For What You Are

Conversing with the Enemy

Jayne stood in the shade of a birch tree as she waited patiently for someone to meet her. She flicked a ring between her fingers carelessly before throwing at high in the air and catching it.

“Slayer,” a voice came from near her. She spun around to see a high school girl walking up to her. Of course, Jayne knew immediately who she was and also why she had come.

“Well,” Jayne asked. “Have you got it?”

Immediately the girl procured a book from her bag. “Don’t lose it,” she said. “Kale will kill me.”

“Don’t worry,” Jayne replied calmly. “I’m not infamous for losing library books. I might’ve been if I ever went to high school, but – ”

“You never went to high school?” the girl asked in astonishment.

“Indeed I did not Hailey,” Jayne replied. “But thank you for bringing me the book. Tell Kale I’ll be in touch.”

“Will do,” Hailey replied, beginning to walk away.

“Wait,” Jayne said, catching a glimpse of light coming from her finger. “Who’s the witch in the town?”

“What do you mean?”

“You have the rings,” she said. “You don’t burn in sunlight. Who’s the witch?”

“Long gone nowadays,” she replied, examining her ring. “They say that she couldn’t stand always being in debt to our kind.”

“Figures,” Jayne breathed. “That’s how they all end up. See you around Hailey.”

“Yeah,” Hailey replied. “Bye.”

Jayne walked back to the shade of her tree carrying her book before sitting down and opening it to a page. Immersing herself in further history of this mystic town, she didn’t even realise when somebody walked past her.

“Out and about slayer?”

She didn’t even need to look up to know who it was. “You got one of those rings too then? Honestly, if every vampire in this town is walking in daylight I’m never going to get any sleep.”

“The slayer sleeps?”

“Indeed she does,” Jayne said, closing the book and standing up. “By the way, you never answered my question about whether you were trying to kill me.”

“I don’t make a habit of conversing with the enemy.”

“So you are out to kill me?”

“I never said that,” he replied as he walked away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah, I think my parents are going to kill me because i have a bad feeling that i failed my maths exam. Oh well. Comments always appreciated.

Nita. xx