Status: *On the back burner for now.* Tell me if you're still reading please

The Thin Line

Chapter 4: A New Life.

A black Bentley rolled up on my street in front of my house. It’s tinted windows rolled down.

“Ms. Brown?” the driver asked

“Yes?” I croaked.

He got out of the car, “Hello. I’m Jim, I’m here on behalf og the Canterbury family.”

“Yes.” I croaked, like it was the only word I know.

He stared at me a second, as if in disbelief, but he came up to me on the sidewalk.

“Here let me help you” he said as he opened the backseats door.

I stood there my legs suddenly not working.

He stared at me again, “those look heavy here, let me help you” he said raking the suit case's out of my hand.

He put them in the trunk as I found the energy to get in the car.

I rolled down the window and took a glance at my house, and began to wonder. If my dad was here would he beg me not to go through tears? Would he even see me off? Or behave the same way when my mom left?

“All set?” Jim asked me as he got behind the steering wheel.

There’s no point in thinking of “ What if’s” now.

I nodded, “All set” I say smiling at him. He stares at with a surprised look before smiling right back, “Then let’s be on our way” he said as he faces forwards and started to drive.

Things could be worse:

A) Jim could’ve been old, gross and mean

B) My friends could’ve been here, and I could be crying. Oh wait, I am.

C) My job could suck and I would be trapped with it all summer. I hope its neither.

I sigh, earning me a worried glance from Jim. Thank, God that he doesn’t seem to be over 20, or I’d have to worry about other things.

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat until I found a comfortable spot.

This is going to be a long summer

**

It’s been more than an hour. Just when I thought that this ride was never going to end, Jim turned out of the freeway and onto a dirt road that lead up onto a mountain. After ten minutes of rounding around the mountain, that’s completely covered in trees, we reach a wide black fence that seemed to cut right through the forest. On the other side stood a small fort, identical to the one right in front of us.

Jim went to a complete stop, rolled down his window and stuck his head out. Two men walked out of the fort and came over.

Jim showed them his dog tag. They scanned it with a pen, then his eyes.

“Kay Jim your all clear” the man with a deep voice said.

“thanks Rob” Jim said as he tucked his dog chain back in his shirt,

A bright light shinned in my eyes, “what’s this? A stowaway?” the other guard asked. I forgot that I had left the window down.

I glared into the light.

“No. She’s the new worker” I heard Jim’s voice say.

“Oh. I’m so sorry, Ms. Brown was it?” the guard asked finally putting the light out of my face, I
saw a glimpse of short red hair.

“Yes”

He seemed taken aback, “Of Course. I’m so sorry Ms” he reached into his pocket, “If I could
just?” he asked holding up a scanner pen.

I nodded.

The scanner light went across my eyes.

And it triggered a memory I had forgotten that I seal away in a part of my mind forever.

A knock on the door was heard.

I grabbed my hot chocolate and ran to the door.

I opened it

A light was flashed in my eyes, “Hey Violet, is a grown up home?” I heard a southern accent
say.

I glared into the light, not able to identify the speaker, “No, my daddy’s at work”

“Oh.” I heard them whisper about something.

“What’s wrong?” I asked taking a sip of my hot chocolate.

They finally lowered the light from my eyes; it was Officer Charlie and Officer Robinson.

Officer Charlie went down on his knees to match my eye sight, “Sweetie, this is hard to say but your momma was in a car accident not too long ago.”

“What?” I asked lowering my cup from my face.

“She’s in the hospital and we don’t think that she’s gonna make it.”

I lost all feeling.

My hot chocolate slipped and crashed against the floor.

“Violet, what was that?” I heard an unrecognizable voice say.

Officer Charlie got up and said, “Oh Johnny- didn’t know you were home.”

“What going on?” the voice said closer now.

“It about your Mama.”

“Violet, go clean yourself up.” I heard the voice say, it petted my hair, “Go on, I need to talk to
the nice officers”

Reluctantly I walked up stairs.

“You don’t tell little kids that sort of thing!” I heard the voice say, “How is she supposed to
know!”

I dropped once I got to the top of the stairs.

Where’s my mommy?

The thought of her never returning set uncontrollable chills down my spine, and made the stomach do the flip flops.

I heaved the hot chocolate right back up.

“Violet!”


I jerk away from the scanner

“Sorry” he said as the scanner beeped, “alright your all clear Ms. Brown. Oh and welcome to the Canterbury Workforce.” He said as the window began to roll up.

“Thanks” I found my voice just in time.

Jim began to drive when the big gates opened up to us, “Sorry about that, it’s a safety procedure, I should’ve warned you about it.”

“It’s alright” I manage to mutter.

What’s really in my mind is who the hell is Johnny?
♠ ♠ ♠
I'll make it simple.

comments = updates

This one goes to: M.C Sniffy

EDITED: If you see any mistakes please point them out to me in a msg. thanks!