Status: In college, but I'll update when I can!

Someone Get Me a Doctor, Someone Call the Nurse

Chapter Nine

(Maddie POV)

I could feel the sadness threatening to crush my lungs, the lead weight building in my gut. I knew it was coming, but after all the fun the guys and I had yesterday, the pain of them leaving was so much more acute. The look on Jared’s face was probably the mirror of my own. Who would’ve thought that I’d become friends with 30 Seconds to Mars? Shannon released me from his hug and patted my shoulder.

“We’ll keep in touch, ok?”

“Ok…” Yeah, right. My mind was ever so helpful…I’m sure that they’ll keep in touch for maybe a day or two before celeb-reality kicks in and they forget all about me. I disguised my thoughts with a faint smile. “Take care of yourselves. Don’t get too overheated.” Shannon grinned and waved before climbing into the car. Hands in his pockets, Jared loitered by the bottom step as Tomo just hugged me and whispered a quick goodbye.

“Stay safe. We’ll email you when we can.” Nodding, I waved him off. As he headed to the car, Jared mounted the stairs in two leaping steps and caught me up in a tight hug. The lump in my chest grew to choking point and to cover it up, I hugged him just as tightly.

“Thank you for saving my brother. You have no idea how much it means to me, and for it, you will always have a place in all of our thoughts. These last few days have really been something special, and I feel like we’ve been friends for so much longer. You take care, ok?” I nodded against his chest, not ready to face my own reality.

“You too. Thank you for all this. It was a fantastic time while it lasted, but you have fans who are waiting. Go kick some butt! I know you always do.” With a small smile, I released my hug and stepped back into the doorway.

“Let us know when you graduate, ok? We’ll try to make it.” I nodded an affirmative, knowing in my heart that they would probably never make it. “Until then, study hard and I know you can make it.” His own smile was cheerless as he hopped off the stoop and shuffled to the car in the driveway. As the door shut, I waved a final goodbye and headed inside before I let the tears slide free. Why did life have to be so hard?

---------------------------------------

Starting school again was so hard. My mind kept turning to the guys and how they were doing. Before I knew it, a month had passed, and I hadn’t even bothered checking my personal email. After lab, I sat at my desk in my room, staring at the webpage. I couldn’t believe it. 16 unread emails from Jared and the guys. That’s four each week. Embarrassment heated up my face as I rushed to read them all. Most of them were just about the tour and how everyone was doing, but the more recent ones started to become filled with what sounded like concern. The last one had me rushing to send a reply.

From: <rockstarforMars@yadayada.com>
To: <Maddiegurl64@blahblahblah.com>

Maddie,
Is everything ok? You haven’t been responding in awhile…We’re kind of worried you fell off the face of the earth. I hope we’ve got the right email for you.


I stared at the blank message box, wondering what to say. I never expected them to actually respond. The date on the most recent one was six days ago. Finally, I just started typing what was on my mind.

From: <Maddiegurl64@blahblahblah.com>
To: <rockstarforMars@yadayada.com>

Hey. I’m so sorry. Life kind of got away from me once school started back up. Honestly, I’m surprised to have so many emails. Don’t take this the wrong way, but I didn’t think you would actually keep in touch. After all, you’re celebrities, and I’m just an ordinary person. I’m glad to hear from you again. Tell Tomo and Shannon I say hi, and I’m not dead, just swamped with work. Just another semester to go and then I graduate. I hope you are doing well.


I hit send and waited a few seconds with baited breath. Hopefully he wouldn’t be too mad. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t thrilled to see that they were keeping their promise to keep in touch so far. The smile on my face lasted the rest of the evening.

Classes and labs breezed by, aided by a light heart and good friends. As I walked around campus with Sarah—my long-time college pal—I couldn’t help the flutter of excitement I got just thinking about getting back and checking my mail.

“You’re sure in a good mood for someone who just spent the last three hours with a dead body and a scalpel.” Laughing, I bounced for a few steps before resuming my walk.

“I’m just enjoying the fresh air.” I love Sarah dearly—like a sister, in fact—but I couldn’t tell her I was friends with 30 Seconds to Mars…not yet anyway. She’d freak out. In no time, I reached graduate housing and headed up to my room, trying not to break into a run from my excitement. My patience was rewarded when I saw I had a new email.

From: <rockstarforMars@yadayada.com>
To: <Maddiegurl64@blahblahblah.com>

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!!! I thought you had died or something. I’m glad you’re ok. Congrats on the final semester! Do you know what date you graduate? As for the celebrity bit, this is all of our thoughts: we’re ordinary people too, just with extraordinary jobs. Besides, you’re a wonderful friend. Don’t let a little fame ruin a good friendship—Shannon came up with that last one. The tour’s almost over, and we’re kind of sad, but also kind of glad. We’re already coming up with new stuff, and we wanna have some down time before we start on it. Maybe we can bump into each other, huh? Until then

Jared, Shannon, and Tomo…and the blackberry that has taken over us all


The last line made me burst into a fit of giggles. The guys’ words made a weight lift from my chest. They still cared about me. The thought made me tear up slightly. With all the weeks of worrying, I now felt really silly. Wiping away the built up moisture from my eyes, I started to type back.

From: <Maddiegurl64@blahblahblah.com>
To: <rockstarforMars@yadayada.com>

Glad to still be you guys’ friend. Graduation is set for May 14th…It’s one of the last several dates on your tour. I already checked. It’s ok though. We can always “bump into each other” as you say. *smiley face* I look forward to seeing what you all have come up with. I know it’ll be great like always. On another note, you guys should wrap your heads in tinfoil to keep the blackberries from taking over your mind. Hahaha. I loved the signature on the last email. Take care Jared, Tomo, and Shannon. To the blackberries: keep away from my guys! You can’t handle their creativity.

Maddie…and all the geese who are taking over the yard outside.


After I hit send, I stretched my arms over my head and yawned. Before I could exit, my email dinged with a new message. Curious, I opened it, and immediately smiled. Jared must be online for such a quick response.

From: <rockstarforMars@yadayada.com>
To: <Maddiegurl64@blahblahblah.com>

Well damn…I wish we could make it. When you get a chance, check your snail mail ok? I know you’re birthday’s coming up. How do you feel about turning the big 2-6? Found any grey hairs yet? Lskdjf; I hit him for you Maddie—Shanimal. Hope you have a good one. We’ll sing happy birthday for you over the phone once Jared gets his fixed. He dropped it in the shower and it died. Miss you!


I had been wondering why they hadn’t called. The thought of Jared using his phone in the shower made me laugh. I sent a quick response to them, telling I missed them too and that they really didn’t need to send me anything. Standing up, I shut my computer off and headed to the kitchen to make dinner. This Saturday, I’d be going home for fall break. I could check my mail then. Luckily, my birthday was over break as well—October 28th. Where did time go?
♠ ♠ ♠
Because I love all my readers so much, here is a bunch of uploads for you. :) I'm on a roll today. As a disclaimer: none of the emails are real as far as I know. If they are, sorry to whoever owns them! I just thought of random emails, promise! Hope you like the chapter.