was so dang short and a bunch of people were in front of me. All I could see was Janice standing on a chair with her microphone, Colie on her right holding up the baseball cap and Janice’s boyfriend Lesner holding a bowl on her left.
I was tapping my foot, eagerly awaiting Dustin’s arrival. C’mon, c’mon!
I was growing nervous, thinking Janice would set me up with another guy instead of my own boyfriend. She wouldn’t do that, though…..right?
I shook it off. No, she wouldn’t do that. How silly of me to doubt my own friend!
“Jaime….Jaime!”
I looked at Kimmie as she shook my shoulder, startled out of my thoughts. “What?”
Kimmie’s eyes flashed with amusement. “You idiot! Didn’t you hear Janice? You’re up!”
“B-but…..” Dustin’s not here…..
Kimmie gave me a light, encouraging shove toward the closet. “Go on scaredy cat. Your boy toy won’t mind!”
I stumbled toward the closet as more people shoved me toward it. Mob mentality! I felt horrible claustrophobic and a betrayed. Janice had planned me to be in the closet with a different boy? But then it hit me. Maybe Dustin was only kidding about the flat tire. I hadn’t, after all, heard or seen the boy walking in the closet. Maybe it was Dustin after all.
I walked inside the closet, a little more confident now.
“Seven minutes!” Janice said loudly in the mic.
I felt around the big closet blindly. “Dustin?”
Hands found mine, clasping mine just above the wrist. But they weren’t Dustin’s hands; even in the dark I knew the feel of my own boyfriend’s hands. Dustin’s hands were smooth and smallish while these hands were rough and big. Well, I mean not wrestler big, but definitely bigger than Dustin’s dainty hands.
I pulled away, rubbing my wrists. “Y-you’re not…”
There was a deep chuckle. “Not that I remember. Maybe in another life.”
I shook my head, the feeling of betrayal back and stronger than ever. I crossed my arms protectively over my chest, backing into the wall. “Are you kidding me?”
“I kid about a lot of things.”
I frowned, though Whoever He Was couldn’t see. “I meant now.”
“Um….no.”
I could feel him closing in on me. “Look, I’m just a little pissed that you’re not my boyfriend, so—“
“So am I.”
I paused, not sure if I heard correctly. “What?”
“What?”
“No, wha—ugh, nevermind. I really have no intention of cheating on my boyfriend.”
“Then why’d you drop your name in the hat?” he laughed.
“Because I thought I’d be set up with my boyfriend.”
“That’s not how the game works, sweetheart.”
“You’d be surprised. And don’t call me sweetheart.”
“Hey, whatever you say. Um, not to sound presumptuous or anything, but not even a peck on the lips? I mean, this is kinda my only chance here….”
He was right. I was being a tease. “No article of clothing leaves this body.”
“Yes, ma’am.”
“And you’ll tell me who you are.”
“Later.”
I gasped at the startling connection of his lips on mine. I hadn’t realized he was that close. He pulled me closer into him, kissing me with a passion I didn’t understand. On his best days, Dustin couldn’t compare with this guy. He was a fantastic kisser and I….
I couldn’t help but completely melt in his arms. I let him kiss me a while before I kissed back, running my hands through his shaggy, wavy hair. Whoever He Was kissed me deeper, his tongue brushing my bottom lip. Without consciously meaning to, I opened my mouth to him completely and he rushed right on in. Another unintentionally, embarrassing thing happened….I let out a small moan of pleasure to where everyone could hear. I knew this because I heard their giggles.
In a way, though, that was right. It brought me back to reality. I pulled my lips free, with a bit of difficulty on both parts, from Whoever He Was, turning my face to the side. Not that it stopped him any. He kissed my cheek with hot, electric kisses that traled down my jaw and to my neck.
I pushed him back just as he neared my soft spot, my breathing terribly uneven. “Okay, that’s enough. My…..my boyfriend….”
I could hear the smile in his breathless voice as he said, “You liked it, didn’t you?”
“N-no….” I’d never been a good liar, least of all when my head felt this dizzy and light.
He laughed lowly, his breath hot and uneven on my cheeks. He leaned down, as if to kiss me again. I wouldn’t have stopped him. But he didn’t kiss me. He pushed back, leaning against the wall on my left.
“Doyle.”
I looked to my left, though I could barely see him. He was standing closest to the door and the cracks of light was only enough to silhouette him. “What?”
“You asked my name, Jaime. It’s Doyle. Malcolm Doyle.”
My mouth fell open. One, how could Malcolm Doyle possibly know me? And two, who knew Prankster Malcolm knew how to kiss?
