Status: In college, but I'll update when I can!

Someone Get Me a Doctor, Someone Call the Nurse

Chapter Seven

(Maddie POV)

My mood wasn’t much better when I woke up. Rolling out of bed, I stumbled to the bathroom in a half-asleep daze. I managed to cut on the shower without really seeing or thinking about what I was doing, mind not yet caught up to me. My heart though had never really slept, and it sat in my chest like a 50 lb. weight. Tomorrow, I go back to my life as a regular, ordinary person, studying her butt off to finally graduate. The thought of my final year should have made me happy, but instead, all I felt was infinite sadness at the prospect of waking up from the dream these last few days had been.

The hot water and heady scent of apples woke my mind up at last, easing my mood as I fell into the mindless routine of showering. Muscles relaxed and sweat slid down the drain, leaving me refreshed. I would make today a good day…I’m determined to cheer up. With that thought, I bounced through getting ready, sliding on some dark skinny jeans and a pale blue button-up shirt. Twisting my hair behind me into a short bun, I slid a pair of silver clips in to hold it back.

Hm…what should I do? Ah…the closet. THAT needed to be cleaned out. I should’ve done it forever ago, but I just couldn’t bring myself to open the boxes. Trotting down the stairs, I rounded the corner to the guest bedroom and walked in. The closet was right by the doorway, almost directly across from it, so I walked into it shortly after passing the first doorframe. Three large boxes gathered dust in the far left corner…left from my freshman year.

Sighing heavily, I hauled the first one out into the middle of the medium-sized closet and plopped down beside it. This may not be cheerful work, but it would distract me from thinking of the future. Steeling my nerves, I gripped the side flaps and got ready to haul it open when the doorbell suddenly rang. Startled, I froze in place. Who the hell would be over here at—looking at my watch—9 in the morning? The doorbell rang again, reminding me to move. I dusted off my hands as I jogged to the front door, just around the corner and a few paces from the room I currently occupied.

“Coming!” I hollered impatiently as the doorbell went off again. Jeez…people are so antsy. Tucking a strand of hair behind my ear, I yanked open the large wood and swirled glass door. Three familiar faces grinned at me from the stoop and my jaw fell open slightly in shock. 30 Seconds To Mars was on my front step…and here I am goggling at them like an idiot. My teeth clicked together from the force. “What are you doing here? Quick…come in before you get mobbed!” The troupe hustled inside, chuckling at my antics.

“Morning Maddie! The guys wanted their turn to thank you, so we figured we’d drop by and kidnap you for awhile…if you aren’t busy?” Jared’s face was all kid and puppy-eyes, making my heart melt. I shook my head.

“Nope…I’m free. Um…Hi?” I waved nervously at the other two, not sure what they’d think of me.

“C’mere! No need to be shy!” Thick arms squeezed the air out of me as Shannon rushed me into a bear-hug. It was like he was just one of my ordinary pals, and I immediately relaxed and hugged him back. This dream just gets stranger and stranger. Life was going to suck once reality struck.

“Glad to see you’re feeling better.” Set firmly on my feet again, I held out my hand to the other man. “Nice to meet you. I’m Madison, aka: Maddie.” He held out his hand and firmly shook mine.

“Tomo. Thanks again for what you did. Who knows what we would have done without him.” Tomo began to give Shannon a noogie, making Jared and I laugh.

“I’m glad he’s ok.” I smiled brightly, feeling mildly shy amidst all the celebrities. “So…where are you kidnapping me to, and do I need to eat first?”

“It’s a surprise, and we can grab stuff on the way.”

“But…I have food here?” Jared ignored me as both he and Shannon hauled me to the door. Luckily, my keys and purse were on the way, so I snatched them along with a pair of black flats. Once outside, the brothers paused only long enough for me to lock up and then we were off. Inside the SUV, Jared wrapped his hands over my eyes, shocking a yelp out of me.

“Hey!” Breath whooshed past my ear, raising the hair on my neck.

“No peeking.” I pouted in response, hearing a chuckle from two of the three males around me. “Aw…Isn’t that adorable.” Not sure if he was mocking me or just being silly, I stopped the pouting and leaned back into the leather seat. This would be a long ride.

(Jared POV)

With Shannon feeling better, he and I decided it would be awesome to go visit Maddie and spend the day with her. Once Tomo came back with the coffee, we voiced our plan and he agreed whole-heartedly.

It didn’t take very long to get to Madison’s home, and the guys paused to admire its idyllic charm. Shannon hopped out of the car first, nearly bouncing in place in excitement. Chuckling to myself, I slid out of the driver’s seat and tossed the keys to Tomo.

“You’re driving next. I gotta keep Maddie from peeking.” Looking at Shannon, I eye-rolled. “Jeez Shan, hyper much?” His response was to smack my arm.

“I’ve been waiting to thank her for two days. You were hogging her!”

“Nu-uh! You were sick.” Before the conversation got further, Tomo stepped between us, pointing at the door.

“If you two start, she’ll hear you and the first surprise will be blown.” Shrugging, Shannon and I fell in behind and trotted to the door. As we rang the doorbell, butterflies kicked in. What if she wasn’t up yet…or what if she left earlier this morning? After the third ring, Maddie’s voice hollered from behind the door, making me sigh mentally in relief. As she opened the door, the look on her face was priceless. For a moment, she just gaped at us, then snapped her mouth shut and ushered us in. Explaining a very brief synopsis of our plan for the day, I made puppy-eyes at her, hoping she’d agree to come along.

“Nope…I’m free.” Turning to Shannon and Tomo, Maddie’s body language morphed into a more subdued stature and she waved shyly. “Um…hi.” Not one for shyness, Shannon just pulled the petite woman into a tight hug, and I felt an odd tug in my gut. The sensation deepened as Maddie hugged him back, a smile blossoming on her face. I shrugged it off as the pair parted and the introductions continued.

“So…where are you kidnapping me to, and do I need to eat first?” I grinned like a madman. If only she knew what we had in store.

“Nope…It’s a surprise. We can grab stuff on the way.” Nearly bouncing with pent up energy, I took one of Maddie’s arms in mine and Shannon grabbed the other. Together, we waltzed her out of the room and outside, pausing to let her grab her shoes and lock the door. I helped her into the SUV, sliding in next to her so I could put my hands over her eyes. We should’ve gotten a blindfold, but we were in a rush and didn’t think about it until it was too late. As I covered her vision, Maddie let out an almost cute yelp.

“Hey!” Leaning close to her ear, I whispered:

“No peeking.” Her response was to push out her lower lip in a pout that bordered on sexy, and I chuckled along with Shannon to hide where my mind was falling. “Aw…isn’t that adorable?” The pout disappeared while she slid back into the seat. Did I upset her? I frowned, hoping she didn’t think I was making fun of her. Shannon caught my look and shrugged before turning around.

“Don’t worry, Maddie. You’ll have fun!” I could’ve hugged Tomo for his addition to the conversation, watching a small smile stretch across delicate, pink lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm hoping to toss some zest into this in the next few chapters, but I'm going to have to do some fast forwarding soon. Is everyone ok with that?