Which reminded me of three……
I MADE OUT WITH MALCOLM FREAKING DOYLE?!
No, not just made out with him, but liked it!
I had the nerve to slap him. I didn’t, though, because he didn’t really deserve it. I should be slapping myself.
“You’re sure quiet all of a sudden,” he laughed. He was always laughing.
“You’re an asshole!” But when I said he was an asshole, I really meant I was the asshole.
“Why thank you.”
“Y-you…..! Oooh!”
“You’re even cuter when you’re mad.”
“I am not cute!” I lashed out. Then I thought of what I’d just said. “Well, I mean….”
“You think you’re cute? Wow, aren’t you full of yourself.”
“Shut up!”
“Yes, ma’am.”
“Shut up!”
“Yes, ma’am.”
“Stop calling me ma’am!”
“Yes, ma’am….Wait, what?”
“Oooh!” I paced around the closet, infuriated with myself.
That was when I felt his rough hand around mine. I turned around as his lips met mine a second time, not as sweet and soft this time but rough and hungry. I stumbled backward, my back hitting the wall. He pinned me there, kissing me roughly. I just blinked, not really sure what to do. Malcolm didn’t scare me, but this rough kiss did…I had never been kissed like this. I mean, it wasn’t angry or anything. If anything it was meant for his own pure amusement, to shake me up.
He pulled away, though. And again I was sure he was smiling. “How you like them apples?”
“Y-you’re….” I cleared my throat, my lips hot and raw. “You’re such an—“
The door swung open. I could only imagine how we looked. Me against the wall with Malcolm holding my wrists at my sides, his body pressed against mine.
There were loud wolf whistles and I felt my face burn hot with humiliation.
“What was that, sweetheart?” Malcolm asked, smiling down at me.
I looked up at him. He wasn’t that much taller than me—I mean still taller, maybe by a head—and his shaggy brown hair was a mess, tangled in front of his milky brown eyes. My breath hitched just in the tiniest bit at the way he was smiling at me. I quickly pushed any thoughts away, as I did Malcolm. I gave him a hard shove before stomping out of the closet, arms wrapped around me.
Kimmie whistled at the sight of my red face and swollen lips. “Wow, you look great. Love what you’ve done to your hair.”
I flattened my short hair into submission, growing more embarrassed. “Is Dustin here yet?” I asked miserably.
Kimmie shook her head. “Haven’t seen him. Damn! I wish I get as lucky as you did.”
I snorted. At least you’re single, I thought, feeling sick. I texted Dustin that I needed him to take me home and I explain on the way.
He replied, saying he just pulled up.
I made my way toward the front door. Malcolm caught up with me, though.
“Hey, you’re leaving?”
I nodded, glaring at him.
He pulled on my fingers. “Dance with me first.”
I shook my head, pulling my fingers back. “My boyfriend’s waiting outside for me.”
Malcolm smiled crookedly. “You say that like it’s gonna stop me.”
I quirked an eyebrow. “What’s that s’posed to mean?”
“It means the next time there’s a party, I’ll be the one waiting outside for you.”
I was a little caught off guard by his forwardness, and a little scared. I yanked the door open, mad now. “We’ll see about that.”
Malcolm laughed at me. “Sweet dreams, sweetheart.”
I flipped him off before slamming the door. But as I ran into my boyfriend’s arms, that sick feeling came back. I didn’t tell him about what happened—well, I mean that some guy kissed me while I got shoved into the closet, being made to believe it was him, Dustin.
And when I went to sleep that night, it wasn’t Dustin’s sweet dreams kiss that stayed in my mind.
It was Malcolm Doyle’s.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N 1.) Yes, I did steal Malcolm's name from 27 Dresses. 2.) I am absolutely in love with this story now that I've decided to do it like this. After this, there will be Colie's prologue, followed by her party chapter. I love Colie! She is my absolute favorite; you guys are gonna love her, too, swear. She's so cool. Plus her story's got a better twist. I haven't written out Rhett yet, so there's still room for him to screw up any plans I have for his personality--my characters hate me that way; Keali was supposed to be a bitch, but she didn't quite end up that way--but I think Malcolm's gonna be my favorite.
There's a refernce in here about last night's Vampire Diaries. I just have to add to that; what's better than half naked Alaric offering a bowl of Chunky Monkey? (and I actually had to explain to my poor friend that was Ben&Jerry's ice cream and not made up for the show, lol)
I'll tell you what's better: Damon with a bowl of half baked, lol!
SYLM chapter perhaps tomorrow.
VOTES?
COMMENTS?
TTFN,
Hannah
P.S Ben&Jerry's is an unhealthy addiction of mine.